Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    1.1 DOUBLE WBBB
    Tarp
    EDGE
    Suspension
    webbing

To pad or not to pad

alright I tried out my new blackbird 1.1 double and love it, now im debating whether or not i even need my sleeping pad OR selling it and getting a thinner one(currently have a thermarest neo air trekker 2+ inches thick) Im thinking maybe one of the self inflating ones might work better like a thermarest trail lite....does the pad float around much while trying to sleep on it? i really dont want to fight it all night long...thanks!

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    Diy down u.q.&t.q.
    Suspension
    Web&cinch buckles
    Images
    i used a gossamer gear 1/4" pad before i got an underquilt. its 39" x 59" so you dont have the issues of it being to narrow and slipping out, you can trim it to fit, its light ( but a bit bulky to pack) and less than 40 bucks.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    For me when it comes to gathered end hammocks I need an underquilt. That keeps me really warm. I love using pads in bridge hammocks because they fit so perfectly in the provided pad pouch. When I was using a pad in the blackbird I kept rolling off of it (restless sleeper). If you are going to sell and buy, look into getting a underquilt maybe instead

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I tried to use a pad in my BB last fall when I got caught with colder than expected temps. For me it was a total disaster....I have no idea how the pad got twisted/turned while I was sleeping but by the time I got up most of the pad was pushed out from under me and into the shelf/footbox areas. I haven't tried on the RR but have on the JRB bridge and it seemed to work fine. A pad in the BB just isn't a good option for me.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Despite spending ~$60 on a Big Agnes Air Core pad, I really prefer regular old CCF. It has a tackiness that seems to prevent it from slipping around, and actually the 'comfort' provided by air pads is quite uncomfortable in hammock for me... The only downside is the CCF does act as a VB below you, so you will get some condensation. So far I've been able to minimize that by wearing a base layer to sleep in... But we will see what Summer temps have to say about that.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Add an SPE/EnoHotSpot to the pad/pads and it will work so much better in the hammock.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I bought a hammock to get off the ground and relieve pressures that is felt when sleeping on the ground. Adding a pad made the hammock stiffer, like I was sleeping on the ground. It seems to me, the pad defeats the purpose of a hammock. So far, I've enjoyed sleeping comfortably with my Hammock Gear underquilt. I'll even toss in a mummy style sleeping bag to sleep on top of, adding more fluffy comfort. Just thinking about it makes me wanna set it up right now and go to sleep in the backyard...

Everyone sleeps differently. Don't panic if it doesn't work out the first time. Have a backup plan in case it doesn't work out. Learning is half the battle.
    Last edited by cesnyderces; 02-22-2013 at 01:04. Reason: grammar improved, to had
    Charles

Quest Velomobile QB005

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    I've used pads and they have worked for me for many years. I've used Thermarests, big Agnes, Ridge rest and CCF of various types. After a while, although asleep, I find you get somewhat conscious to the pad beneath you and don' squirm around as much and still get a good sleep. The double layer is great for pad placement.

Just get one wide enough or you bounce back and forth all night as you play "cold shoulder ping pong" as your sides touch the uninsulated sides of the hammock off the pad.

Images
    many people find air pads to move around more than foam, other's prefer the confort of an air pad over foam. you should try both

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I don't think anyone pointed out the width issue in plain language. A pad underneath helps with CBS but you also need some side insulation. A wide pad like Gossamer Gear sells or a SPE like Shug pictured puts some insulation up where your shoulders/arms/knees can come in contact with the sides of he hammock. They are at the same temperature as the surrounding air. Down collapses under pressure and you get a cold spot.

Quits address it by being wide enough to insulate the cold spots on the outside.

Pads need to be wide enough to wrap around your shoulders and maybe your knees. The easy low cost way is to cross two CCF pads between the layers. They can be cut to lengths that suite. Increasing in price is the wide pads than the SPE. OTOH the SPE lets one use smaller pads that are easier to handle.

The relatively low compressibility of CCF makes it easy to use between layers that also more or less hold it in place. That will not work as well with an air pad but you can put that inside.

I'd start with two CCF pads. The better one's have smaller pores if there is a choice. They are softer to fold around you but still do not compress much. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast