Thread: Long Island?

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

Long Island?

I am taking a family trip up to NY on April. I thought I would pack my hammocks and such and maybe take a trip out east. I would love to camp on one of the forks, but I am not sure how hammock friendly any of that area is.

I ultimately would like to be able to camp near the beach, but will need trees and of course a legal place to be. I could go to ground... but don't want to.

Anyone got options?

Images
    Raul perez aka water monkey lives out there and would be the person I would ask.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gbs View Post
    raul perez aka water monkey lives out there and would be the person i would ask.
    ya i figured i would try the general group first. I will send him a message. Thanks

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    It will be interesting to see what you find. The last time I was out there was 25 years ago and it was getting built up quite a ways out...

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    It will be interesting to see what you find. The last time I was out there was 25 years ago and it was getting built up quite a ways out...
    I grew up on the north shore (Mt. Sinai), but back then I wouldn't have know about hammocking. I have been to many places out east; montauk, orient point, hamptons, riverhead, jamesport, baiting hollow.

I looked up the NY state park system and found a way to select camp ground nearest montauk and such. Found that Hither hills state park allows camping. I think I just need to check on hammocks. and maybe there are better ones.

Hammock
    Clark NX150
    Tarp
    OES 12x15, SF
    Insulation
    MW4, NO Snivler
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Hither hills is on the south fork in Montauk. You will need to make your resivations asap for there. It is a ruff place to get into. You will also need a stand. There are no suitable trees. On the north fork there is a place called the kamp grounds. I think its in Orient point. There are a bunch of Suffolk county parks on the water but they are not hammock friendly. Yyou cant hang any thing from trees. More later need to go back to work.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KayakCarl View Post
    Hither hills is on the south fork in Montauk. You will need to make your resivations asap for there. It is a ruff place to get into. You will also need a stand. There are no suitable trees. On the north fork there is a place called the kamp grounds. I think its in Orient point. There are a bunch of Suffolk county parks on the water but they are not hammock friendly. Yyou cant hang any thing from trees. More later need to go back to work.
    the no hang? is that because there are no trees or is it because you are not allowed?

• + New Posts