DIY Hennessy, WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp,
    Insulation
    Pad/Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies

DIY HH, Multiple Layers

I have gone through the thread for the DIY – Hennessy Hammock (and some others)and see multiple references to making this a double layer, even a triple layer for a "hanger of size". How exactly does it come together?
    • Do I just hem two separate layers and whip them at the ends?
    • Do I sew the 2 layers together on 3 sides, leaving the entry side open to slide the pad between? (This is the way I see it in my head, but will the layer still slide independent of each other and not bunch and bind?)
    • If I use the tunnel method on the ends, do I sew both layers together for just the 8" on each end?
    • How about tie outs both layers, or just the outside layer?
    • Speaking of tie outs... If I add the triangles to decrease the turn of the zipper, do I add the triangles to both layers, or just the outside?

Like most adults, I am a very visual and tactile learner. I have always been challenged by story problems. So after reading some of the explanations, it just confuses and frustrates me more and more.
    For example when I start thinking about integrating a bug net, in the HH-Sticky I ran across this from DownUnderHang
    I've based it on H4U's original diagram and added some more dimensions. A, B and C are as per the original diagram. As you can see the pattern has been rotated on the material to be cut. NB: This does mean that the ridge line does not follow the weave of the material but this wasn't a big deal for me.
    The key measurements we are after is G - the width to be cut, H - the off-cut length, and, if you don't want to use the ridgeline measurement on the angle, the length of the material (not given a letter in my diagram). To get these measurements, we first need to calculate some other measurements - D, E and F as follows:

D = Square root of (C squared - B squared)
    E = A - D
    F = Square root of (E squared + B squared)

Now we can get G = B/F*A
    And H = Square root of (C squared - G squared)
    The length of the material to be cut from is F+H
    So to cut the material measure off a length of F+H, cut it to a width of G. Then measure down H from the top right corner and cut from there to the top left corner in a straight line. Then measure up H from the bottom left corner and cut from there to the bottom right corner in a straight line.

I hope that helps - it worked for me.
    Seriously?!?!?! DownUnderHang you have a brilliant mind, but we are on 2 different pages? I’m still at the begining where the Pop-Up pictures are. There has got to be an easier way...
    Other examples use a piece of plastic or Tyvek to lay over the ridgeline. The edges are pinned together to get the shape. Cut out, add zippers, and voila! Is this the simplistic approach I am looking for? Anyone else have suggestions that worked for them? Perhaps I am just making this more complicated than it needs to be.

I have combed thought the 43 pages in the DIY-HH sticky and a few others. All the comments, ideas, and discussions that has spanned over the last 5+ years are wonderful. I have learned a lot. It has been interesting to read all of the personal touches people have integrated into their designs. This is what draw me to DIY in the first place. So please don’t take my frustration and inability to visualize these concepts here as derogatory. Just trying to find a little humor as I continue to try and fill the gaps…

Thanks for any direction you can provide...

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    You could follow DIYgearsupply's version to help get you on the right track, I am a visual person too.

hope it helps.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    At least for the methodology, the dimensions would be different, but it should start the engine.

Hammock
    DIY Hennessy, WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp,
    Insulation
    Pad/Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Start your engines..

Engines are reved up, just spining my tires.

Agfadoc, Yes this does help, I missed this diagram along the way.

R/T to steps 2 and 3. Does it make sense to put a 1/2 rolled hem in each first, then roll hem them together for the green sections?

If I still plan on using the triangle extensions to decrease the angle of the zipper, the tie outs could go in the blue sections and only the triangle extensions and pull out will only invlove the outer layer?

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Well honestly I'm still sitting in park with the heater on idling.... paralyses of analysis, but I eventually take it out of park and the plan never seems to go...well, as planned. We are in the same parking lot though.

I planned on hemming everything a 1\2 inch and then combine with a double hem without a roll with the two at the green, otherwise there would be a difference in material dimension? Then it leaves you space to put in the knotty mods in the green areas.

I would think the triangle would follow the tie outs, which in this case would be where the green and blue intersect. That's how my HH is. I am guessing here, but wouldn't you want the screen attached primarily to the first layer, so you could add a pad as the design permits?
    Last edited by Agfadoc; 02-24-2013 at 10:19.

Hammock
    DIY Hennessy, WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp,
    Insulation
    Pad/Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Were on the same page when sewing the two layers together. I am thinking that the tie outs will fall where the green and blue intersect. My plan is to make both a bug net and a solid pane of fabric that can be interchanged. Because the triagle insert intergrates the pull out I will sew the zipper to the outer most layer. I will unzip to slide my pad in throught the bug net. Are you saying it should be accessable from the outside?

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    If you wanted to adjust whatever insulation you put under there (if you chose to go that route ) once it is setup, then I would imagine that it would be good to have access. Or if you chose to put additional layers like your fleece, jacket, etc. for more warmth.

Hammock
    DIY Hennessy, WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp,
    Insulation
    Pad/Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Lots to think about...Do most double layer hammocks have access to the layer to slide your pad from inside or outside the hammock?
    Anyone have pointers on the measuring/fitting the bug netting somewhere between pinning it free hand and formulas for cold fusion?

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Typically the zipper is attached to the outer layer and you are able to access the pad pocket from inside of the hammock.

Check out PapaSmurf's Tablecloth hammock tutorial for what is possibly the best way to deal with bugnetting.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Awesome, thanks for guidance. I never even considered being able to access from the inside.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast