Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    OP:
    You are not especially large among male hmmkrs, here. Maybe we're self-selected princesses who can feel that pebble beneath the pad or mattress, so need to sleep above them. Or maybe some of us compress the foam to the point that anyone would feel it.

On size: Mostly pay attention, within a maker's line, to bed size. I say "within a maker's line" because different fabrics and construction between makers challenge comparison of hmmks on feeling of size.

There are expressions of shock here and elsewhere at the total price of a big Clark package; but here, at least, few people fail to remark on the NX-250 seeming large, even cavernous. Yet it is shorter and narrower than many other hammocks offered commercially. I'd tell you that is due, in part, to visuals, the importance of getting netting and fabric you see away from you. If the motel room you rent is painted and decorated to look larger, and has a great view through a big window, who is to say you are wrong for preferring it for it feeling roomy and not cramped?

Leaving out the Vertex and Flex180, Clark used to use just 2 bed sizes, an 8' and a 9'. the 9' is also 3-4" wider. Just now, Clark seems to up-sizing, replacing the 8' models with same or similar that are 8.5" long. The NA and new Tropical / UL have those 8.5' beds.

Hammocks have been made commercially for a couple of decades and longer. 8' was a standard length. It is hard to believe that to save $1-$3, mfgs left a foot off of length. True, we are mostly heavier than the previous generation, but there ARE 6' folks who are comfortable in an 8' hammock, especially a Clark. True, they may mostly be........narrower than you are.

While weathershields (or integrated overcovers) have their fans, me included, go back a year or two here at HF and most nobody except some Clark owners had them. Or they were regarded as just for deep-winter use. For the $50 upcharge on some Clarks, I regard them as a bargain, albeit an 8oz penalty. That said, with so many comfortable for so long without a weathershield, and with so many preferring underquilts to Clark's system of pads, the models Clark calls"Tropical" are as suitable for winter use as any hammock in my opinion and comparative experience.

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps

Nx vs tx

I just upgraded from an NX 150 to the new tropical TX 250. The 250 is a foot longer than the NX and TX 150, and the 4 pockets are moved to the very ends. As far as the 6- pocket models go, I started with a North American, and up graded to a NX150 for to the spreader system. Sadly, it has been my experience that in temps over 85 deg. they're virtually uninhabitable, since you're wrapped in a 3-layer nylon blanket. Without a good breeze you're sauteed in sweat. Just got the new TX 250 and am looking forward to some coolness. The bottom is only one layer of fabric, so it should be cooler. After all the T stands for Tropical.

Hammock
    Clark NX-150
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG top and under
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    Just teaching a man how to fish.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, and he'll drink all your beer.

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    well I bought one in the classifieds section. It's an NX250 with whoops. I'll be sure to post up once I get it. Thanks again.

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    OP:
    Leaving out the Vertex and Flex180, Clark used to use just 2 bed sizes, an 8' and a 9'. the 9' is also 3-4" wider. Just now, Clark seems to up-sizing, replacing the 8' models with same or similar that are 8.5" long. The NA and new Tropical / UL have those 8.5' beds.
    Yep, I'm told that I'd fit in the "new" NA. My older version is too small. I have an NX 200 which is very nice.

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    well I joined the ranks today. I purchased a used NX250 and had it up in the backyard this afternoon. This is a very comfy hammock. I hope to have a hang this weekend but now it's looking like rain may cancel that one. ........The sale also included a camp clark tarp but I think I'm going to stay with a Warbonnett big mamajama spin tarp for now. This is one cool hammock. ........once I get my BIAS hammock I should be done buying hammocks for a while.

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    well today I re-did the suspension. The fixed end of the whoopie was set up going towards the tree with the adjustable end going through a drip ring and continuous loop near the hammock. I switched the fixed end going through the end of the hammock and the adjustable end going towards the tree. This eliminated the drip wing/continuous loop/straps that were on the hammock. It's definitely alot more clean setting it up this way.

I also put the hammock/suspension in a WBBB stuff sack to try to get it to compress as much as possible. It was a VERY tight fit but it went in there.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    And, as your picture shows, no calf ridge in the NX-250! One of Clark's under appreciated and under advertised features...
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Silos

Passinthru:

Having an mfg-specific sub-forum means that your observation will be, for the most part, lost to those not visiting every day, or already Clark owners.

Also: In truth it is possible to get a pair of nasty calf-ridges by hanging this (and most?) hammocks too tight.

Here: Every night in a Clark. And with a supposedly too-small - (and too light, too?) Clark rain-fly as well, that minimizes necessary between-tree distance, with plenty of protection in porch mode.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 03-22-2013 at 15:48.

Love my NX-250. I'm 6' 210 and there's plenty of room... I could gain a few pounds and still be good to go. Best way to camp that there is.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast