Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Working Down

You can make an outlet filter using a toilet paper roll or one from a paper towel roll. Add noseeum mesh to the end and secure it to the quilt baffle at the opposite end from where you are working. This will let the air escape but keep in the downy goodness.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Winter
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/Pad
    Suspension
    Straps n Whoopies
    Great ideas on both the outlet tube and the type of hose used...I was indeed using a length of shop vac tubing in my set-up. I imagine both had something to do with it not working for me.

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    You can make an outlet filter using a toilet paper roll or one from a paper towel roll. Add noseeum mesh to the end and secure it to the quilt baffle at the opposite end from where you are working. This will let the air escape but keep in the downy goodness.
    Mrprez, that is an outstanding idea. It can be placed in the end baffle and seal off the others as you work towards it and the same for the filled ones as you progress. With the last one having to be filled by a few short blast at a time letting the quilt deflate between shots. I’ll have to try that on my upcoming TQ project, thanks for the idea. This is what I love about this forum, there is always someone thinking on the same plan but at a slightly different angle and willing to share that thought.
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

Hammock
    DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hey Drifter. Thank you for this great idea. I built a device based on your idea, though I turbocharged it for down extraction by using a shop vac. I had 31 ounces of down to pull from an old sleeping bag I bought on eBay!

I filled two down underquilts and then upgraded two Walmart Ozark down bags (converted to top quilts). This made the job much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by drifter View Post
    Mrprez, that is an outstanding idea. It can be placed in the end baffle and seal off the others as you work towards it and the same for the filled ones as you progress. With the last one having to be filled by a few short blast at a time letting the quilt deflate between shots. I’ll have to try that on my upcoming TQ project, thanks for the idea. This is what I love about this forum, there is always someone thinking on the same plan but at a slightly different angle and willing to share that thought.
    Glad to throw in some brain cells to the discussion! I have my materials for a down quilt and will be starting it tomorrow. I still need a Down Extractor/Inserter Unit. Wouldn't you know it, I recycle an old shop vac a few weeks ago. I don't think it had the capability to blow though. I'll have to check some of the thrift stores for a suitable device. Walmart here has put the majority of the pool supplies away and no pumps to be had.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I initially had issues getting this to work, wrong parts. I picked up my blower from Target for about $20, they had several different ones in the camping area with the air mattresses. Filled two UQ and used them this weekend. It was a nice upgrade from the PLUQ for cold weather, was in the upper 20's at night.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123