DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle

KS>Perry Lake Trail>Primitive Hiking

I don't know if I am posting in the correct place but I thought this should be known if not already known. Mods let me know if this is in the wrong spot and I'll gladly move it.

Perry Lake Trail is a 4 section, 30 mile trail located on Perry Lake here in Kansas. Located between Lawrence and Topeka KS. Here's a link to look at. Trail Info

I received an email from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers of Perry Lake, where I asked them about hammocking along the trail.

The Email:

Hi Tanner. We do allow primitive camping along the trail, including hammock camping, we just ask that you practice good "Leave no Trace" ethics. Be careful with your distance of camping 200 feet away from the trail, as in some cases our government boundary is closer than 200 feet, so be sure you are on government property and do not stray onto adjacent private property. It's interesting that you mention hammock camping; I had a phone call this past week of a hiker who was planning to hike the entire trail this past President's Day weekend and use his hammock for camping. Sounds like a great way to go - I'll have to try it! :-)

Enjoy your hike on the trail. If you have any other questions, please let me know -- happy to help.

Bunnie Watkins
    Natural Resource Manager
    U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
    Perry Lake
    816-389-3921

I'm supper excited that they allow both hammocks and primitive camping along the trail. I cant wait to get all my gear ready and head out and "thru hike" this trail.

So again, Just wanted to pass this info on to anyone interested. Thanks!
    "Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth." - Jules Verne

Hammock
    HH/ WBRR
    Tarp
    OES / Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UG
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    That's good to know. We've got a few good places close by for a hang.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Hey, Namnat...wanna host a hang there? If you know the locale, I'm willing to come out to someone else's hang! I'd enjoy making this run with someone who's hiked/camped out there before...looks like the scenery would be awesome!
    Last edited by Owl; 02-27-2013 at 13:17.

Hammock
    DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle

Re: KS>Perry Lake Trail>Primitive Hiking

I have yet to go out there. Waiting for the weather to get warmer. But in the near future I would love to group hike and hang out there. Just have to get a few more things added to my gear list and I'm game.
    "Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth." - Jules Verne

Hammock
    DIY Dbl Layer 1.1 oz ACU
    Tarp
    WB, SF
    Insulation
    Jacks-r-Better
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by namnat View Post
    I have yet to go out there. Waiting for the weather to get warmer. But in the near future I would love to group hike and hang out there. Just have to get a few more things added to my gear list and I'm game.
    Hoot and I are watching this develop.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV

"He enjoys true leisure who has time to improve his soul's estate."
    --Henry David Thoreau

subscribed and interested.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    I am watching this one as well. It looks like a good one to break in some new gear on!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Well, I don't know the site at all, but looking at the maps, it gives me some ideas to bounce off of y'all.

What kind of distance would we like to cover each day, and how many days would we like to plan for on a hang?

I do NOT know this site...looking at the topo maps, I'm guessing there's some up and down, but it doesn't look severe.

Would we like to plan on meeting as a group and camping out near a trailhead on a Friday afternoon/evening, and then doing a hike/relocate on Saturday, camp that night, and then a hike back out on Sunday?

I'm a very experienced camper...I'm not an experienced (civilian method) backpacker. Even as out of shape as I am, I am pretty confidant that I can cover pretty good ground with the gear I have...so I'm looking for others to provide some guidance on how we might want to plan a trip like this, since it's not something I've tried doing for others with varying levels of conditioning/experience.

Chime in folks...and maybe we'll put together something out of all of this.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    Owl'S last post sounds like a good plan to me, camp on trailhead friday, hike in saturday, hike out sunday. Also like him kinda out of shape but working on building up by practicing on weekends, evenings with pack. Expecting to hold my own on this one if it goes through.

Hammock
    DIY Dbl Layer 1.1 oz ACU
    Tarp
    WB, SF
    Insulation
    Jacks-r-Better
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    I have been looking hard at the Section 2 East map (Old Military Trail) since last year. Total distance for this section is ~3.5 miles. According to the section description, there is a hike-in camping area (allegedly).4 miles from the trail head. But if off-trail camping IS allowed along the trail I think we could push on to an area near the dog-leg east of "Solitude Point"; ~1/2 way. We could (plan to) continue on Saturday, were Sect 2 East/West meet...and do the whole thing Sunday. Total miles: 7

It may be a bit much for some folks, and that is fine, I definitely don't want to scare anyone off from a hang. I just like being out in the trees and a plan's to start somewhere...

Just a thought...feel free to pull out the red pens and let "bleeding" commence.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV

"He enjoys true leisure who has time to improve his soul's estate."
    --Henry David Thoreau

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast