WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings

No Sew Tarp Pole Mod(s)

Firstly, thanks, as always, to Rip Waverly for his input on this project and any project I ever attempt to undertake.

So there are a few uses of this mod.

I am using it to accommodate the spreader bars of my Warbonnet Ridge Runner hammock (or any bridge hammock, for that matter).

You can also use it as a single "traditional" pole mod at the center of your tarp - discussed below.

For the double pole mod to accommodate the WBRR spreader bars you will need -

12 inches of webbing
    12 inches of cordage (I used mason line)
    4 grommets (size 1 [5/16 internal diameter])
    10 - 18 inch poles with insert
    2 - 13 inch poles with insert
    2 - 18 inch poles without insert

4 tie off locking tips
    20 feet of shock cord

If you are doing a single pole mod, cut the above quantities in half and add 2 Grip Clips so you can attach the pole mod to the center of your tarp (no need for Grip Clips if you have a tarp with center bottom tieouts such as an Old Man Winter tarp. Just use the regular method I describe for the corner ties).

I added a scene at the end of the video as an afterthought as I was initially going to do an entirely separate video on a single pole mod with the pole directly in the center of the tarp and also a no sew method. However, it would have been pretty much the same video so I just added those 2 elements at the end of this video.

As mentioned in the video many times, I did end up trimming the finished length to 120'' and it fit the tarp much better (as the total length from corner tieout to corner tieout across the ridgeline is 120", so it makes sense it fits it better than 124" I originally used).

I purchased all of the poles from tentpoletechnologies.com

Total cost was around $80 for the double pole mod so if you're doing a single pole mod it would be about half that.

Total weight 14.5 oz.

Last edited by Tendertoe; 02-22-2013 at 18:54.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3/SSniveller
    Suspension
    Tri-Glide Set
    Thanks for sharing this! Lots of options presented. Does the double pole mod work well in awning mode?
    Still shakin' it Boss, still shakin' it.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings

No Sew Tarp Pole Mod(s)

Sure does. It actually holds the tarp up.

If things get windy, you'd have to secure the tarp to the ground in some way as it'd act like a huge wing.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: No Sew Tarp Pole Mod(s)

My Superfly is at 2qzq right now getting the single pole mod... Anyways I am going to run a non structural ridgeline under the tarp... I'm not having them out the ribbon in the tarp seam... I'm just going to put in a nacrabiner into the non structural ridgeline to hold up the pole... Might be a simple no knot solution for you...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I had problems downloading the video (my end, not yours). Will try again later.

Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    My Superfly is at 2qzq right now getting the single pole mod... Anyways I am going to run a non structural ridgeline under the tarp... I'm not having them out the ribbon in the tarp seam... I'm just going to put in a nacrabiner into the non structural ridgeline to hold up the pole... Might be a simple no knot solution for you...
    This is close to what I did with my Guide Gear tarp. I added little pockets at the guy line tie-outs for the pole to go into. Worked pretty good the first night, then the next day, my poles fell over. So to avoid having more prolems, I ran a piece of paracord, and wrapped it around the poles a couple of times. Kept them from falling. Had the intention of changing it to either zing-it or mason line, with a carbiner/soft shackle attached with a prusik. I also thought about just opening the line and feeding a piece of grosgrain through the middle. Don't know if it would work, but there isn't alot of side pressure on the pole, it kind of just wants to flop over. I only used it with the pole mod one time, the next time I plan on taking it out, I'll make the changes. The only problem is, I now have a SF, and don't know when that will be......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WBBB, Snipe, Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG WP
    Suspension
    whoopies+dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    I'm not having them out the ribbon in the tarp seam...
    How come you didn't want to fasten the pole with the ribbon? I'm in the process of modifying a tarp at the moment. The only bit left to do is something central to hold the pole.
    The none structural ridgeline could be a viable alternative.

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    Nice mod. Do you have photos of the tarp pitched in "storm" mode with the doors closed? I appears you cannot get a good seal with the wbrr rigging being so wide.
    I have a Webb with single center pole mod from zq. I really like the structure it provides, especially in high winds.
    Overall great creative idea and well spoken instructional video.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench,a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free,and good men die like dogs.There's also a negative side"
    Hunter S. Thompson

Greg

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: No Sew Tarp Pole Mod(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suggy View Post
    How come you didn't want to fasten the pole with the ribbon? I'm in the process of modifying a tarp at the moment. The only bit left to do is something central to hold the pole.
    The none structural ridgeline could be a viable alternative.
    There is always concerns when you break into that seam that you will weaken it or cause a leak... I see more uses for having that non structural ridgeline than just tying up the pole so I would have had one anyways... So it just seemed easy enough just to have them not put it in and come up with my own solution... I say come up with my own... Someone else on the forum came up with it, I am just copying... I don't know who, and I never found out how they attached it to the pole, I stumbled into the nacrabiner idea last week and made up a few out of zing it...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3/SSniveller
    Suspension
    Tri-Glide Set

no sewing?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    ...there isn't alot of side pressure on the pole, it kind of just wants to flop over. ......RR
    Could a grosgrain ribbon be secured to the tarp using Seam Grip?
    Still shakin' it Boss, still shakin' it.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fartintone View Post
    Could a grosgrain ribbon be secured to the tarp using Seam Grip?
    That's a good thought. I may have to get some, and give it a try with my SF. I am just not sure if I want to add the pole mod to it. The panel pulls do a really great job of opening it up, and gives the extra guy lines for in the wind. So, I'm still deciding on this one..............RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast