Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    The holes in the 1/2" Beastee Dee seems to be the right size for the pole ends. Not sure about the long term durability but I think it should be decent.
    2014-07-20 15.44.15.jpg

I ended up doing a crossed double pole mod with these. Not sure if that would work with a bridge hammock or not, but I didn't have to modify the poles at all. So far they've stayed put on their own, but I sewed some ribbon into the ridge line of my new tarp just in case I want it. This is the same stake location with and without the poles.
    2014-06-27 12.08.13.jpgDSC04132.jpgDSC04135.jpg

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Interesting idea with the crossed poles. I'm wondering if it would be more noticeable if the tarp were pitched with a tighter A-frame?

Do you know what the length from corner to corner is vs. the length of the poles?

I found in my testing that when the numbers match, you get the most bang for your buck.

I tried pole lengths that were shorter than the length to cover on the tarp and it didn't fully stretch the tarp to its full potential.

I also tried pole lengths that were longer that the tarp length and it stretched the tarp too much to the point it would wear greatly on the tarp.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    Interesting idea with the crossed poles. I'm wondering if it would be more noticeable if the tarp were pitched with a tighter A-frame?

Do you know what the length from corner to corner is vs. the length of the poles?

I found in my testing that when the numbers match, you get the most bang for your buck.

I tried pole lengths that were shorter than the length to cover on the tarp and it didn't fully stretch the tarp to its full potential.

I also tried pole lengths that were longer that the tarp length and it stretched the tarp too much to the point it would wear greatly on the tarp.
    I got lucky, they are both 11'. The poles might be an inch or so longer, but I just extended my grosgrain pole pockets past the edge of the tarp a little to compensate. On my winter tarp they will be too short to go corner to corner. So, I'm going to try still going edge to edge but bring the points towards the middle of the tarp. We'll see how that works. If I did the math right, they will end up ~8" from the tie outs.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Cool idea. Can't wait to see what you come up with for the winter tarp.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Here is my 'test run' of the double pole mod.

I had a set of fiberglass poles from an old cheap t**t that just happened to be 12' long.

I tried them in the standard mode first(just arched between corners at the same end) and they where just a little flimsy for that. So I figured I'd try to cross them and then I'd only have to connect them where they cross to stabilize them. I used some old 's' hooks of of some rubber tarp straps that I had for the connection.

Seemed to work very well, though if I opt to go cross-poled I will need longer poles as they weren't very taut.

Tarp is an OES 4 season. (First time out with it)

Time to order some Easton poles!

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Nice. These crossed poles are a pretty cool idea too.

You have to carry a bit more pole but it looks like it opens the entire tarp up compared to just the end "hoops".

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Smokehouse 1
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Web
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Stolen and Modified

Hey Folks,

Well, after seeing a masterpiece of tarp goodness at my last hang (UGQ with double pole mod) I wanted to see what I could put together for my Warbonnet Superfly. The pics are a little dark and maybe blurry (I was swatting mosquitoes like a madman).

Here are the bits and pieces, all recycled from the various junk I had laying around. The poles and strap/grommet pieces were scavenged from an old REI half dome that had seen much better days. I pulled out a section from each pole making the 136" each (approx).
    20150726_193056.jpg

Once I attached the loops to the four main pullouts and put in the poles I needed some way to keep them in place. The UGO tarp used some shock cord and a mitten hook to keep them in place but I'm out. Some regular cord and a handy knot seems to do the trick just fine.
    20150726_195113.jpg 20150726_194738.jpg

Again, because of the big hurry I didn't bother staking down the sides. Instead I just pulled the doors together and staked them down to a single point on each end. Overall, I think this turned out great. I'd likely never take this on the trail but as a big, dry area out of the sun and rain this will definitely be on most every car trip this fall.
    20150726_194750.jpg20150726_194814.jpg20150726_194855.jpg

This will need just a bit of refinement but for the amount of money (zero) and time (maybe 30 minutes) I have invested this is a home run!!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Looks great. Always nice recycling old gear too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast