HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BossLady View Post
    Ya'll are WONDERFUL!

So now I'm looking at War Bonnet's, and after chatting with the dadster, he want's to help! lol basically, I'm his guinea pig. Squeek.

I started looking more at the WB and For Sale Boards to see what around... Please forgive a cross post, but this is what I've come up with:

So after being thoroughly convinced to keep my newbie behind emphatically AWAY from ENO, I'm starting to look at the WB double layer Traveller with the Mamajamba tarp -I like 'em big (and shady). When it rains it's like a vertical river- and the No-see-um travel net for our state birds. With this the Lynx full length under quilt. I like that I can adjust it shorter, or string it full length and hunker down.

I think I'm a bit mismatched, but hey, it's Texas, so is the weather. Well, East Texas. "Winter" can see the low 30's and high 20's (in a blue moon), but averages about 45 for most of the Winter "season" when it actually does get cold. Also I'm 5'10" and 260 lbs. The Traveller is 7' and as I'm near 6', it just seems cramped. Am I off base there?

I want to rig an under-hammock to string under my sleeper for my gear to keep things more readily accessable, and the bug net looks droopy enough to encompass that as well, thoughts?

Plus I have a 35 lb heater named Sydney who will be in the hammock with me.
    Butt In A Sling has a neat little piece of kit called a gear sling, but it hangs from the ridgeline rather than beneath the hammock. I'm using mine right now to hold the winter sleeping gear: down jacket and stockings and a merino wool buff. It will also hold my Enlightened Equipment Prodigy top quilt. Most folks usually use a piece of Tyvek or nylon under the hammock as a "welcome mat" to put shoes and gear on. Scout The Wonder Dog will sleep on that when he feels like sleeping under the tarp. Dogs in the hammock are done all the time, but its recommended you keep thier paws clipped to make sure there's no accidental ripping of the fabric.

I know what you mean about the vertical river. This was taken in Section 1 of the LSHT in August:

The tarp is a Hennesy Hex with doors. I had it pitched a bit too open and a bit of rain blew in. I re-pitiched and everything is OK. Mine has doors on the ends which would have prevented it totally, but I foolishly left them at home tosave weight. Hennessy doesn't advertise the doors for the hex on thier website, but the guy I bought mine from says they will put them on if you request when ordering, or you can DIY a set.

I'm 5'-11 and 215 lbs and have no problem in a Hennesy Expedition or the Deep Jungle (which is a BIG hammock, and a double layer, which is good for skeeters). You cna likely get away with a Poncho Liner underquilt most of the year down here, but you'll eventually want to get one. When it gets real cold, I use an Arrowhead Equipment Potomac, which is specially made to fit Hennesies. When it looks like iots going to get above 40, or if I'm using my Butt In a Sling Wieght Weenie I'm using a pair of DIY Underquilts.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Thanks, Gunner, good stuff there. I'm 5'10", and 260 lbs. Kind of another reason I was looking at ENO. WB and HH don't seem to have much at my weight (and I don't like the BB) and most hammocks I see top out at 7'. I'm almost 6' and 6" on either end seems a bit... cramped.

Or am I reading things wrong?
    The warbonnet traveler dbl in 1.1 is rated 275lbs,,,the dbl 1.7 is rated 400lbs. Not sure where your getting the 7' from. Hang in there for a while till you get some of this straightened out.
    Not to complicate things but you might want to look at the Winderness logic Lite Owl and Night Owl as well. I have the Traveler ,,BB and Lite Owl,,all good hammocks for what each does.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I really agree with Old Gringo's advice...try things out at local hangs.

I ran in to the same thing as you - why is X more than Y. Sometimes it was obvious (features, weight), but sometimes it was not.

Regardless, here is sound advice and something that I am not sure was mentioned.

Whatever you do decide on and then end up not liking it you can always sell it and make back close to what you paid for it...then try something else.

I too, was practically emaciated by the amount of hours and hours I spent reading information, which only screwed me up more. Its like they say, the more you know the less you know. Absolutely true! I sprung for my first hammock because it was a complete set, and was a bit disappointed with it for various reasons. Well after having my first couple nights in a hammock I realized what I did not like about that particular hammock. I sold it for close to what I paid for it and sprung for my second hammock (which after more research seemed to have solved the issues I was having with my first one)...I will never look back.

One thing, not sure how bad bugs are in Texas, but I am sure they can get just as bad, your definitely going to want that bug net!

Going back to my intro, you could save yourself all that trouble utilizing Oldgringo's advice, but you could also go the buy and sell route...I wish the best for you! And stay sane!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ...And I think I'm going to look more into DIY, too.
    You have a sewing machine, you have instructions (make it 6" longer), you have 100% polyester thread (get the Mara 70), need fabric?

Are you done yet?

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* UQ, 20* TQ
    Suspension
    WS + Whoopie Hooks
    How's that Traveller? Is it much differs t than the BB everyone raves about?
    The Traveler offers none of the frills of the Blackbird. It's basically a quality, local, forum-member-made ENO. I bought it instead of the ENO for all of those reasons. Also, notice that the WB hammocks include suspension and ENO's don't. I like my Traveler just fine and it's a pretty good lay. I do get a little calf pressure sometimes, just like I did with my BB. I'm only 5'6" 150 pounds but I still went with an 11' hammock instead for a flatter lay. The main one's that I'd look at in this type of hammock would be Wilderness Logics, Dream Hammocks, and Butt in a Sling. You're taller, so longer *might* be something you'd prefer. You're considering backpacking so LIGHT WEIGHT will be something you will come to value, methinks. *cough* BIAS WWM *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Night and day. The 'bird has an attached bug net, which is good. And bad. sometimes ya want it, sometimes, ya don't.

The Traveller is a simple, gathered end hammock, that can be ordered with a second layer. It comes with a complete suspension, ready to use. It has no shelf, no footbox. It is a very good value for the money. You won't need a net for a couple of months, giving you plenty of time to make one (it takes about an hour.) Finally, Warbonnet will sell you a tarp at the same time...it will come in the same box. Voila! A system.
    What he said. A "system" can be pretty simple. A little poking around the websites of the cottage industries listed on this site and you'll find that out. Put some stuff in your cart and see what it would cost. You might be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Some of these vendors may not be the cheapest but their product is top notch and if you ever have an issue they will take care of you. Plus its Made in the good'ol USA.
    USA! USA! USA!

Ya'll are WONDERFUL!

So now I'm looking at War Bonnet's, and after chatting with the dadster, he want's to help! lol basically, I'm his guinea pig. Squeek.

I started looking more at the WB and For Sale Boards to see what around... Please forgive a cross post, but this is what I've come up with:

So after being thoroughly convinced to keep my newbie behind emphatically AWAY from ENO, I'm starting to look at the WB double layer Traveller with the Mamajamba tarp -I like 'em big (and shady). When it rains it's like a vertical river- and the No-see-um travel net for our state birds. With this the Lynx full length under quilt. I like that I can adjust it shorter, or string it full length and hunker down.

I think I'm a bit mismatched, but hey, it's Texas, so is the weather. Well, East Texas. "Winter" can see the low 30's and high 20's (in a blue moon), but averages about 45 for most of the Winter "season" when it actually does get cold. Also I'm 5'10" and 260 lbs. The Traveller is 7' and as I'm near 6', it just seems cramped. Am I off base there?

I want to rig an under-hammock to string under my sleeper for my gear to keep things more readily accessable, and the bug net looks droopy enough to encompass that as well, thoughts?

Plus I have a 35 lb heater named Sydney who will be in the hammock with me.
    The Warbonnet Superfly is also an awesome tarp. Tie the doors up when you don't need them. My camo one will stay with me forever. I love it. It pitches like a dream and looks like awesome sauce got spilled all over a tarp.

The WB bug net will fit the Traveler perfectly and you'll be able to adjust your UQ without opening your bug net. I had the Travel Sock for one hang (the fabric was not the ideal choice for sub-zero hangs so Brandon let me return it) and it was very roomy and well made. Keep in mind that if you go with the WB bug net, it will not fit an 11' hammock without modification. 2QZQ makes a mod though, I think.

Seriously, group hangs are pretty cool. I actually stumbled upon one when I was out camping with my ground-dwelling buddy at Afton State Park late last year. Everyone was really nice and they even let my buddy sit by the fire, no beatings or anything! This is a good group of people who tend to be awesome by nature and pleasant as a rule. That's why I'm a donating member and why I'll be going to a group hang ASAP.

Keep your chin up! You're doing great!
    Last edited by Rabid Deer; 02-26-2013 at 13:00. Reason: Me grammar is not a grand slammer

Hammock
    ENO Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    Pro Fly
    Insulation
    DIY Pod
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Woo! We're (well, me) really rolling now! Much delayed reply here, my work hours are crazy.

* gmcttr, thanks for the links! They're gonna make me broke ^.^
    *Not sure where I got 7' either, lol. I've been reading so much and read 7' as length I think O.o
    *I WILL for sure attend a hang, but work sched has to comply >.<
    *I'm thinking more like the ENO Underbell Gear Sling kinda thing. I'd rather stick it all under my hammock for access and don't want to crowd my guy line with half my pack, or get out of my net to get that book or something I forgot.
    *The WBBB looks freaking awesome, and it would honestly probably be my first choice, but that attached bug net would HAVE to come off. No if's, and's, or slung butt's. I would loose my shat and just get plished.
    *Dream Hammock looks ok, but again, too many attached bug nets :P
    *I may (probably) make my own bug net that's a bit more dog friendly. I have something in my head where I'd like to attach the net to the edge of my tarp (removable?) and hang to the ground, maybe attach that to a ripstop floor kinda bit? Then she could get down if she wants. I wouldn't mind a few extra ounces for the sake my my girl. I dunno, my brain says it would work, but it thinks pretty highly of itself and has an overconfidence addiction.

Brief reply's there, but I just got off 13 hours and have to be up in time to cuss at the sun for sleeping in. The lazy wank.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    No integrated bugnet? Blasphemy! I'm not a fan of integrated bugnets either. I want instant exit, no searching for zipper. When I wake up with a cramp, or there's a critter in camp, I wanna be on two feet ASAP. I don't like zippers, period, in my setup. I'm just not a fan of zippers, which is why I go with BIAS Buginator bugnets that have a shock cord bottom closure.

You've still got lots of options, many of which have already been suggested: WB Traveller, Buttinasling, Wilderness Logics, Dream Hammock FreeBird, etc. I'm partial to my Buttinasling and tablecloth hammocks - haven't gotten a cramp since I went to 11 ft. length hammocks, even after hiking 16 miles in a day.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* UQ, 20* TQ
    Suspension
    WS + Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I don't like zippers, period, in my setup. I'm just not a fan of zippers, which is why I go with BIAS Buginator bugnets that have a shock cord bottom closure.
    +1 on the Buginator SilvrSurfr, this is exactly the same reasoning I used.
    -Dan

Bikes, guns, beer, and camping make me .

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234