Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The Shenandoah National Park is in my back yard and I love it but Mount Rogers is a place everyone should see at least once in their life. I hit Mount Rogers once a year in the summer there is wild blueberries and raspberries everywhere. Let us know what you decide.

Hammock
    OxGear 11 Ft.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Thanks for the advice guys/gals!

Any idea how Mt. Rogers is early March? If it snows, are the trails still doable (no snow shoes)?

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Prepare for anything in March, It's cold up there.

Ive only done one section of the AT- Springer Mtn to Hogs Pen Gap. It took 3 days and a few hours. There is a wonderful overlook hich someone might know the exact location. Afte climbing straight up for quite some way out of a parking lot you come upon a very large rock. From there are beautiful views; it made me think (because i believe in God) of the beauty of creation. Across the trail from the rock we set up for the night. Early the next morning i approached the rock and the fog was rolling in from it. It was truly mysterious nd quite spiritual to me. I also knew that 20 or so paces into the fog was certain death.

I also remember that you couldnt set up cmp at certain parts of Blood Mtn due to bears.

We traveled approximately 11 miles per day by the way.

John

Hammock
    OxGear 11 Ft.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Coolness, it seems to be that we are trying to decide between Linville Gorge, beginning of At or Mt Rogers.

Hammock
    DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by amwolffman View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys/gals!

Any idea how Mt. Rogers is early March? If it snows, are the trails still doable (no snow shoes)?
    I definitely wouldn't do Mount Rogers in Early March if you don't want to carry the gear to deal with the possibility of heavy snow....
    “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.” ― Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Just my $0.0156 . . .

Having been to all 3 locations, I would suggest the beginning of GA. With a newbie hiking with you, GA will give you plenty of challenge plus you'll get to experience the "pull" of the AT while meeting a few of the Thru Hikers. Its an awesome experience and will have you wishing your duration in the piney woods was months and not days.

This is in no means to discredit the Gorge or Mt Rogers, both being excellent areas to hike in. However, March could make a cold Mt Rogers trip, and the Gorge is the Mecca of the southeast. Its awesome any time of the year. The beginning of the AT though is a special place March - April when the thru hikers start their journeys.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

views

Quote Originally Posted by Jproaster View Post
    Ive only done one section of the AT- Springer Mtn to Hogs Pen Gap. It took 3 days and a few hours. There is a wonderful overlook hich someone might know the exact location. Afte climbing straight up for quite some way out of a parking lot you come upon a very large rock. From there are beautiful views...
    Big Cedar Mt, about a mile nobo from Woody Gap parking. A better campsite and equivalent view is about quarter mile nobo from there on a blue blaze. Much less wind makes it a better hammock site. Get water at Woody Gap.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12