Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Advice- I am a broke college that is starting to hammock and wants advice.

Hey guys, I am a sophomore in college that goes to a university in the Appalachian Mountains in Southeast Kentucky. As you can imagine we do a lot of hiking and camping while fly fishing. I am going to soon invest in a hammock setup and wanted everyone's advice on what would be the cheapest and best route. I play o line on the university's team and throw for the track team as well ;therefore, I am a large man 6-2, 285 and figured you should know that. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The four main things you are going to need is the hammock, a tarp, top insulation and bottom insulation. To go as cheap a possible, get a blue tarp and a closed cell foam pad from walmart. Use an old sleeping bag for top insulation and maybe get a Grand Trunk ultralight hammock. If you have or can borrow an old sleeping bag, then the tarp, pad and hammock would probably cost less than $50.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL & 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    First of all ....Welcome to HF. You can save a lot of money by making some of your gear. Look in the DIY thread for plenty of ideas on all kinds of gear. There's stuff on everything from hammocks to quilts, to stoves and everything in between. You can also get ideas from going to a nearby hang and checking out everyone elses gear. When you purchase gear don't worry about having the top of the line, especially at first, but get the best that you can afford at the time and upgrade your gear as money permits. I've found that there is no "Best" piece of gear that's "Best" for everyone. You have to find what suits you and makes you comfortable. Being comfortable in the great outdoors and enjoying the experience is what it's all about.

Spend some time here on HF and read all that you can to learn all about hammocking. There's tons of really good people on here that have lots of experience that can answer your questions. There are also lots of good used gear for sale on the buy/sell forum as well as great cottage vendors with all kinds of gear to purchase. Good luck in your journey and again...Welcome.
    Hello from Lookout Mountain in N.E. Alabama,home of Little River Canyon National Preserve- The deepest gorge East of the Mississippi.

What can you spend? As with anything else going TOO cheap will leave you unhappy and looking to upgrade.

I can't see doing much sleeping in an GT UL... I am 5'10" and I can't get too diagonal/flat because its a bit narrow. Plus it is only technically rated to 250 iirc, he would probably be fine but....

Pretty much in your same boat myself, don't really have the cash to get spendy stuff... Here is what I did.

I went with a skeeter beater pro. $50-$60 and pretty darn comfy. Rated to 350lbs, Attached bugnet, most bugnets cost more then this hammock does. I still use the rope suspension, I bought a cheap pair of straps and cut the buckles off for tree straps. I tie the stock rope to them with a sheet-bend, go around the stock clip and tie a taughtline hitch so I can adjust the length.

TBH I almost see an underquilt as necessary. You CAN use a pad for the time being but you can make a poncho liner underquilt without any real work for ~$35 and be good to around 50F. Put something between the two halfs and you can get lower...

Tarp, Cheapest is walmart blue tarp (or other colors :P ) real cheap, real big, real bulky.
    I ended up with one of the Kelty Noah tarps. I got the 12 for like $50 shipped, but don't have the link anymore. The 9 may be enough and save you some weight.
    Also look at the BCUSA tarp if you can. Also look up Tyvek tarps.

Topquilt, I would use what ever sleeping bag you have.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    If you have a warm sleeping bag you will not need to bother with much if any other insulation unless you plan on campign in very cold weather. I have done many nights in the teens with just a good 15 degree down bag and a few extra layers on. North woods Hammock Co. is a great new cottage vendor here in WI that I know very well. I also have an expensive but very nice Hennessy Hammock and very affordable ENO. I have used the Eno much more in cold weather when there are fewer bugs. When I was a broke college student up until a year ago when I graduated and just became broke, I actually spent many nights hanging out in the art studio on campus or even some local parks after long nights of painting or working ceramics. I would take a look here http://northwoodshammock.com/
    Owner and guide at nowoutdoors.org
    www.meetup.com/Wilderness-Adventure-Group/
    https://www.facebook.com/NickAtNowOutdoors/

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Skip the GTUL, at 6'2" you'll never be terribly comfy in that.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    I am new to hanging and broke (3 boys to feed) as well. I am making my own hammock and gear.

As a college student I doubt you have access to a tread injector, but many people have good things to say about the tablecloth hammock. Simply gather the ends, whip and hang.

I am going to be making a modified version of the poncho liner under quilt when I find the time.

For a tarp, try finding some Tyvek or even Polycryo (window shrink insulation plastic) and some tape. May not be the prettiest tarps but they come cheap. I also plan on experimenting with these materials for my tarp.

As long as you don't do any extreame hanging (i.e. deep winter, heavy storms etc) I think these should get you through for a while. At least that will give you time to decide what you want or need to spend your money for upgrades. That is my plan.

(Disclaimer: I am very much a noob. I am not responsible for the accuracy of any advise I give. These are things I have only read on these forums and have no personal experience. Follow at your own risk and hang close to the ground.)

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Hammock - Tablecloth hammock - $12-$15

Under Insulation - Yoga mat or military surplus sleeping pad - $20

Top Insulation - Sleeping bag or military surplus wool blanket - $20-$40

Tarp - any blue tarp from any hardware/box store at least 10 feet in length - $5-$20

So for $60-$80 you can have a full setup that will get you hanging.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Most of the time I've found that you really do get what you pay for, but with the Tablecloth hammocks this is not the case. You can spend $12 and get one of the most comfy hammocks out there.

You can get a Kelty or Chinook tarp for a reasonable price (and they get good reviews). They are a bit heavy for backpacking, but should serve you fine.

With a cheap sleeping bag and a CCF pad you will stay warm.

All that being said..... I would get the best gear you can afford. (and I find an underquilt is much more comfortable than a pad, but the pad will work)
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    Hammock - Tablecloth hammock - $12-$15

Under Insulation - Yoga mat or military surplus sleeping pad - $20

Top Insulation - Sleeping bag or military surplus wool blanket - $20-$40

Tarp - any blue tarp from any hardware/box store at least 10 feet in length - $5-$20

So for $60-$80 you can have a full setup that will get you hanging.
    Good list, except the yoga mat... A CCF pad from Wal-Mart is $7 and will be a much better insulator than most yoga mats.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast