Tarp
    Hawk Tarp™
    Insulation
    Condor Quilts™
    Suspension
    BTS & Whoopies
    Images

Raptor Sleep-Shelter Explained...

Hi everyone, I just wanted to share a new video I made about the Raptor Sleep-Shelter...Please let me know what you all think. VIEW HERE

I also have two offers on THIS THREAD you may be interested in as well.

Thanks
    SurvivaLen
    VersaShelter, inc. -- LIMITED TIME OFFER!> Raptor Sleep-Shelter.
    http://www.versashelter.com * Visit us on Facebook * Follow us on Twitter * Email Us

Hammock
    DangerBird Clark North American
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles/Link
    That looks like a very interesting modular system you have designed.

Hammock
    Falcon Hammock™
    Tarp
    Hawk Tarp™
    Insulation
    Condor Quilts™
    Suspension
    BTS & Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Labrador View Post
    That looks like a very interesting modular system you have designed.
    Thank you,
    SurvivaLen
    http://www.versashelter.com * Visit us on Facebook * Follow us on Twitter * Email Us

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Very interesting looking system. You need some video of someone getting in and out though.

Hammock
    Falcon Hammock™
    Tarp
    Hawk Tarp™
    Insulation
    Condor Quilts™
    Suspension
    BTS & Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NWOHanger View Post
    Very interesting looking system. You need some video of someone getting in and out though.
    Thanks... I agree, at 1:52 on this video Dionne gets out of the hammock.
    That's all I have at the moment, more videos on the way.

Happy Hanging!
    SurvivaLen

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    I was looking at your store page and I am confused. You are advertising a raptor series, but I don't see it anywhere for purchase.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    One question I have, is how does the top quilt work if you are laying on the diagonal? I would think with it being zipped to the hammock edges, it wouldn't lay directly on top of you.

That is a whole lot of omnitape/velcro in all of those add on components. I have omni tape on one end of my BMBH for my bug net, but I find that it wears out over time and loses its ability to stick together as securely.

Omni tape also also adds weight. I realize that you said one zip stick rail weight 75 grams, but for every other one you add that is 75 more grams and that adds up quick.

Another thing I noticed is that the ridgeline you get when sticking 2 fabric panels together is not a structural one. It is just the omnitape holding things together. It also doesn't seem that it can be adjusted based on user preference.

Also what suspension comes with the hammock. All that was shown in the video was the continuous loop on each end and that you had it clipped to a carabiner of some sort.

It's an interesting concept and I hope it works well for you.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I've been toying with a modular attachment system for about a year now, and I've been very impressed by how well it works for some things and how difficult it is to engineer others for it.

Mine's based on Velcro rather than a zipper attachment system; but I can see the attraction of using the zippers with OmniTape, due to how easily OmniTape lets go. Seems a bit fiddly, but I suppose most of that is going to be in the set up at home.

I'm very impressed by the use of the OmniTape as a ridgeline; it makes a lot of sense for that type of system and surely is strong enough to act as a non-structural one (not sure about an SRL, but I'm willing to play with it and see, for sure...). Did you find OmniTape with a polyester (or other non-stretch) backing, or is it the standard nylon backing (which will stretch and change the lie of the hammock during the night if you're relying on it as an SRL)?

The top quilts and underquilts are the two things that I'd have questions about, mostly.

The top quilt seems as if it would have quite a bit of space between it and your body below the head-end attachment point--creating a large(r) air space that your body needs to warm before the trapped air of the insulation. Which, if my understanding of the physics is correct, means that the top quilt will feel colder than a comparably filled quilt that lays directly on top of an user. Have you found that to be true, or am I simply spitting in the wind here?

The underquilt seems as if it's a standard suspension, just with OmniTape along the edges to seal it up better. Was engineering the size specifications for it versus the hammock difficult (this is where I've run into the largest issues with my own modular system), or does the standard suspension with shock cord obviate that issue? If so, I may have to rethink my DIY system...I'm trying to avoid draft issues and make my underquilt "idiot proof" (with me as the designated idiot), and shock cord just doesn't seem to be the answer there.

Thanks for taking the time to demo your product and detail all of its features! I certainly appreciate it, and I hope that your business grows!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Falcon Hammock™
    Tarp
    Hawk Tarp™
    Insulation
    Condor Quilts™
    Suspension
    BTS & Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    One question I have, is how does the top quilt work if you are laying on the diagonal? I would think with it being zipped to the hammock edges, it wouldn't lay directly on top of you.

That is a whole lot of omnitape/velcro in all of those add on components. I have omni tape on one end of my BMBH for my bug net, but I find that it wears out over time and loses its ability to stick together as securely.

Omni tape also also adds weight. I realize that you said one zip stick rail weight 75 grams, but for every other one you add that is 75 more grams and that adds up quick.

Another thing I noticed is that the ridgeline you get when sticking 2 fabric panels together is not a structural one. It is just the omnitape holding things together. It also doesn't seem that it can be adjusted based on user preference.

Also what suspension comes with the hammock. All that was shown in the video was the continuous loop on each end and that you had it clipped to a carabiner of some sort.

It's an interesting concept and I hope it works well for you.

Cheers

Brian
    Hi and thanks for the great questions...The top quilt works fine on the diagonal, I will have a video out on that shortly. I use genuine Velcro brand Omin-Tape with the Raptor, you are right about cheaper brands. In actual daily testing for over two years, it still works effectively. Additionally, once configured, you would use the zipper most of the time. You only need one Zip-Stick Rail and not more than two total, one for each side of the shelter. When the end loops of at least one top fabric panel are connected to the hammock support continuous loops, a structural ridgeline is formed. The top fabric panels are 100 inches long standard size. They can be ordered longer or shorter if desired. I have found that in testing the Raptor, the vast majority of people prefer a 100 inch ridgeline in combination with a 10 foot long hammock to be comfortable. Another interesting feature of the Falcon Hammock is the ability to change the lay using the continuous loops adjustment without affecting the total length of the hammock. As far as suspension are concerned, I offer the Bola-Tree Straps and amsteel 7/64 support lines used with Marlinespike hitch. Hope that helps.

Thanks again for taking the time to look at what I have to offer and make comments, your input is sincerely appreciated.
    Len Gioglio

Hammock
    Falcon Hammock™
    Tarp
    Hawk Tarp™
    Insulation
    Condor Quilts™
    Suspension
    BTS & Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjayflo View Post
    I was looking at your store page and I am confused. You are advertising a raptor series, but I don't see it anywhere for purchase.
    OK, a Raptor Series Sleep-Shelter is formed by combining a Falcon Hammock with fabric panels or modules that are sold on the website. You can configure it your way. In this example, I offer one useful configuration at a special Hammock Forums Only Exclusive. Please view here. Other Raptor configurations are being offered on Kickstarter Hope that helps...
    Thanks,
    Len

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast