Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    So, will a 3-season UQ be too hot in a Georgia summer? I really can't afford two UQs (heck, can't even afford one right now!) but I camp year round. Of course, year round in Georgia could probably be classified as 3 season in colder climes. This is one of those things that I really can't test out, as I don't have any hanging buddies.

I'm almost wondering if a 1 season would work for Spring/summer/fall.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    I'm in tn and in the same boat. I want one quilt. A down 20* UQ or a synthetic 30* seems like it'd roast me. That's where most people say to just loosen it up so it's not as air tight, but I'd like to hear other peoples experiences as well

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    KAQ, UGQ
    I have a 3 season New River and use it in the summer. I did not over heat from the bottom, When i got too hot i was able to remove top insulation to regulate. I am in SC.

Quote Originally Posted by dfscott View Post
    So, will a 3-season UQ be too hot in a Georgia summer? I really can't afford two UQs (heck, can't even afford one right now!) but I camp year round. Of course, year round in Georgia could probably be classified as 3 season in colder climes. This is one of those things that I really can't test out, as I don't have any hanging buddies.

I'm almost wondering if a 1 season would work for Spring/summer/fall.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by f k View Post
    I have a 3 season New River and use it in the summer. I did not over heat from the bottom, When i got too hot i was able to remove top insulation to regulate. I am in SC.
    Awesome -- that makes my decision for me. Most of my camping is in N. Georgia mountains anyway.

And nice to see someone from the Electric City! That was the "big city" when I was at Clemson.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    KAQ, UGQ
    It is still the big city if you are in Clemson. =)

Granted there are a bunch more stop lights on the way, but unless you head to Greenville it is still the closest relatively large city. I met my wife at clemson and we stuck around. =)

Quote Originally Posted by dfscott View Post
    Awesome -- that makes my decision for me. Most of my camping is in N. Georgia mountains anyway.

And nice to see someone from the Electric City! That was the "big city" when I was at Clemson.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the report Dave. I just came into some money and decided a UQ was in order and wanted to do research on Climasheild. This answered all my questions and eased doubts... and bonus, I can order two New Rivers for the price of one down UQ...so my backpacking buddy will be happy too.

Quote Originally Posted by Donk_67 View Post
    Thanks for the report Dave. I just came into some money and decided a UQ was in order and wanted to do research on Climasheild. This answered all my questions and eased doubts... and bonus, I can order two New Rivers for the price of one down UQ...so my backpacking buddy will be happy too.
    Good to hear it all worked out. You'll get a lot of use out of it. Looking forward to meeting you at Green Timbers the end of Februay. Post some pics of the KAQ in action sometime.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 1.6 DBL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly + Noah 12
    Insulation
    New River Long
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Just ordered my New River Long today after reading all the post from u guys... I think I made the correct decision. Thanks for the post.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by karma_kid View Post
    Hello, fellow hanger's! Long time listener, first time caller... I figured this was the thread to jump in on as I'm curious about the New River UQ.

Apologies if its been mentioned already but I was wondering what the pack weight of the New River is when it's in its stuff sack? I've seen the packed size in pics/video but I haven't seen anything about the weight. I'm currently rocking the 'HG Incubator 20' but I've been thinking of getting a synthetic UQ to take on trips where I know dampness will be an issue. While I do love the HG Incubator I've had it on a few trips this winter where by the 2nd night I could tell that the moisture which had built up was starting to effect the insulating properties of my quilt. It sounds as if the New River might be more tolerant of those conditions with the trade off of a few extra ounces and some pack space. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
    Since this old thread got started up again, I started reading it- I think I may have missed it before. And I noticed this post. This is a subject I would like to see discussed more. Here is a user who has run into trouble apparently with condensation in his down, while I suppose not getting any rain on it. I have reported several times about how my friend had these problems- i.e. loss of loft from condensation on at least 2 somewhat recent trips, and maybe even a 3rd from way back in the- well, let's just say a long time ago. So I think this can be a problem. And I think CS will handle it better if it does happen.

What do Y'all think, can this be an issue? I'm tempted to start a new thread, or maybe someone else can. While I think it can happen and CS will handle such problems better, it may be a moot point with the new treated down. And anyway, as a VB using type, I laugh at condensation. I f*rt in it's general direction, as some people like to say.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 1.6 DBL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly + Noah 12
    Insulation
    New River Long
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Wow... New River Long UQ arrived today. This is fantastic looking !! Almost looks to go to hang it up. Almost. Hanging in the back yard tonight... not going to be that cold but I want to get it setup correctly. AHE, this is a great looking piece of equipment!
    Thank you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast