Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images

Arrow DIY Hammock Cost

So the other day I made a hammock for my buddy who is trying to get into hammocking. He was tight on money so I recommended for him to go the DIY route to save some money. Figured this might help others that are considering DIYing their own hammock system.

Here is what he ended up spending after all was said and done for a simple 115" x 56" hammock with whipped ends and complete suspension.

1. 70D DWR Treated Calendared Ripstop Nylon - 4 Yards
    $10 I sold him the fabric and hemmed it for him. Expect to pay a bit more normally. tableclothsfactory.com has some good deals.
    2. Paracord for wipping - Few feet is all you need but you will end up buying 100'
    $7.99 +Shipping. Amazon.com
    3. 3/16" AmSteel - 20'
    $11.50 brick and mortar store. West Marine
    4. 1" Polyester Webbing - 30' (10 Yards)
    $8 +Shipping. Amazon.com
    5. Descender Rings used as Cinch Rings - 4
    $12.40 +shipping. Rei.com
    6. Climbing Carabiners - 2 -Optional
    $16 +Shipping. Amazon.com

He ended up spending around $65.89. He didnt have to spend on shipping for anything except the descender rings because I have a amazon prime account.
    Now I know you can put together a hammock alittle cheaper using some other options for the suspension systems but he wanted to go with the listed setup because he liked it on mine.
    As for the tarp, he plans to use a $15 blue tarp from home depot for now. I told him it wasnt cost effect to diy a silnylon tarp. He will buy one later on.

But at least you can see how things can add up quick even though you started with a $10 hammock and ended up spending $55 more to add the suspension and whipping.

Hammock and suspension - $65.89
    Tarp - $15
    Guy-Lines(Utility Line, Walmart) - $6

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    It just goes to show how cheap cottage gear really is. Great write up and and awesome thing you did to get your friend hanging.

See this thread I just completed for a cost effective tarp. It'll be better than the poly tarps weight and durability wise...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=68712
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; Toggles
    I am in the process of making my first DIY. At least I will be once I pass my Microsoft certification exam this week.

I am making an 11 foot gathered end hammock with the "Knotty Mod."

$12.80 4 Yards 1.1 oz Rip-stop
    $7.50 Amsteel 30 feet - Whoopies and channel loops
    $3.75 Gutermann Tera Thread
    $2.16 Tech Line Ridgeline
    $1.30 Toggles
    $10.50 Tree straps
    $5.80 Shock Cord 20 feet
    $1.15 Cord Locks
    $10.75 Shipping

$55.71 Total (so far)

It does add up quickly but so far it is right around half the cost of ordering a ready made one. If I didn't want the challenge and experience of making my own hammock, I am not sure it would be worth the time for some people but I enjoy this type of thing.

If I am successful with this, my next project will be a few table cloth hammocks for my young boys.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I think we could have shaved off some money by dropping the carabiners and making soft shackles with the leftover amsteel. Also the paracord could have been dropped in exchange for some other type of cordage like utility line which is much cheaper. The total price would be around $45, not including tarp.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Interesting numbers, thanks for sharing! I always like seeing others' breakdown.

One thing that can really drop the cost is buying in bulk. I'm working on a project to get hammocks to a few scout groups I work with and the following is the break-down. The one caveat is that in order to get the costs so low, I had to get around 150 yards of fabric. The rest were purchased in somewhat smaller chunks and would be more manageable. Each of these is total cost, with shipping, tax, etc.

Hammock Items for 1.6 oz ACU SL hammock with suspension and double-ended stuff sack.
    Fabric (12 feet of 1.6 ACU ripstop) for a 10 or 11 foot hammock and double-ended stuff sack: $5.04
    Amsteel (25 feet - enough for 2 six foot whoopie slings): $4.85
    Straps (13 feet - for 2 six foot tree straps with loops at each end): $1.60
    Zing-it (for the ridgeline) $1.10
    Small Diameter Cord and Locks (for the stuff sack): $0.45
    Grommet (x2 for use on the stuff sack): $.30
    Thread (Gutterman Mara): $0.25
    Bead for Whoopies (placed in the adjustable loop so it doesn't unthread): $0.05
    Needle (replacing needle occasionally during sewing): $0.33
    Toggle (cut up aluminum arrow): $.92

Total: $14.71 for a pretty professional-level setup (although it is lacking a bug net). The only thing I'm recommending the boys consider is using climbing grade biners to connect the whoopies to the tree straps, instead of the toggles, as it's a bit easier to deal with in many cases. As that doubles the cost of the setup, though, I'm leaving that up to the scouts.

When I post the summary from my project, I'll include links to all my suppliers.
    Last edited by breyman; 02-25-2013 at 00:33.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A DiYsilnylon tarp is not that expensive. 8 yards of fabric. 1 Yard of heavier duty like cordura and some guy lines. Not much to it really. Add a few inchs of Grosgrain for the ridgeline ends and you are pretty much done.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker42 View Post
    A DiYsilnylon tarp is not that expensive. 8 yards of fabric. 1 Yard of heavier duty like cordura and some guy lines. Not much to it really. Add a few inchs of Grosgrain for the ridgeline ends and you are pretty much done.
    Yeah, I wanted to DIY one but after totaling up the cost of the silnylon fabric, grosgrain, thread, and the guy point accessories and guy lines and then tack on the all the shipping. It ended up being fairly close to buying one from a vendor.
    Average cost of 30D silnylon is $9 * 8 yards = $72 already +shipping. You can try and find some cheaper 2nds and save a few bucks but now your stuck with a color that you may not like and possible defections. GrosGrain and thread will run you another $16 and now your pushing $95 and you still got to get some webbing and guy lines.

Typical silnylon tarps are just over the $100 mark so for me id rather just buy one. Besides I'm sure the vendor's quality trumps my sewing skills. lol

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: DIY Hammock Cost

What about the table cloth hammock route...

$15 for hammock plus $6 for shipping...
    20' of amsteel for UCR comes out to $5
    $10 for Walmart ratchet straps...

Total of $31 or so... Catch a sale and make it an even $30...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    So the other day I made a hammock for my buddy who is trying to get into hammocking. He was tight on money so I recommended for him to go the DIY route to save some money. Figured this might help others that are considering DIYing their own hammock system.

Here is what he ended up spending after all was said and done for a simple 115" x 56" hammock with whipped ends and complete suspension.

1. 70D DWR Treated Calendared Ripstop Nylon - 4 Yards
    $10 I sold him the fabric and hemmed it for him. Expect to pay a bit more normally. tableclothsfactory.com has some good deals.

2. Paracord for wipping - Few feet is all you need but you will end up buying 100'
    $7.99 +Shipping. Amazon.com

Why? - buy a few feet more amsteel @ a quarter/ft

3. 3/16" AmSteel - 20'
    $11.50 brick and mortar store. West Marine

way overkill on the amsteel and high cost because of it.

4. 1" Polyester Webbing - 30' (10 Yards)
    $8 +Shipping. Amazon.com

Harbor Freight or any farm supply - 12 ft cargo straps. $4-6/pair unless on sale.

5. Descender Rings used as Cinch Rings - 4
    $12.40 +shipping. Rei.com

6. Climbing Carabiners - 2 -Optional
    $16 +Shipping. Amazon.com

You got ripped or the wrong stuff @ $8 ea

He ended up spending around $65.89. He didnt have to spend on shipping for anything except the descender rings because I have a amazon prime account.
    Now I know you can put together a hammock alittle cheaper using some other options for the suspension systems but he wanted to go with the listed setup because he liked it on mine.
    As for the tarp, he plans to use a $15 blue tarp from home depot for now. I told him it wasnt cost effect to diy a silnylon tarp. He will buy one later on.

But at least you can see how things can add up quick even though you started with a $10 hammock and ended up spending $55 more to add the suspension and whipping.

Hammock and suspension - $65.89
    Tarp - $15
    Guy-Lines(Utility Line, Walmart) - $6
    You made some expensive choices that significantly ran up your costs. If you want minimum cost 4 yds of fabric, 4-6 ft amsteel, 2 - 12 ft cargo straps, 4 descender rings and you have a hammock. Alternate is i cargo strap cut in half and 20 ft of amsteel for whoopee's. You can use the same utility cord for hanging a tarp and as a ridge line for the hammock if you are reasonably careful. Polyester is better than nylon and there is a lot around.

Unless weight is an issue your friend should look at urethane coated nylon tarps. They are less expensive and more durable than Silnylon if he can handle the weight.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    You made some expensive choices that significantly ran up your costs. If you want minimum cost 4 yds of fabric, 4-6 ft amsteel, 2 - 12 ft cargo straps, 4 descender rings and you have a hammock. Alternate is i cargo strap cut in half and 20 ft of amsteel for whoopee's. You can use the same utility cord for hanging a tarp and as a ridge line for the hammock if you are reasonably careful. Polyester is better than nylon and there is a lot around.
    This post wasn't really intended to show minimum cost to make a hammock per/say; it was just showing what it cost him to DIY his own on the choices he made.
    As for costs. Like I said. There are cheaper options, those were just the ones he chose.
    Why? - buy a few feet more amsteel @ a quarter/ft
    Dont think I would personally whip a hammock with Amsteel. Its just too slick.
    way overkill on the amsteel and high cost because of it.
    Yes the thicker Amsteel was about $4 more but its what was in stock at the time.
    Harbor Freight or any farm supply - 12 ft cargo straps. $4-6/pair unless on sale.
    As for the harbor freight. Those cheap ones, im pretty sure but could be wrong, are generally Nylon straps not poly. The heavier yellow ones are polyester and end up costing more than what he spent at amazon which was $8. Think he made a good choice.
    You got ripped or the wrong stuff @ $8 ea
    Yeah, I think he over spent $2 on the carabiners. They are $6 a piece everywhere else. But free shipping made up for it, so no loss on cost. Also he only paid 7.25 a piece rather than $8. I had posted the wrong price. Black Diamond Neutrino Carabiner
    Unless weight is an issue your friend should look at urethane coated nylon tarps. They are less expensive and more durable than Silnylon if he can handle the weight.
    He may end up going that route. Just depends on his funds.
    If we are trying to go uber cheap, one can grab a sheet or table cloth and whip the ends with some cheap rope and string it up. There is always ways to go cheaper. But we have to be honest here. Most of us have decent quality materials for our hammock systems. Even those who are tight on money. But I agree there was a few places that money could have been saved without sacrificing quality. Unfortunately, time and convenience trumped cost savings alittle. But the nice thing is he has leftover paracord, utility line, and 3' of amsteel for few other parts of his kit. The biggest win was his excited face as he was building his hammock system. Hard to put a price tag on that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast