WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

top quilt shell by underquilts.com

Hey guys, I bought a top quilt shell from underquilts.com. When the package came in the mail last week, I was pretty excited about it---I ripped open the box, and carefully inspected the stitching and baffles. I found the quality to be very good---nice close stitching, very precise, very nicely done. (much better than if I had made it!) Then came the down part of the project. I had trouble stuffing the down, but it was a problem on my end, not the quilt itself. Last summer I experimented with putting pockets under a hammock, and using down stuffed pillows for insulation. It worked ok, but I've since decided to go with the traditional UQ as bottom insulation. So, I had some down stuffed pillows just laying around the house for no particular reason ! When I made the pillows, I used wilderness logics as my down source, and it was a piece of cake to stuff them. The anti static plastic pouches of down were very easy to use, especially when fronkys down method was used. (definitely the way to go as far as Im concerned) So, I didnt think it was going to be a big deal to take the down out of the pillows and place it in the top quilt shell. (I was totally wrong about that--it was awful---down every where---next time I do down , it will be with the little plastic pouches from wilderness logics---so much easier!)

The other problem I had was with sewing up the side of the quilt--again my issue, not the top quilts fault! Not having ever done this before, I just started at one end and sewed it all shut---and then noticed that the baffles didnt line up! So, I took out that row of stitching, carefully lined up the baffles, and sewed it again.

Over all, I am very pleased with the end product--its warm, pretty light, looks great, and after taking the senic route and making a few mistakes, it was pretty easy to finish. I'd do it again, with out all the mistakes on my end! When all is said and done, it probably cost me about a hundred dollers less than a comprable top quilt from another cottage industry. ( it made sense for me, especially since I already had the down from another project) The only down side I can see is, if youre into selling your gear every year or so, the resale value on a "name brand" TQ would probably be higher---but I never sell my gear, and have more time than money right now, so it was a good choice for me!

A couple of other neat things about doing it your self--you can customize it a bit, by overstuffing the baffles in the areas where you need it. (my torso gets cold, so I added more down in that area)

I use a ridge runner bridge hammock, and I noticed that with that narrow of a hammock, and the width of my new TQ, the quilt didn't drape as much as it should---it kind of bunched up instead of laying flat. So.........what I did was take the quilt by one edge, shake all the down to the other end, and sewed a line of stitching about 4 inches from the edge. (closing the baffle 4 inches from the edge) Then I did the same thing on the other edge. This puts more down in the center part of the baffle , and gives me a 4 inch cloth flap on the edges (kind of like a "draft stopper" flap on a Ray Jardine quilt) ---This made a huge difference in how the quilt lays in the ridge runner. (might not be the best idea for everyone, but workd out well for me, as a tall thin person who primarily sleeps on his back in a bridge hammock!)

In summery, I really like this topquilt---it works great, and I would do it again!

(forgot to mention, my TQ was a custom job--extra long--84 inches long! I'm 6'4" tall and wanted some extra length---fits me perfectly--I like the way its not pulled tight when I stretch out in it!)

l
    Last edited by stevebo; 02-23-2013 at 07:32.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: top quilt shell by underquilts.com

Awesome... Probably going to get me a set up of his towards the end of summer... Winter is pretty much over in Texas, if it ever showed up... So glad to see good positive reviews...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Down is a tricky beast. I agree that getting it in the Wilderness Logics bags is SO worth it. I'm glad it turned out well for you in the end!
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Pics please! Lost_Biker does some nice work - congrats on the new TQ!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Though I don't think I will ever play with down, I think what you did was a good customization for yourself. Who knows, someone might want to produce a "stevebo" quilt in the future with wings. Great to hear the whole story including the stuffing of your quilt. Enjoy your diy, and give us pics!
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    depends on season
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Glad to see such a great review. Spring is about to hit here as well and I have a UQ and TQ to stuff from Lost Biker. His work is top notch.

I'm with Dragon360. I'd love to see some pics!

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Thanks for the review, stevebo! Sorry, everyone for getting back late - the flu hit me and I was worthless for a full week. The new site is up and working (finally).
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

• + New Posts