SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: No Sew Tarp Pole Mod(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    That's a good thought. I may have to get some, and give it a try with my SF. I am just not sure if I want to add the pole mod to it. The panel pulls do a really great job of opening it up, and gives the extra guy lines for in the wind. So, I'm still deciding on this one..............RR
    My thoughts were, I know I will want to play with it at some point... And it adds essentially no weight to it maybe an oz at most... And it doesn't get in the way of any other usage so why not have it... And that is true of the 2qzq mod or this one... Although this one can be removed easily and I don't think the 2qzq can be...

Edit.. I'm excited!!! I just got word from 2qzq that my tarp arrived!!! And its a long shot but they may get it shipped out Monday, I told him no rush and to enjoy his weekend...
    Last edited by Brute1100; 02-23-2013 at 12:00.
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    My Superfly is at 2qzq right now getting the single pole mod... Anyways I am going to run a non structural ridgeline under the tarp... I'm not having them out the ribbon in the tarp seam... I'm just going to put in a nacrabiner into the non structural ridgeline to hold up the pole... Might be a simple no knot solution for you...
    Yeah, there were 4 ways I thought of that I mention in the video with which you can secure the pole to the tarp at the ridgeline -

1. Attach a loop to a continuous tarp ridgeline and secure the pole to that (this is what I am currently doing).

2. Run a non-structural line from both ends of the tarp ridgeline and attach a loop to that and secure the pole to that (this is what you mention).

3. Sew ribbon at the ridgeline of the tarp and secure the pole to that (I don't like this as much as you have to permanently alter the tarp).

4. Attach a Grip Clip at the ridgeline of the tarp and secure the pole to that.

There's probably more ways to skin this cat but I couldn't think of any.

Quote Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
    Nice mod. Do you have photos of the tarp pitched in "storm" mode with the doors closed? I appears you cannot get a good seal with the wbrr rigging being so wide.
    I have a Webb with single center pole mod from zq. I really like the structure it provides, especially in high winds.
    Overall great creative idea and well spoken instructional video.
    I don't have any pics, but I think the limiting factors on fully closing the doors on your SF when hung over a WBRR are the suspension triangles, not the hammock itself.

This thread has some pics describing what I'm talking about.

As you can see, the doors would close fine. It's the suspension triangles that get in the way. However, I don't think any tarp on the market would have a ridgeline long enough to enable its doors to fully close around the suspension triangles (14.5 feet from suspension triangle to suspension triangle would warrant a tarp with a 15 foot ridgeline ).

You can still get them closed pretty well though, just not all the way as demonstrated in the pics in the above thread.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    great idea, Tendertoe. Like how it uses simple parts to achieve the purpose.
    Les Rust
    "My goal is to live long enough to become a character."

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings

No Sew Tarp Pole Mod(s)

Some shots from this past weekend.

The poles worked flawlessly.

I unfortunately forgot to get a shot of porch mode. Next time I head out I will.

Head end with doors closed - external

Head end with doors closed - internal

Foot end doors closed - external

Foot end doors closed - internal

Last edited by Tendertoe; 03-24-2013 at 10:03.

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    This is great. This mode made me think of the additional snow loads I would be able to handle with me SF and gathered hammock in the winter. Between the internal RL and the pole mode, I will be able to sleep even better because I not having to worry as much if the snow really starts dumping. I have been in snow storms where every 30-45 minutes I was popping my tarp to get it off my face and get the snow off of it.

Thanks for the tips...subscribed.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Saw it in action Friday and it's as good as it looks in the pics, and going from bunker to porch mode takes 2 seconds and can be done from underneath the tarp and free up your trekking poles.

Absolutely worth it in my opinion and I think that has convinced me to change my purchase plans as far as a tarp.

Just ordered my poles today. Went with Questoutfitters since I've ordered from them before. Easton aluminum .340, Zettlers on Kenny rd. only had 3/8" as the closest size to 5/16", I got them and hoping they work.

Just have to wait for the poles to come in and hook the grommet pieces to the tarp and I'm ready to test it out. Want to have it dialed in by the May Hang.

Thanks again for the vid on this TT, that setup was rock'n'roll.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Just ordered my poles today. Went with Questoutfitters since I've ordered from them before. Easton aluminum .340, Zettlers on Kenny rd. only had 3/8" as the closest size to 5/16", I got them and hoping they work.

Just have to wait for the poles to come in and hook the grommet pieces to the tarp and I'm ready to test it out. Want to have it dialed in by the May Hang.

Thanks again for the vid on this TT, that setup was rock'n'roll.
    Awesome, can't wait to see how it works for you.

If your 3/8'' grommets don't work, Goodale Pro Hardware in Grandview is where I found my 5/16''. Also, any "Do It Best Hardware" can order 5/16" and have them in 2 days in store for with no shipping cost.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    I have to give a shout out to Quest Outfitters.... I placed the order with them and got confirmation right away with shipping costs. Then I received an email two days later with a new LOWER total because they said shipping was less than expected. Who does that?? All I can say is, well I'm telling you all about them.
    Total for the two 54" poles, ends, and shock cord shipped to my door was under $30.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Nice. Let us know how it turns out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast