Hammock
    DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle
    Just realized that I didn't subscribe to my own thread and missed all of your posts. I would have been posting along with ya. Still a learning curve here. HAHA

I once again have to work at the hospital on the dates you guys have picked out. But I'd be down for another hang in May or June if you guys are down for it.

Been doing some work on the house these past few months and plan on selling it this summer. But I did manage to complete my DIY hammock in the middle of putting tile down. Just need some tree straps and a make-shift tarp and I'm game for a few nights out.

Mental note "subscribe to your own threads"
    "Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth." - Jules Verne

Hammock
    DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    So, in prep for this trip, I ordered me an REI FlexLite chair to carry in with me, vs my five pound sporting good's store chain special. Chair came in on Tuesday, and I think I'm gonna like it.

Fired up the dehydrator to make sure I had plenty of my chicken and veggies...

I'm looking forward to this trip. Gonna miss Weasel...but will be good to see you folks out there, and nice to do a bit of hiking along with the camping.
    I too, have been using the good ol' dehydrator, dehydrating left overs. Do you use a vacuum sealer or just zip-lock bags?
    "Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth." - Jules Verne

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by namnat View Post
    I too, have been using the good ol' dehydrator, dehydrating left overs. Do you use a vacuum sealer or just zip-lock bags?
    I have a vacuum sealer, but tend to use what I dehydrate so fast I've not really made good use of it.

Right now I just normally use ziplocs. Since most of my fave meals are simple things like Knorr rice packets or Idahoan potato packets with dehydrated chicken and veggies (california mix), I usually just carry the meat and veggies each in seperate bags, and leave the store bought stuff in their original packets, and combine them all in my cookpot/eating pot.

Sorry you can't make it out...we'll try to have a decent trip report!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by namnat View Post
    Been doing some work on the house these past few months and plan on selling it this summer. But I did manage to complete my DIY hammock in the middle of putting tile down. Just need some tree straps and a make-shift tarp and I'm game for a few nights out.
    You can get a Wal-mart cheap blue tarp for about $7, and a set of ratchet straps that are easy to convert into tree straps for about $10.

I plan on demo'ing a "cheap, Wal-mart special" setup in my hammock camping demo at Backwoods in April. I'm gonna use a $24 single layer hammock I found there this past week, along with a wally blue pad, blue tarp, and the same tree straps I use to hang my HH that I bought there as well. It might not be the lightest setup, but it will be the cheapest.

Hammock
    DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle

Re: KS>Perry Lake Trail>Primitive Hiking

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    You can get a Wal-mart cheap blue tarp for about $7, and a set of ratchet straps that are easy to convert into tree straps for about $10.

I plan on demo'ing a "cheap, Wal-mart special" setup in my hammock camping demo at Backwoods in April. I'm gonna use a $24 single layer hammock I found there this past week, along with a wally blue pad, blue tarp, and the same tree straps I use to hang my HH that I bought there as well. It might not be the lightest setup, but it will be the cheapest.
    Would those ratchet straps really work? I've actually thought about buying a set and using those as tree straps. What are they usually made out of? Nylon? I could never find out what they were made of.

if they're polyester you're good.
    nylon stretches overnight.
    I like the cinch straps with the cam buckle better than rachet straps.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by 1066vik View Post
    if they're polyester you're good.
    nylon stretches overnight.
    I like the cinch straps with the cam buckle better than rachet straps.
    I'm not sure what mine are made of. They were ratchet straps, but it was easy enough to slide them back out of the ratcheting portion of the device. I thought about cutting the end hooks off, but found they work to connect the strap around a tree just like using a 'biner, so I've left them on.

Haven't noticed any stretch with mine over several nights of use, so they work for me.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopies/DutchStuf
    Yes Hoot would not Miss Hanging with Owl or MOG Master Shamen.

I will be there!
    Hoot's YouTube Channel - Please Subscribe!

Hoot's Facebook Page - Visit it and give it a Like!

Just an FYI

I've hiked/backpacked most of that trail, although the backpacking was about 25 years ago. I thought you might like to know another group will likely be out there hiking around that weekend.

Old Military Trail Wildflower Walk • Jefferson County
    Casey's General Store • 150 Main Street • Ozawkie, KS • Map
    Sat, Apr 6th @ 1pm

Meet at the Casey's General Store in Ozawkie at 1pm. From there, we will carpool to the trail head of the Old Military Trail. The trail is rich with spring woodland wildflowers. Some flowers we hope to see are Dutchman's breeches and trout lilies. Contact Fred & Nancy if you plan to attend.

no worries - we're friendly and there's plenty of trail to go around!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast