Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    RBTR Cinch buckle
    Images

How wide should I make my underquilt?

I just got the APEX Underquilt Kit from Ripstop by the Roll, and I'm pondering how wide I should make it.

My hammock is 60-ish" wide. The kit materials are all 60" wide. The sketch on the RbtR website suggests 45" wide, but that just seems kinda narrow.
    I'm a big guy and I like a diagonal lay. If the quilt is too narrow it seems like I'd be hanging past the sides of it.

Is there any reason I shouldn't make the quilt as wide as the materials allow, after proper seam allowance and insulation lofting is accounted for?

Worst case, I figure it's always easier to cut it narrower than it is to cut it wider later.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could check Vendors and see their widths for a starting place. 45" is fairly average.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    11.5' RBTR 1.0 HyperD Brown
    Tarp
    11' RBTR SilplyHex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/MultiBckle
    Your underquilt will lay on the diagonal with you to a degree which helps offset that. I cannot see a reason to go much over 45. Mine is 42. I'm a skinny guy and it is plenty. At a certain point your top quilt takes over insulating you and there is not much to be gained by overlap between the 2.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If weight is not an issue, I really like wider underquilts (I think my widest is ~55", which is overkill, though). It's easier to adjust them even if you go extremely diagonal, and the suspension doesn't put that much pressure on head and feet. When I get around to sewing my first Climashield underquilt, I'm going to try to make it wider than my HG Incubator, but a bit shorter. I might also sew the Climashield into the UQ shell at an angle to save weight but still get more width. Since I haven't tested it, I can't vouch for this approach, though.

If you're unsure, you could trim the Climashield a bit, and only loosely hand-stitch it to some makeshift UQ outer shell and see if it fits you. If it's too wide, cut off a bit more until you're happy. Then go ahead and sew a proper shell.

Insulation
    Diy oq, uq, apex
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I have a diy climashield and a jarbridge they are the same size and I find that as a bigger guy that they are a lil to narrow .the length seems to work for me I'm 6ft and they go pretty much from my shoulders to my ankles. So with just a pillow they work well I don't even use a foot pad (I don't camp in winter) they fit my girl no problem in width but I'd say they need to be about 5 inches wider for me to give me that wiggle room. They work fine but if I was gonna make or buy another for myself i would add 5 inches to the width.

Hammock
    GT Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    DIY RBTR Winter 12
    Insulation
    DIY APEX/HyperD
    Suspension
    1in webbing straps
    I also started with the RBTR Full Length UQ kit as the basis for mine. I have a GT SBP that is 60" wide. I decided to make my UQ 50" wide. I didn't trim the width of the APEX CS, I let it fold inside the shell and fill out the perimeter. The thread with link to my build instructions is here:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...shield-APEX-UQ

I've only had a chance to take a nap with it on a chilly (32°F), windy day. It seemed to offer good coverage and warmth.

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    Mine, at 44" wide, does cover my 5'8" 160 pound frame but I wish it was just 2 to 3 inches wider on each side.

Hammock
    Equip from Wal Mart
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    RBTR Cinch buckle
    Images
    Thank you everyone for your input.
    It sounds like wider than stock is a good idea, but I don't need to go the full fabric width.

I have one more question:
    I looked at the build thread that Uncaged pointed out. It looks like the inner and outer fabric was cut to the same size. I was under the impression that it was necessary to cut the outer fabric bigger so it had extra room to wrap around the edges and allow the insulation to fully loft. I've seen that on some down quilt designs, anyway. Is that only for down, or should that apply for the Apex too?

Hammock
    GT Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    DIY RBTR Winter 12
    Insulation
    DIY APEX/HyperD
    Suspension
    1in webbing straps
    I followed the RBTR instructions as far as relative sizes of the shell pieces. The outer shell is cut 2" bigger than the inner shell (an extra 1" on all sides). Due to lack of experience, I didn't make darts. I simply made up the difference as I pinned it all the way around. I lined up the edges of the shells and gathered bits as I pinned. I think it turned out ok and it's not noticeable where it is gathered.
    The extra material means the edges aren't pulled snug as it wraps around the hammock.
    I also have about 6" overhang on the APEX from the stitching. It puffs out the perimeter where it would be pinched from the stitching. The excess is folded toward the outer shell side. You can see it in the pictures if you know it's there (on the olive side).

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    i use a full-length pluq, and though it does try to keep the diagonal i find that the whatever ~40" does pretty well. I'd still wanna add 6" if i were ordering custom gears, just cuz....what, ima have too much insulation?
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast