Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    I got my New River (long) with Apex upgrade a few weeks ago. I have used it twice down to 35* and had no problems, couldn't be happier.

Lot of great information in this thread. Bumping it up to keep it moving forward.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Suspension
    Homemade Woopie
    So, storage and care for the under quilts of the world.... I don't like the idea of storing the New River UQ that I have in a compressed format. While it would be great for space savings, I don't want to create a memory in the synthetics. This might just be my own paranoia but what do you guys think? Hang them up in the closet between trips, spread them out on the bed like a regular quilt, or leave them bagged up and ready to go?

Thanks for the input.
    The destination isn't as important as most people think it is. Most times all you need is a direction and "that way" is often a good one. Enjoy the journey, cause you never know when or if you'll be back.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by forgottenWedge View Post
    So, storage and care for the under quilts of the world.... I don't like the idea of storing the New River UQ that I have in a compressed format. While it would be great for space savings, I don't want to create a memory in the synthetics. This might just be my own paranoia but what do you guys think? Hang them up in the closet between trips, spread them out on the bed like a regular quilt, or leave them bagged up and ready to go?

Thanks for the input.
    100% do not store compressed. Here is my recommendations: For storage the best option is if you can lay the quilt out flat someplace...under a bed in a spare room...across the top of a closet...etc. Second best is to pack it in a large loose fitting bag like a laundry bag from the $1 store. The big thing is to store it dry and as uncompressed as possible. Short term while on trips is fine but avoid keeping any insulation compressed for more than a few days at a time...week at most.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.1(DBL)
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Hello, fellow hanger's! Long time listener, first time caller... I figured this was the thread to jump in on as I'm curious about the New River UQ.

Apologies if its been mentioned already but I was wondering what the pack weight of the New River is when it's in its stuff sack? I've seen the packed size in pics/video but I haven't seen anything about the weight. I'm currently rocking the 'HG Incubator 20' but I've been thinking of getting a synthetic UQ to take on trips where I know dampness will be an issue. While I do love the HG Incubator I've had it on a few trips this winter where by the 2nd night I could tell that the moisture which had built up was starting to effect the insulating properties of my quilt. It sounds as if the New River might be more tolerant of those conditions with the trade off of a few extra ounces and some pack space. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Hammock
    wbbb,streamliner,GTUL
    Tarp
    Supafly,HG cuben
    Insulation
    JRBmt4,diy,AHE
    Suspension
    whooopieee
    Well for winter it will be bigger and heavier, however i believe you will happier. especially if you have moisture problems.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    HG Blue Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Kammok Straps
    I'm debating about whether or not to get one and make it "one-season." I live in Central TX, so much of spring, fall, and all of summer are HOT. Many of those nights, depending on where you are, may get down to around 60 at the lowest. It's possible I would want to camp year-round even the cold. My question is this: Is there a way to jury-rig something for a one-season quilt that I could add in the winter time, so I don't have to worry about overheating the other times of the year? Thanks!

Take a look at the AHE Jarbridge 3/4 length UQ. Smaller, lighter and supplement it with a foot pad when it's cooler out. I've got one of each and brung whatever one fits the conditions.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    HG Blue Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Kammok Straps
    Hmm good point. Will feet not get cold at say, 65, if covered with wool socks and inside a sleeping bag?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by anjea214 View Post
    Hmm good point. Will feet not get cold at say, 65, if covered with wool socks and inside a sleeping bag?

Everyone's cold tolerances are different. Some folks are good with very little even in cold weather while other folks need more to keep them warm....and of course that varies with factors like Humidity, wind, metabolism, and several other factors that vary from one person to the next.

As to adding to the 1 Season Quilts to stretch them to cooler conditions you can do several things. Adding a layer of additional insulation like a fleece or wool blanket between the quilt and hammock would work and you could just use close laundry line pins to hold it in place. Or a Reflective survival blanket, a Under quilt protector to block the wind, or a good quality foam pad would all add insulate value to varying degrees.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast