DIY-Gathered End
    Tarp
    Speer Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF, KAQ 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

2nd layer alternative?

I'm about to embark on my first DIY hammock project. I've decided to make a Speer-style hammock (with a few modifications), but I am going to use his velcro bug net technique.

With the material that I currently have, I'm going to have about a 60 x 60 square of ripstop left over when I'm finished with the hammock. I was thinking about sewing strips of velcro onto 2-edges and using it as a 2nd layer (I'm calling it a "sling") for a sleeping pad, sleeping pad/space blanket combo for a cool-weather trip in late September/early October.

What are the flaws to this approach? Are there better options for the 60 X 60 ripstop?

Naturally, I wouldn't be able to use the sling and the bug net at the same time, which would limit the versatility, but I don't think I'll need the sling for my July & August trips when I'll certainly need the bug net.

I'm trying to gather as much info as possible before I start cutting and stitching. Any input is welcome.
    "He that lives upon hope will die fasting."

- Benjamin Franklin

Images
    It sounds like a workable idea. You might have to attach the sling with short pieces of shockcord or elastic to keep it tight enought to keep the pad snug against you without peeling it off the velcro. Then again, maybe not. Also, if you attach the opposite velcro to the outside of the sling you can still attach the bugnet. Good luck and be careful. DIY is very addictive!
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    DIY-Gathered End
    Tarp
    Speer Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF, KAQ 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks. The extra strip of velcro on the outside for the bug net is something I'll certainly do if I decide to go forward with this sling idea.

Do you think I'd need to add any slack to the sling? Or should it just fit against the hammock (match up edges of equal width)? Once I climb into the hammock, would there be a danger of the sag pulling the sling off of the velcro?

- Benjamin Franklin

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lobby View Post
    Do you think I'd need to add any slack to the sling? Or should it just fit against the hammock (match up edges of equal width)? Once I climb into the hammock, would there be a danger of the sag pulling the sling off of the velcro?
    That's the part I'm unsure about. It's funny but I've been using the same type idea for a new hammock I'm working on only mine is sewn to the top layer. If sewn, you do not need any slack. I don't know if the velcro would have enough grip to to keep it from slipping while under weight or not. I think it needs to remain fairly tight in order to keep a pad against you without gaps. I don't have velcro around the edges of my hammock or I would give it a try (I'll try most anything, once). All I can suggest is to try it. If it doesn't work you can always rip out the stitching on the velcro and you'll only be out some time and thread. Keep us posted. This seems a good way to double layer a hammock and save a little weight in the process.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    DIY-Gathered End
    Tarp
    Speer Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF, KAQ 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for all of the input. I think I will try it. I'm still in design-phase at the moment- stealing as many ideas as I can from the forums.

I've told myself that I need to finish my interior painting project before I'm allowed to start sewing. I'll post progress and will certainly welcome any additional comments in the meantime.

- Benjamin Franklin

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That's probably enough for a homemade SPE if you decide to try a different approach. Either way, we need pics when you're done!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Backpacker
    Insulation
    None
    What’s the weight difference between extra Velcro vs. Shock Cord? I would imagine the Shock Cord would give a tighter fit and would pack down smaller than the Velcro. With Shock Cords you could use this “sling” for other things, Like a Pack Cover a gear hammock an extra tarp to cook under.

My vote is the shock cord.

• + New Posts