Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Light weight DWR ripstop

We received some DWR nylon ripstop for 2 Bridge Under Quilts the other day from Quest Outfitters. The 1.1 oz uncoated ripstop they list here. We got the black and the purple (almost black).

I was expecting the final weight to be closer to 1.4 oz/sq yd and was very pleasantly surprised to have the final weights come to 1.17 oz/sq yd for the purple and 1.16 oz/sq yd for the black.

The fabric is soft and silky against the skin and really feels good. It doesn't have that stiff feeling I have experienced with some DWR treated nylon ripstops.

I noticed on the Mountain Laurel Designs web site, that Ron lists the weight of Momentum at 1.05 oz/ sq yd. Thru Hiker lists his weight at 0.9 oz/sq yd. My experience in the past with listed weights is that they usually list the weight of the raw fabric before coating/impregnation/etc and so the final delivered weight is usually a little to a lot higher than listed. In my dealings with Ron in the past, he has usually listed the final delivered weight.

Has anybody used the Momentum from Thru-Hiker and measured the delivered weight??

I was considering using the Momentum, but couldn't justify the cost. Even if the Thru-Hiker weight is the final weight, that would have only come to 0.27 oz/sq yd less than Quest's ripstop which seemed too little for a lot of money, approximately double the price. If the final weight of Thru-Hikers is closer to what Ron lists at MLD, then it would seem that the weight savings is even pricer than I thought since the weight difference then is only 0.12 oz/sq yd which makes for a difference of less than 0.5 oz for one of my under quilts and hardly seems worth double the price.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    I was considering using the Momentum, but couldn't justify the cost. Even if the Thru-Hiker weight is the final weight, that would have only come to 0.27 oz/sq yd less than Quest's ripstop which seemed too little for a lot of money, approximately double the price. If the final weight of Thru-Hikers is closer to what Ron lists at MLD, then it would seem that the weight savings is even pricer than I thought since the weight difference then is only 0.12 oz/sq yd which makes for a difference of less than 0.5 oz for one of my under quilts and hardly seems worth double the price.
    I agree with that logic!

Supposedly the deal with Mom 90 is not only its weight but also its weather resistance.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Supposedly the deal with Mom 90 is not only its weight but also its weather resistance.
    Take-a-knee - you are right.

In investigating the MLD web site further, it would appear that the Momentum is more water resistant than DWR nylon. They cite a test they performed with standing water and the Momentum performing much better.

They attribute the greater performance to both DWR, calendering and a tight weave. But then plain old DWR nylon ripstop can be, and sometimes (usually?) is, also calendered. Momentum isn't ripstop which is a disadvantage for a quilt, but the tight weave is an advantage. I wonder if it is a tighter weave than 1.1 ripstop and, if so, how much tighter? Thru-Hiker cites his DWR 1.1 as 30 denier, Quest cites theirs as 40 denier and MLD cites their Momentum as 20 denier. Thru-Hiker doesn't cite a denier value on their Momentum. I assume that 20 denier could get a tighter weave than 30 or 40. Don't know that it would be a linear relationship though. Calendering would make the weave on either tighter. I think the denier on microfiber is in the single digits and I know from experience that once the DWR is washed off, it isn't any more water resistant than plain old 30 denier ripstop. At least for the jacket I have.

Only as an under quilt, I doubt that standing water is a problem. MLD prefers Momentum where exposure, such as in bivys or inside bivys, is a real problem. Under quilts shouldn't be that exposed.

So I'm still not convinced, that for an under quilt, it is worth twice as much money.

I've used both 1.1 and Mom90. For my time on a project I never skimp on materials and it's still a deal in my mind. And the 1.1 quilts definitely spend more time at home...they just don't have as nice of a feel to them. And I have found the weather resistance of Mom90 to be higher, rain spray beads right up on the underquilt, so less need for house sized tarp and undercovers unless rain will be heavy. Just my opinion.

Christian

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x12 Sil Nylon
    Insulation
    Peapod
    Images
    Thru-Hiker Momentum 3.8 oz for a piece that's 74 in x 57.5 in.

3.8 oz / 3.19 yd*yd = 1.2 oz/yd*yd

Why ripstop? According to Roger Caffin at http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Fabrics.htm
    "First, modern synthetics don't tear very easily, ... The addition of the ripstop thread adds no strength in practice."
    He claims 27 years as a research scientist in textiles, so he should know what he is talking about.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by I Splice View Post
    Thru-Hiker Momentum 3.8 oz for a piece that's 74 in x 57.5 in.

3.8 oz / 3.19 yd*yd = 1.2 oz/yd*yd

Why ripstop? According to Roger Caffin at http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Fabrics.htm
    "First, modern synthetics don't tear very easily, ... The addition of the ripstop thread adds no strength in practice."
    He claims 27 years as a research scientist in textiles, so he should know what he is talking about.
    Thanks I Splice.

So it's essentially the same weight as the Quest DWR.

Sounds like Thru-Hiler is citing the raw fabric weight which he got from his fabric source like most venders do. That's why I was very pleasantly surprised by the final delivered weight of the Quest ripstop.

We've been handling the Quest 1.1 DWR ripstop and it feels very soft and silky to everybody here.

So, for us, the extra price would be for the state of the art DWR applied.

I've read many pro and con opinions about the ripstop thread from quite a few experts. It's kind of like expert witnesses in court, whichever opinion you want, you can get by simply shopping around. Not implying that you did or anything like that, but I finally got tired of reading the pro and cons and just ordered what was online at a reasonable price and if the ripstop thread adds anything, then it's essentially free.

Again, thanks for th input on the Momentum weight. Everybody around here feels better now about our decision to go with the Quest ripstop.

• + New Posts