Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Wool, Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Thanks for all the help guys. This, however:

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Duh...Now I get it. I was thinking male and female ends on the rubber tips and couldn't figure out what style you were using.

I would be surprised if the inserts slipped. I would try it out before I went to the trouble of drilling.
    is what I was thinking as well. I have slept in it a couple nights, and noticed no ill effects. BUT, that said, the guys would never let me live it down if it failed around me and ended up in a pile on top of me on a hard floor.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB & Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie DIY
    Images
    Eyebolt Stainless.jpg
    Fully Threaded 304 Stainless Steel Rod End, 5/16"-18 Thread Size, 5/16" Hole ID, 6" Length from McMaster.com seems to work well... the hole in the eyebolt is exactly the right size and it's stainless... Part Number 2434K38. It's a little pricey at $10.00 each for Stainless eyebolts but between that and the stainless 4" bolts, I expect years of use.

Thanks
    SG

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    You guys are making me feel better and better about the simplicity, durability, low cost and quick build time of my original lashed stand.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB & Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie DIY
    Images
    You guys are making me feel better and better about the simplicity, durability, low cost and quick build time of my original lashed stand.
    This is what happens when you give a stick and string to a bunch of engineers... Overengineering........
    I look for portability and usefulness over and over for many years.. not just a few novelty hangs and continuously replacing materials... It also gives me something to do besides watch TV when I cannot go camping. Besides, Im nearly 300 pounds and don't trust much of the sticks and string method. LOLLOL

The fiberglass poles have been used by a few members. As best as I remember, they worked OK for the tripods but not so much for the ridgepole. The last member that used them, perchancetodream , went overkill on reinforcements and put a tremendous amount of effort into it..
    It kept me busy for awhile
    After some use, I have complete confidence in the fiberglass for ridgepole, but indeed only with the wood dowel reinforcement. I like that the stand and ridgepole are less likely to attract lightning. Maybe.
    Last edited by perchancetodream; 05-17-2014 at 11:47.

I forgot to mention, I have had a ridgepole of the aluminum poles on my permanent deck hammock stand exposed to Indiana weather 24/7 for at least the last 1 1/2 years with no corrosion. I would have a greater concern for possible UV degradation to the resin used in the fiberglass poles if left out full time for years.
    Paint. Yet another step in the fiberglass pole project! Yay! :oD
    Last edited by perchancetodream; 05-17-2014 at 11:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbs View Post
    I coated a cracked machete handle with it about 15 years ago and it has held up very well. Have not used it for feet but if you have the PVC cap on there to give some area to the floor contact points, it should work well.
    I thought it best to fill the ends with wood dowel then miter them to maximize contact with the floor. Dipped with Plasti-dip several coats. It's holding up so far.

Indeed! The 2x2 / gate hinge Turtledog would also have been a lot less trouble.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I was telling my wife this morning how frustrated I was with family members not thinking things through, then asking me to fix their half hazard decisions. She reminded me that I over think basically everything, and sometimes accomplishing nothing in the process.

Sometimes easier is better, no doubt about it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    BTW, maybe this has been done already but I haven't found it yet. I see various solutions for resolving the issue of torque on the holes drilled in the Al poles. That's a big issue when you build kit airplanes because it weakens the pole.

The way it's resolved when you build kits is to cut a small diameter Aluminum tube and insert it into the drilled hole. That allows you to torque the nut down so all of the compression from the nut is on the small Al tube, so it doesn't affect the structural integrity of the pole.

HTH
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

• + New Posts
  • Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast