Wilderness logics Hammock
    Tarp
    Hammock cuben tarp
    Insulation
    phoenix 20 degree
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings,

Question Hammock socks

Now that we have been through a good winter, i would like to get feed back from winter hammock campers on hammock socks. What have people found to work best for breathability, weather protection, big end vents, and just general suggestions from use.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I used a WB travel sock on a recent trip. It is a nylon sock and worked well to add warmth and block wind. The issue I had was with condensation. It was -27*C on my first night and the condensation would freeze on the inside of the sock. When I got up to relieve myself and would open the zipper, the movement would shake the frozen condensation off the sock and it would fall on me. I think if it were guyed out and not so close to my face it might not have been that bad. The second night where it dropped to -31*C I left the flap open. It was better but the condesation still formed on the part that was over the hammock. I may have to look into making a frost bib or something similar.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have the Warbonnet traveller sock and like it... it fits up to 10' hammocks. Definitely needs occasional venting, but solid overall. I'm sure the Dream Hammock socks are also quality - they have a winter version.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Having used the WB sock, they're pretty much like any other sock not made of cotton. The colder it is, the more condensation you'll get. The more that you vent, the less heat that it will hold in. It's a trade off any way that you look at it.

Having said that, the difference in warmth with a sock compared to without a sock in marked. RHK had winds gusting up to 50 mph, and it wasn't detectible (except for the sound and motion). With temps hovering in the single digits, I could feel the cold spill in through the small opening each time that I vented.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* UQ, 20* TQ
    Suspension
    WS + Whoopie Hooks
    I live in MN as well, and I returned my WB Travel Sock. In temps around 0*F and below, it tends to frost up inside. From what I've heard, canvas is the way to go. I have used my own DIY Canvas sock on one trip so far and it was below zero. I had minimal condensation and it was a little warmer inside. Didn't get exact readings. I'll try to post some pictures next time I take it out.
    -Dan

Bikes, guns, beer, and camping make me .

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images

Hammock Sock

Check out MacEntyre's canvas sock at the Molly Mac Gear Store at the Outdoor Trail Gear Store. I have used one for two seasons now, whenever the temp. is below 20 degrees, and found that it really makes a difference. The site also has videos of deep cold sock use.

Hammock
    DIY 4x9 1.1 oz ripstop (5.3 oz)
    Tarp
    ZPack Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    DG UCRs, Mule Tape
    Images
    I have enjoyed the WB clone I built from 1.1 ripstop. Below 15 F I get a little frost inside. Warmer that 15 F, the top of the sock becomes moist without freezing. If I built a new sock, it will be to use a sub1 oz fabric. My sock is about 8 oz, but an investment of $90 would buy the material for a 4 oz momentum 50 Sock.

The sock keeps me very warm, much better then without especially of there is wind.
    Rick (Risk) Website: http://www.imrisk.com
    I cook. I sew. I walk. I lead. I hang. I write. I play.
    Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.amazon.com/Wildly-Success.../dp/B00COCI5HW

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Your question reminded me that I need to get some pics and post a follow-up on my DIY sock made from the mystery material first posted in this thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=64226 (The sock experiment starts about halfway down page-2)

I used this sock two different nights, the first in the low 30's and the second was a low of 28º. I really wish I'd had opportunity to test it during a colder night, but things just didn't work out. Both of these test nights were before I bought my little hanging thermometer, so I don't know what the temp inside the sock was, just the reported low for each night. But I can tell you, it definitely creates it's own little climate in there - both nights when I got up to water the tree, I was shocked at how cold it was when I opened the sock to get out! Also, I like the sock because it eliminates the constant cold breeze blowing across my face while sleeping.

As for condensation - I'm the odd man out, because I had ZERO condensation, frost, or even moisture inside the sock on either night. I attribute that to the design of the material (similar to UnderArmor) because it seems to be designed to wick-away or "breathe" moisture, so it never builds up on the material.

The penalty for this stuff is weight - it's probably about the same as a canvas sock - not an UL.

I will rig this thing in the shop if I have to just to get some pics, and will report back . . .

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1/1.9 gathered end
    Tarp
    Noah 9 for now
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, pad
    Suspension
    woopies/straps
    My next project is a sock, hope to hear more feedback, my question is there a thread or has someone made a sock with extended sides, so there would be a extended sides to sit under, somewhat like a tarp built into/onto a sock?

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Risk View Post
    I have enjoyed the WB clone I built from 1.1 ripstop. Below 15 F I get a little frost inside. Warmer that 15 F, the top of the sock becomes moist without freezing. If I built a new sock, it will be to use a sub1 oz fabric. My sock is about 8 oz, but an investment of $90 would buy the material for a 4 oz momentum 50 Sock.

The sock keeps me very warm, much better then without especially of there is wind.
    Have you ever tried any of the plastic bags with space blankets in your sock like you did with the Garlington Insulator? I've been wondering about that for a while, but I have yet to test it.

I'm thinking about making the move to an M50 sock as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast