car camping hammock stand

I've searched the forums here as well as searched Google quite a bit and see many varied plans for hammock stands. I'm curious - has anyone tried to build one out of 1 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC? 1",1 1/2", and 2" Schedule 40 PVC all seem fairly heavy duty if you engineer the force of the weight to go lengthwise.

In particular I'm thinking of something like

http://www.hammockpros.com/bliss-ham...ock-stand.html
    or
    http://www.amazon.com/Byer-Maine-Mod.../dp/B00092M27I

I'd like to make something that could be used while car camping at national and state parks along the east coast by myself and two or three teenage kids so I'd need to make 3 of whatever I make and be able to position them on a typical tent pad. My ultimate goal is that I'd like to take a two week trip up the east coast and stay at parks along the way.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I'm no structural engineer but a loaded hammock, even for a kid, can generate several hundred pounds of force. I have a feeling any kind of stand like you're describing is going to fail in a rather catastrophic way. On the other hand....I've been kicking around using PVC for the legs of a turtledog style stand. The top rail however will still need to be steel or something more substantial than PVC.

If you go this route.....I'd build it then test it with at least double the weight of your kids (sandbags or something). You might even want to throw in about double that. Both my kids end up jumping in my hammock together, sometimes with me too. I've stress tested my hammocks and suspensions quite a few times.

I do like the plastic idea though....everything in FL rusts so something polymer would be a good way to go.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WBSF, WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Yeti, Mamba
    Suspension
    W.Slings, Adj.Web
    I like that bliss hammock stand. I'm trying to figure out something I can do for the back yard but I'm cheap and don't want to spend any more money.
    Insanity Happens...

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I have a pair of 1.25"/1.5" telescoping sched 40 poles that I use for my canvas wedge tent. The load is compressive. When subjected to a snow load, they will bow.

I do not think plastic is a good choice for a hammock stand, unless you over build, and then, it's bulky, heavy, and expensive.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

After re-reading various threads on different stands (wow there are a lot of different ideas) I'm mostly drawn to the Turtle Lady & Turtle Dog stands. Has anyone used hammock stands in state parks? Florida?

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: car camping hammock stand

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    After re-reading various threads on different stands (wow there are a lot of different ideas) I'm mostly drawn to the Turtle Lady & Turtle Dog stands. Has anyone used hammock stands in state parks? Florida?
    Texas allows hanging from the trees for now... But I see now reason why any place would have a problem with a stand... It has no more impact than a Sun shelter and less impact than a tent..
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

• + New Posts