Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    My weights for a night that got down to -7*F (yes that's a negative).

Claytor Hammock: 31oz
    8x10 Equinox tarp: 14oz
    TNF -20*F Sleeping bag: 68oz
    3 ccf pads: 28oz

total:141oz = 8.8lbs

In this setup I was incredibly warm. I speculate I could go another 10degress with incredible comfort.

The only difference between this setup and a tent would be the tarp and hammock... 44oz, so unless the tent comes in at under 2.75lbs there would be no weight savings.
    It always seems to me that the hard part of these comparisons is doing an actual apples to apples comparison, instead of apples to oranges.

The obvious first major dif in the comparisons is comfort, and the second is weather proofing.

So sure, if I am willing to sleep on roots, rocks or even best scenario just flat ground with a thin GG pad or Z-rest, then sure I can save a lb or two of hammock weight. But in recent years, I have come to realize that leads to suffering for me, and I won't even consider it. If I am on the ground, I will have a thick inflating pad, and that will add 2 or 3 pounds right back, the pounds I saved by not having a hammock.

Then there is the weather factor of comparing a small tarp with no bivy to either tent or even better a hammock which is off the ground. It seems like the risk of getting insulation wet is greater on the ground under a small tarp or dealing with condensation issues in a tent. I'm thinking of a time that a buddy got the foot of his down bag soaked inside a 4 season tent during all night light rain. We never were really sure if this was from condensation in the narrow foot end of the tent ( a NF Westwind) or if water blew in the foot end vent. Either way, he then faced a miserable following night when it dropped to 15*F, since his bag was a little marginal any way, before getting wet.

It seems to me their are varying amounts of bivy like aspects to using various hammock set ups, plus you are off the ground. So it is hard to do a direct comparison of weights with these variables, and I think you at least need to add the weight of a bivy to a ground/small tarp set up to compare correctly ( or better yet use a small tent). And even then, you better be extra careful about condensation. And you are still on the wet ground so be sure and pick a spot with good drainage and don't let a rock or thorn puncture your floor! Me, I routinely hang over a swamp!

Of course, with no trees ( above timberline for ex), it is back to the ground.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB HR and NS
    Images
    Before hammocks I used a Eureka Solitaire tent, sleeping bag, and a self inflating pad. I don't think my weight changed much. I've done some paring down of other gear and I never really measured the other setups components individually so I'm not sure. The bigger problem for me is the bulk. With an under quilt, over quilt, tarp, hammock + Straps, and sometimes bug net I seem to use a lot more internal space in my pack. The tent and hammock without bug net are reasonably the same size. The tarp is small but does take up new space. The bulkiest item in my previous set up was my pad which was attached to the bottom of my pack. That essentially was replaced by the under quilt (JRB Hudson River) which takes up as much room as my sleeping bag and has to be inside the pack. It wasn't a big deal in my old 6,000ci pack but I've been trying to switch to a 3,500ci pack and I'm really stuffing it. Sorry about the slightly off topic rant I've had a bit of cabin fever and spent the last week trying to figure out how to fit everything in my new pack.
    Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
    The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
    I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rock_rat View Post
    Before hammocks I used a Eureka Solitaire tent, sleeping bag, and a self inflating pad. I don't think my weight changed much. I've done some paring down of other gear and I never really measured the other setups components individually so I'm not sure. The bigger problem for me is the bulk. With an under quilt, over quilt, tarp, hammock + Straps, and sometimes bug net I seem to use a lot more internal space in my pack. The tent and hammock without bug net are reasonably the same size. The tarp is small but does take up new space. The bulkiest item in my previous set up was my pad which was attached to the bottom of my pack. That essentially was replaced by the under quilt (JRB Hudson River) which takes up as much room as my sleeping bag and has to be inside the pack. It wasn't a big deal in my old 6,000ci pack but I've been trying to switch to a 3,500ci pack and I'm really stuffing it. Sorry about the slightly off topic rant I've had a bit of cabin fever and spent the last week trying to figure out how to fit everything in my new pack.
    A dry bag (stuffsack) for your UQ (or any other items) may help as you could attach it to the outside of your pack...just a thought
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    My hammocking started as a way to lighten up so comparing to my old tenting ways is hard.
    I weighed my winter and summer setups last night...
    Winter (good to 0-10*F) all associated items (stuffsacks, stakes, etc)
    DIY no net hammock - 19 oz
    WB Winter Yeti 2/3 UQ- 22 oz
    3/8" GG CCF pad - 5 oz
    Marmot Arroyo 30*F sleeping bag (TQ) - 33 oz
    OES MacCat Ultra - 17 oz
    Wearing whatever clothes needed as temps require (I've never worn all of them, typically just a coolmax base layer, coolmax turtleneck, DIY insulated hat, smartwool socks)
    6 lbs

3 season (good to 40*F-up) all associated items (stuffsacks, stakes, etc)
    WB BB hammock - 34 oz
    OES MacCat Ultra - 17 oz
    DIY UQ (as temps require) 7-15 oz (2 different weights)
    DIY TQ (as temps require) 15-20 oz (2 different weights)
    4.6-5.4 lbs

This is my 'comfortable' summer setup...a smaller tarp, just a sleeping bag liner + clothes, smaller, lighter DIY hammock + bugnet, no UQ, just a GG CCF pad, I could get down to 3.1(ish) lbs in hot weather.

all of these are WAY lighter than what I used to use on the ground (but I wasn't a gram weenie either!)
    Last edited by animalcontrol; 02-06-2009 at 09:52.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    My first system: Walrus Zoid tent 3lbs, Backsidedown 20 bag 3lbs, 3/4thermarest 1 lb, Total 7lbs
    My second system: Rainbow tarptent 2 lbs, WM 20 bag 2lbs, 3/4 thermarest 1 lb, Total 5lbs
    My third system: HHULBA 2lbs, WM 20 bag 2lbs, Homemade UQ 2lbs, MacCat Tarp 1lb, Total 7lbs.

So my first and third systems weigh the same. I saved weight with system 2, but I was wet a good bit of the time when I couldn't get a flat tentsite. In summer, I'll get rid of the UQ and go with a CCF pad and save a pound.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    I am a gram weenie. Hammock Systems are only heavier than Tarp or Tarp tent setups. They are still Lighter than Tent setups in most cases.

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    Another problem with this comparison is it is hard if not impossible to quantify the value of the superior night's rest you get with a hammock. When I go with my ground dwelling friends, thier setup may be marginally lighter but when I see how refreshed I am in the morning and how long it takes them to get the kinks out, I will take an extra pound or two. This effect seems to magnify as the trip wears on.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
    Another problem with this comparison is it is hard if not impossible to quantify the value of the superior night's rest you get with a hammock. When I go with my ground dwelling friends, thier setup may be marginally lighter but when I see how refreshed I am in the morning and how long it takes them to get the kinks out, I will take an extra pound or two. This effect seems to magnify as the trip wears on.
    I think you are on to something!

By the start of the last day of a hard week long trip in the Rockies- first time ever that I slept in a hammock (stock HHULEXPSS), I saw exactly the same thing. And it was a major factor in my conversion to a hanger.

And even though I was unhappy with my decision to go with a hammock most of that trip ( I was learning both hammock and SS related things as I went), observing the fact you state above, I was a convert by the end of the week. After a brutal day boulder hopping across the last pass of the trip, we finally stopped at our last nights camp, totally exhausted, close to sunset. As this campsite was much closer to a trailhead ( only 6 miles) than any of our other camps, there were people there. Any good(tent) sites were taken, and we were too tired to keep hiking in a search for better sites.

When I was awakened from a deep sleep the next morning by the sound of my gang breaking camp, I found some unhappy campers. They were tired from rolling down hill and roots and rocks, and seemed cold. But as for me, between one more day towards getting over the altitude sickness that had plagued me the entire trip, and a wonderful long nights rest, I woke up hungry and ready to go. It was my best day of the trip, and my ground dwelling friends were tired, cold and grumpy. And they were young bucks, 20 to 25 years younger than me!

It was obvious to me that my multiple nights of excellent rest is what made the difference. Now, I suspect that more than makes up for any pound or two I MIGHT have been able to save with a tent or tarp and pad on the ground, but I might be wrong.

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Backpacker
    Insulation
    None
    Sorry if I'm double posting, I tried Tarps with nets and ground cloths etc. I consider my area Sub Tropical. Bug netting is a must. If you don't have a Tarp your gear will be soaked by the 90% average humidity and will never dry out. The brush is so thick you will rip those fancy pants right off of ya. I live in Orange County which happens to recieve more annual rain fall than any other county in the state. No Hammock No Lightweight Camping for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123