Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    lambskin rugs/pluq
    Suspension
    tree straps

value village 50% off sale help??

so like the title says the value village near me is having 50% off sale

and im looking to make an underquilt as quick, cheep and effortless as possible

... oh and i have about 40$ lol

any help/ tips,tricks would be helpfull

thanks,
    A.Bottoms

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    OK--now that I know what a Value Village is...

Look for a down sleeping bag. Feel the insulation with your hands and you'll learn pretty quickly to recognize down from polyester fill. Find many threads about converting sleeping bags to underquilts.

Look for a down throw. Go to the linen department and, again, shop by feel with your hands. Then find the many threads on the topic of DIY underquilts from throws and get to sewing (first) then cutting, then binding the edges.

Another option would be a throw with synthetic insulation. Same procedure as above, except you can cut first, then sew.

Another option (if you're good at sewing) is to look for down pillows. Underquilts can be sewn and the down harvested from pillows can be stuffed in the baffles.

A final option might be to look for down jackets and coats. There are a couple of recent threads about making underquilts from down jackets (search: Puffer jacket)

If you don't have a sewing machine, you might be able to pick one up there, too.

Have fun! We want a report of the "haul" when you get home! Good luck!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    GTSBPRO
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MarlinSpk
    Had the misfortune of working at a VV for a couple of years. Don't want to knock any of the folks/friends who work there - they're good people. But what most people who donate and shop there don't know is that most of the donations - about 75% (!!) go directly to the dumpster. But I digress.

There is usually a limitation to the 50% off sale. For instance, it's usually only for clothes - not bedding, accessories, housewares, etc. Of course, the rules change and some stores are different, so be prepared to adjust your expectations.

Once in a while I go looking for old down sleeping bags, but haven't found any yet. You may have better luck finding a quilt or jacket.

A lot of the clothes and bedding that are determined to be 'usable, but unsellable' get baled and are sent to the Third World. BUT NOT DOWN QUILTS. Down quilts actually explode when they're put into a baler! I've seen it happen, and it's very messy! So all that great down goes straight to the dumpster.

p.s. In the US, VV is called Savers.
    Last edited by shingaling; 02-23-2013 at 08:41. Reason: p.s.
    Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere. Climb the mountain just a little bit to test that it's a mountain. From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain.

value village 50% off sale help??

I love Savers!

Hammock
    hh safari
    Tarp
    hh hex 1.3
    Insulation
    jacks nest
    Suspension
    woopie slings
    Called Goodwill here. Down items get snatched up very quickly. Good luck.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    lambskin rugs/pluq
    Suspension
    tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    OK--now that I know what a Value Village is...
    lol sorry about that i probably should of just put thrift shop instead of valuevillage

Quote Originally Posted by shingaling View Post
    about 75% (!!) go directly to the dumpster.

There is usually a limitation to the 50% off sale. For instance, it's usually only for clothes - not bedding, accessories, housewares, etc. Of course, the rules change and some stores are different,

really thats it just 75%, i thought it would be more

and your right the offer is Get 50% OFF Clothing, Shoes, Accessories, plus Bed & Bath. Offer excludes new merchandise (red tags), books, jewelry, and items tagged housewares or furniture

thanks every one for your help

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ
    We have Value Village here in Oregon...and a whole mess of other thrift shops!

Not to get off topic, but anyone seen the video for "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore? Have fun popping tags!!!
    Blog: www.renegadepilgrim.com
    Tumblr/Instagram/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Easy and cheap conversions...find a sleeping bag you can pea pod or a throw blanket and you can sew some grossgrain tabs/channels for suspension.

If you plan on harvesting down, read labels for down content. Goose down is better than duck down. A higher down % is better. 75% and above will hopefully be decent quality. If you can feel a lot of feather quills it's lower quality.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    lambskin rugs/pluq
    Suspension
    tree straps
    thanks for your input guys, but by the time i got to the store all the good stuff was gone, or there was never any good stuff to begin with lol

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I'm spending the night in Conyers, GA and I discovered there is a Value Village right across the road from my hotel! I was so excited. I've never been to one. Guess where I'm going tomorrow??
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast