DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    What a great trip report! I hung in for every word. That kind of cold isn't my thing, but I'm glad you took the time for such a detailed report so some of us can vicariously experience such a beautiful winter trip.

Hammock
    Too many
    Tarp
    Too many
    Insulation
    Too many
    Suspension
    Too many
    Images
    What a brilliant trip report this is. Thanks a lot.
    Good read, and valuable for those wishing to venture deeper into the cold.
    Thanks a lot of the kit list as well.. Its good to read up more about the gear and broaden the knowledge base. (Never knew about VBL socks!)

Im looking into getting a Primus stove as well. They seem to have better flame control over the MSR models. Do you think the OmniLite being made of titanium had anything to do with it being underpowered at those temps?
    Im also looking at the non titanium version (OmniFuel) and the GravityMF (lighter). Any tips?
    Also, did you end up using the spare pump?

Cheers!
    From the trees we came, to the trees we shall return

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    Thank you for sharing. This was one of the better trip reports I've read in a long time. Wonderful pictures for a wonderful looking trip. Wow.
    Thanks FireInMyBones

Quote Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
    Thanks for a great report of a great trip!

As a Swede, I can only roll my eyes at SJ and SAS.. unfortunately their reliability has been an issue for several years, particularly in the winter. And since everything is run from Stockholm, the understanding and focus leaves a few things to be desired..
    Cheers KO it was surprising trains could just disappear from timetables-nice to know SJ weren't singling me out

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    What an excellent adventure! I looked thru Waylands report @ bushcraftUK and all his pics too. Fantastic. I really enjoyed the museum items.

Thanks for sharing a full run down on your kit. Staying warm is one thing, keeping your gear from full out freeze is another.

Without the drying rooms, do you think you coul have camped in the cold that long.??
    Thanks Gargoyel Yes, Waylands Pics were great- I wish I'd have gone to the museums after seeing his pics.

As for staying dry, I didn't really need the drying rooms or even use them.
    Without washing the VB socks, they get quite whiffy though and highly offensive.
    I had most problems with damp from bringing my kit in from the cold into the warm. Frost would melt and soak in that would normally brush off.
    In the conditons we had, a longer stay outside with no break after a week or ad-hoc use of a radiator would have been fine. Hot nalgenes really drive the moisture out of sock, liners and sleeping bags in the low humidity.
    I know I could have done longer and the 3 nights I spent inside in the 2 weeks caused the most amount of moisture

Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    What a wonderful way to enjoy my Saturday morning coffee. Thanks so much for taking the time to write this up. I really enjoyed it.
    Cheers Canoebie, glad you enjoyed it

Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    What a great trip report! I hung in for every word. That kind of cold isn't my thing, but I'm glad you took the time for such a detailed report so some of us can vicariously experience such a beautiful winter trip.
    Cheers Detail man, an absolute pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by russwestwood View Post
    What a brilliant trip report this is. Thanks a lot.
    Good read, and valuable for those wishing to venture deeper into the cold.
    Thanks a lot of the kit list as well.. Its good to read up more about the gear and broaden the knowledge base. (Never knew about VBL socks!)

Im looking into getting a Primus stove as well. They seem to have better flame control over the MSR models. Do you think the OmniLite being made of titanium had anything to do with it being underpowered at those temps?
    Im also looking at the non titanium version (OmniFuel) and the GravityMF (lighter). Any tips?
    Also, did you end up using the spare pump?

Cheers!
    Thanks Russ

The Omnilite has a lower output than the Omnifuel, 2600w compared to 3000w of the Omnifuel. Titanium or stainless, they both have similar thermal properties and so won't affect the performance much. Although I haven't used the Omnifuel down to these really low temps, its definitely got more punch. I used one last year in the arctic and the Omnifuel will be used on future trips with big pots, even though its double the weight.

I don't really like the look of the Gravity, the fuel pipe looks a little exposed TBH-ripe for being bent when packed. Its also got no priming pad. The Omnifuel/optimus Nova always gets the nod as the best from the stovies too for a reliable stove with good simmer control.
    Burning clean fuel, I didn't need to clean the jet once

The spare pump wasn't needed this time.

Hammock
    Too many
    Tarp
    Too many
    Insulation
    Too many
    Suspension
    Too many
    Images
    Thanks for the info. I've got a better idea this time.. Appreciate it. Wishing you all the best in your future trips and look forward to reading more of your trip reports!
    From the trees we came, to the trees we shall return

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Bivi Hornet XL
    Tarp
    DD XL 4,5x3 Coyote
    Insulation
    DD Snugpak UB
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    Very nice. I live just 2 hours drive from Abisko, on the Norwegian side of the border. I have been up there many times, and in Jokkmokk and Kirruna too. So I can full appreciate what your expedition must have been like.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by russwestwood View Post
    Thanks for the info. I've got a better idea this time.. Appreciate it. Wishing you all the best in your future trips and look forward to reading more of your trip reports!
    No probs Russ If you wanna know anymore, just ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    Very nice. I live just 2 hours drive from Abisko, on the Norwegian side of the border. I have been up there many times, and in Jokkmokk and Kirruna too. So I can full appreciate what your expedition must have been like.
    Thanks Rune. I will get to around Narvik, Harstad and the Lofotens before long-you live in a beautiful part of the world

Hammock
    HH Expedition (zip mod)
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    HH+rap rings+biner
    Thanks for sharing!

Great pictures and trip report.

You guys are tough when you can cook and eat outside in that very cold weather with a gas stove. Looks like some suffering going on here.

I see trees and dead wood all around that could feed a little inside wood stove.

Using open tarp shelters in that cold so you can sleep in a hammock is not worth it.
    Snow is nice to sleep on. A little wood stove you can reach from your sleeping bag can be lit to warm things up a bit before you get out in the morning.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Awesome report! Thanks for the write up!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AE Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images
    Great pictures. Really enjoyed your post. Can't wait to get out soon.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast