tenth wonder xl
    Tarp
    army basha
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    in development

noob suspension question.

Have been wading through all the different methods.
    Whoopie slings scare me - very thin and I haven't built that kind of confidence yet.
    saw this video on my trawls and it looks kind of simple.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6ag9he2Z8w
    any advice as to whether it would manage 240 llbs?

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I cant watch the video because I am at work but may I suggest using either a strap suspension like the WBBB does or using Amsteel 7/64 woopies. The woopies that look super thin are probably dynaglide woopies however at 240lbs 7/64 Amsteel will be plenty strong enough to hold you. Hope this helps, welcome to the forum and I've always wanted to visit Ireland,
    LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    OK....where to even begin. I watched the whole video. The positives first...he has a cool hat and a cool accent. Um, that's about all I can say positively. I began my hammock hanging experience almost EXACTLY like this! I made tree huggers out of paracord with overhand knots every 6 inches or so and hung my hammock as tightly as I could. I then went to my first group hang, joined this forum and learned there are MUCH MUCH MUCH better ways to hang a hammock. First, the reason he wants the hammock so tight, is because he is lying straight down the middle of the hammock and he is trying to get a flat lay that way. That isn't going to ever be very comfortable. Hammocks are meant to be lain in on a diagonal. By shifting your body into a diagonal position, the hammock takes on a flat surface where your body is. The key to this is having a SAG...the main thing he was trying to AVOID. You don't want to avoid a sag, you actually WANT a sag so you can get that nice diagonal flat lay. How do you get that nice sag?? Two things...first, you want your hammock suspension to be roughly at a 30 degree angle from the trees...second, if you add a structural ridgeline to your hammock, it will help you always have this nice sag. The sag helps with the lay, but also ensures that you are not overly stressing your suspension. On suspension, DO NOT BE AFRAID of whoopie slings just because they are thin. They are more than strong enough to hold even the largest hanger. They are not the only option out there, but they are a good one. If you haven't already, I would suggest watching Shug's Essentials for Noobs series. You will learn a TON OF STUFF and Shug is entertaining, to say the least. Everything he shows you in his series is spot on and safe...even if he often may do insanely crazy things himself. Keep exploring on the forums and asking questions. Everyone here is glad to help. Welcome. :-)

Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB &amp; Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

noob suspension question.

This poor fellow in the video doesn't have a clue on how to set up a hammock. It is stretched piano wire tight and he's using nylon straps, both are bad practice.

The idea of straps with a series of knots with a carabiner is fine. There are a couple of commercial versions of that. However, the straps need to be polyester and the hammock should be set up with lots of sag such that the suspension lines are about 30 degrees off horizontal. (Make a "gun" using your index finger & thumb. An imaginary line from the tip of your finger to the tip of your thumb is close to 30*).

If you backpack, this system is way too heavy and you need to investigate whoopies some more. I'm 200# and hang on 2mm Dynaglide whoopies with total confidence.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings

Re: noob suspension question.

His suspension will work, but I like the sag. Having the hammock that tight puts a lot of stress on everything in the system, including the trees. (search for user dejoha or hang calculator for more details.) It also makes the ridge in some hammocks difficult to deal with and increases calf pressure.

If you don't trust the slings, stick with webbing suspensions. They work for a lot of people. I have a couple hammocks with webbing suspensions and they haven't let me down.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    DIY bridge+10 0thers
    Tarp
    HH Hex + DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ/U Q + DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Cinch Bu
    The Nylon straps he is using will continue to stretch no matter how tight he hangs it. This is the reason he made the second adjustment, trying to compensate for that initial stretch. Been there, done that. Go with the Whoopie slings or UCRs. Welcome to the forum.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I agree with the others...that clown in the first video doesn't have a clue.

Dutch has a great webbing/cinch buckle suspension...http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/featured/cinch-buckle/

Edit...the clown in the second video (Shug)...he does have a clue.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

I agree with the others that plenty sag is the way to go, I also can't see the vid because I'm at work but it looks like a dd hammock... for some reason they recommend hanging the hammock tight with almost no sag. Amsteel 7/64 or 1/8 will hold your weight no problem. Shugs videos are a great resource for hammockers so watch them and I would advise reading the ultimate hang as well... between them they will answer most of your questions as well as some that you didn't know you had.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Edit...the clown in the second video (Shug)...he does have a clue.
    Made me laugh!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jonsfg View Post
    Whoopie slings scare me
    Not as much as that guy's recommendations on suspending a hammock scare me. He should call the video "How not to hang a hammock."

Here's the hammock hang calculator link.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast