Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY 1.0oz HyperD
    Insulation
    DIY PLgold 48x60
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks

h_ngm_n hammock - 1.0 oz hyperD

I finished the hammock last night and just finished splicing up my amsteel suspension. It wasn't too bad working with the 1.0oz hyperD. I initially started my hemming w/ pinning the entire side. That was more trouble than it was worth. After the first edge using pins I just made sure I got a good measurement at the start and worked in 1 foot sections checking width before starting a new section. Everything worked great. I followed Xtrekkers hammock instructions.

I started w/ an 11'x58" blank and finished hammock (before Knotty whip) is 10.5'x56". It looks huge stretched out in the spare room!

Sorry no pics yet. I didn't do any during construction as I've got nothing new to add. I'll get some pics up once I actually get it hung.

The only thing maybe worth adding about the build. I noticed on my practice pieces when I went in reverse to lock the stitch when starting and ending a run, the fabric would bunch up making a crappy stitch. I ended up putting a piece of scotch tape on the ends to 1. firm up the fabric and 2. give me something to hold onto. Worked great and there is no sign of adhesive buildup on the needle.

Hammock
    DIY 1.0oz HyperD
    Insulation
    DIY PLgold 48x60
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Just weighed the hammock and all suspension (minus tree straps) and the total weight is 7.76 ozs.

I'm going to try and get it hung today so hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Look forward to it! I've got some here for a new UL hammock.

Thanks for the tip about the scotch tape -- just what I needed to know before starting.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    On the backstitch-
    I have that problem with all the 1.0 oz and under fabrics on my machine- good trick with the tape!

I usually start my needle about 3/4" off the edge then backstitch. This usually goes okay but does occasionally bunch.
    To get going forward I turn the needle by hand for the first 3/4" or so- not sure why it works but it does.

Hammock
    DIY 1.0oz HyperD
    Insulation
    DIY PLgold 48x60
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Here's some pics. I went out to a little wooded area by the office and hung it up. Unfortunately, I don't feel like I can give a good review of it yet as the adjustable ridgeline I rig up kept slipping. I just need to make a better ARL so I can really set it and hold a certain lengths. I was able to hang in it and it was great, there was just pinching along my shoulders that I think with a good ridgeline will be better. Otherwise even with the pinching I was comfortable and could definitely sleep.

PC010222.jpg PC010225.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 1.0oz HyperD
    Insulation
    DIY PLgold 48x60
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    I've remeasured the finished hammock length w/ the gathered end knot. With the knots the hammock comes out to 9'11". 83% is 8' 2.75". Since my hammock is not as wide (56" vs 60") I went ahead a shaved off little more from the ridgeline so my finished ridgeline is 8' 1 13/16"..roughly 8' 2".

I was honestly shooting for a finished hammock length of 10.5'. I'm kicking myself for not taking into account all the loss from hemming and whipping the hammock. Lesson learned here. If I take the whipping out and just use the sewn channel I will have a 10.5" hammock. Just worried about the 1.0oz fabric and stitching holding up to the stress. Any thoughts?

Hopefully I'll get a chance to hang the hammock today and test out the new ridgeline to see if the shoulder squeeze issue is solved.

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by h_ngm_n View Post
    I've remeasured the finished hammock length w/ the gathered end knot. With the knots the hammock comes out to 9'11". 83% is 8' 2.75". Since my hammock is not as wide (56" vs 60") I went ahead a shaved off little more from the ridgeline so my finished ridgeline is 8' 1 13/16"..roughly 8' 2".

I was honestly shooting for a finished hammock length of 10.5'. I'm kicking myself for not taking into account all the loss from hemming and whipping the hammock. Lesson learned here. If I take the whipping out and just use the sewn channel I will have a 10.5" hammock. Just worried about the 1.0oz fabric and stitching holding up to the stress. Any thoughts?

Hopefully I'll get a chance to hang the hammock today and test out the new ridgeline to see if the shoulder squeeze issue is solved.
    h_ngm_n thanks for posting some discussion on the build and pics. Did you use calendered OD green?
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    DIY 1.0oz HyperD
    Insulation
    DIY PLgold 48x60
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Hey Kyle..yes it is the calendered OD green.

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I made a hammock with the same fabric, and I just have a sewn channel with my suspension running through that. I only have two rows of stitching and it hasn't shown any signs of wear. I don't think it's something you need to worry about. Just make sure your stitch length isn't too close.

Hammock
    DIY Cloud
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by h_ngm_n View Post
    Just worried about the 1.0oz fabric and stitching holding up to the stress. Any thoughts?
    I have made a few hammocks where I sewed an end channel and ran the whoopie sling/continuous loop through that. What I recently found out is at least 2 of these show significant stress marks where the needle went through the fabric. The material is 1.1 ripstop nylon and if you look at the sewn channel while the hammock is weighted, it looks like there is a perforated line along the sewn channel just waiting to rip. There doesn't seem to be any actual damage to the strands of fabric, just that they are grouped tightly together between stiches giving the fabric that perforated line look. I've been meaning to take some pictures and start a thread but haven't had time to do that. It looks threatening enough that I have now begun whipping the ends instead of sewing a channel, which definitely is not as comfortable for me (I've only experimented with one style of whipping thus far, though).

To better answer your question, the stitching seems to be holding up fine after heavy use, it's just the fabric that I am concerned about.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast