Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 questions.

2 questions.

I am getting my DIY materials together, and I just want to make sure 1.1 oz 2nds from backwoods day dreamer would work. Also, I am whipping the ends so is it necessary to hem the top and bottom since no strain will be on the end. I am converting as many people as I can to the hanging lifestyle at my university, I'm hosting a DIY hammock event so I want to make sure my material is up to snuff ! Thank you for your help!

See you on the trail!

Hammock
    ENO DN/DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I assume you are making a hammock! 1.1 oz should be good to about 200 lbs, but I wouldn't do more load than that.

I would hem all the edges of the hammock body. You may want to checkout the tableclothfactory hammock 'blanks'. They do all the hemming for you!

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: 2 questions.

Yeah it should be fine, lost_biker uses it for quilt shells that he sells so it is obviously downproof and great quality.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    Yeah it should be fine, lost_biker uses it for quilt shells that he sells so it is obviously downproof and great quality.

Quilt material and hammock material are two different things. Your body weight would be the determining factor as to weather it would work. For a hammock, make sure that the material is not sil. You would then be hanging in a bathtub.. I have not used one of the tablecloth hammock blanks, but alot have, and have had no problems. As for whipping the ends, if you sew ahem at the end, it gives the whipping something to hold on to. If you don't have a hem/channel at the end, I would think the whipping could pull right off the end of the hammock. That would be a rude awakening at 2am..........RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    If you ordered the olive, you may find that the edges have been heat cut. All of the seconds green I have ordered had the selvage removed by hot knife, so no hemming would be required. Some people add a hem to the ends even if they are whipping the hammock to give the cord something extra to grab onto. You will get a different lay with a whipped hammock vs. a hemmed channel hammock. My first DIY was 1.9 ripstop. I had whipped the ends at first, but really decided that I didn't like they way it felt when in it. I unwhipped it and added channels to the ends. It felt much roomier that way. I never could get a great comfort level in it, but I think it had to do with it being rather short. I would suggest making your hammock at least 10' long. 10.5-11' would be even better.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Quote Originally Posted by Arothian View Post
    I assume you are making a hammock! 1.1 oz should be good to about 200 lbs, but I wouldn't do more load than that.

I would hem all the edges of the hammock body. You may want to checkout the tableclothfactory hammock 'blanks'. They do all the hemming for you!
    Hmm, I am 6' 185# so that might be cutting it close, plus I am not sure about the other people who will be making them! I cannot seem to find the hammock blanks! Is there a link to follow?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    If you don't have a hem/channel at the end, I would think the whipping could pull right off the end of the hammock. That would be a rude awakening at 2am..........RR
    I am looking to make hammocks. Very true! Probably wouldn't be the best idea to cut that corner

Quote Originally Posted by Junebugdawn View Post
    If you ordered the olive, you may find that the edges have been heat cut. All of the seconds green I have ordered had the selvage removed by hot knife, so no hemming would be required.
    That is very good to know! Do you find that the hot knife seal has held up well?

Hammock
    Eno Dn, Sn, DIY &quot;Ahote&quot;
    Tarp
    DIY soon
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie and straps
    Heres the link for Hammock blanks from DIY Gear Supply

http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/p...hable-fabrics/

And this one is for Tablecloth factory

http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/ta...shes-s/132.htm

Good Luck!
    Enjoy life's journey, but leave no tracks...

Mahna Mahna...

"The more we hang, the more we have to leave in the end" -Gresh

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I'm 6' and hover around 220lbs and I've been sleeping in a 1.0 WWM for over 6 months with no ill effects. I just finished a 1.1 and it seems very solid.

However, if you are using nylon, then yes....you want to hem the edges all the way around.

I would buy the 126x60 tablecloths. They are very comfortable and come already hemmed. Just my 2 cents (for what it's worth)
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    90&quot;x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by hofer150 View Post
    That is very good to know! Do you find that the hot knife seal has held up well?

Well, I haven't used the seconds in a hammock. I used it for quilts. I never had issue with it raveling while sewing those edges. I used a soldering iron/wood burning tool on the ripstop that I made my first hammock with. It held up very well. Never has raveled. It is a nice smooth edge. Whenever I work with ripstop, I cut it with the hot tool. It makes it so much easier not to have to hem those edges.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Quote Originally Posted by Junebugdawn View Post
    Well, I haven't used the seconds in a hammock. I used it for quilts. I never had issue with it raveling while sewing those edges. I used a soldering iron/wood burning tool on the ripstop that I made my first hammock with. It held up very well. Never has raveled. It is a nice smooth edge. Whenever I work with ripstop, I cut it with the hot tool. It makes it so much easier not to have to hem those edges.
    Wow, that does sound pretty slick! What does a hot iron like that cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    I'm 6' and hover around 220lbs and I've been sleeping in a 1.0 WWM for over 6 months with no ill effects. I just finished a 1.1 and it seems very solid.

However, if you are using nylon, then yes....you want to hem the edges all the way around.

I would buy the 126x60 tablecloths. They are very comfortable and come already hemmed. Just my 2 cents (for what it's worth)
    Great! I think the table cloth factory offers quite a reasonable price for their Crinkle Taffeta. I'm sure almost none of the people I will be working with will mind the extra weight. How does the taffeta compare with ripstop?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast