Better way to hang my indoor hammock?

First off, I'm new here so hopefully you will see more of me here! I have 2 support beams in my basement that are made of about 1/8 inch steel in the outside then solid concrete. Currently my homemade hammock (bed sheet and some rope) is hanging with a combination of duct tape and other various securing rope. I want something much cleaner and simpler but the problem is is the poles are too smooth and everything slips down if not duct taped. Attached is a picture of me in the hammock so you can get an idea of what it actually looks like. Any suggestions are welcome thanks

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Sorry...I don't see any attachment. Duct tape does fix most anything. If you don't like the looks then perhaps go with some other type of "grip tape" like you'd put on a bat or racquet handle. The added friction from a few turns around the post will keep straps/rope from sliding down. Even a wrap of the kind of tacky "shelf liner" will serve the same purpose (and it comes in every color of the rainbow).

Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Sorry...I don't see any attachment. Duct tape does fix most anything. If you don't like the looks then perhaps go with some other type of "grip tape" like you'd put on a bat or racquet handle. The added friction from a few turns around the post will keep straps/rope from sliding down. Even a wrap of the kind of tacky "shelf liner" will serve the same purpose (and it comes in every color of the rainbow).
    Here is the Imgur link. http://imgur.com/H6ulN64

And I don't know, that doesn't really improve what I have by much.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    you might tie or tape a 2x4 (upright) to the poles. cut the 2x4 to height of the attachment and let your suspension rest over top of the 2x4. that should stop the susp. from sliding down.

Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    you might tie or tape a 2x4 (upright) to the poles. cut the 2x4 to height of the attachment and let your suspension rest over top of the 2x4. that should stop the susp. from sliding down.
    That is a good idea. What sort of knot should I tie in order to prevent the 2x4 from sliding down as well?

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Inordination View Post
    That is a good idea. What sort of knot should I tie in order to prevent the 2x4 from sliding down as well?
    the 2x4 rests on the floor and is the height that you want to suspend the hammock from. the top of the stud will act as a ledge for your sespention to rest on.
    be sure to secure the stud (around the pole) near the bottom and top maybe the middle too.
    top view.............................................. ..................Be Careful!
    welcome to HammockForums.
    Attached Images Attached Images

the 2x4 rests on the floor and is the height that you want to suspend the hammock from. the top of the stud will act as a ledge for your sespention to rest on.
    be sure to secure the stud (around the pole) near the bottom and top maybe the middle too.
    top view.............................................. ..................Be Careful!
    welcome to HammockForums.
    Great idea...thanks!

Hammock
    BIAS WW, DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway, Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Yeti, Bag
    Suspension
    WB Adj.,or Whoopie
    Images
    A c-clamp onto your pole. Then you can hang your suspension above it and it will act as a stop.

Hammock
    DD Traveler
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Air mat
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Even better if there is a hole drilled through the stud with the rope fed through.
    Then there is no risk of slipping off the stud. The stud could go behind the pole with rope feeding through it.

Still have to prevent the bottom of the stud from sliding out though.
    If its on carpet it would be ok. But for other surface a simple knot around the base of the stud and pole should prevent sliding.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    Until I moved I had the same setup. What I did was tie a prusik around the pole with some 3/8" rope. It held great after it was loaded the first time it didn't move.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

• + New Posts