Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images

One Bag Systems are the way to go!

Secure a water source. Set up gravity filtering system. I hate pumping.
    Then I set up my rig right away. I have an OBS system in a compression bag except my tarp is separate. It makes me happy to have a large dry spot around my rig so it goes up first.
    I then change into dry clothes.
    I prefer to set in my hammock and fix dinner/eat/hydrate. Plus have my morning coffee that way before Im even out of the sleeping bag (another thing that makes me happy).
    Tidy up, hang pack/boots on hammock suspension but have experimented with gear lofts, jury is still out on that.
    I usually then go to sleep.
    I rarely have a fire unless I'm in a group but mostly I'm alone or with one other. My Bush Buddy makes up for having a fire. I've even dried socks with it.
    Packing up is quick now that I compress it all in one bag.

Edit: I left out that I do hang a bear bag hopefully before dark.
    Last edited by L.D. Cakes; 03-03-2013 at 10:19.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    A simple order, not unlike many here:

1. Find suitable trees, preferably with a natural wind break
    2. Rig tarp, leave in skins if not raining.
    3. Hang hammock
    4. Attach UQ
    5. Take hammock for a test lay
    6. Adjust suspension to good sitting height with foot end slightly higher
    7. Repeat steps 5 & 6 as neccessary
    8. Peel myself out of now super comfortable hammock
    9. Place TQ, footpad &/or reflectix pad in hammock
    10. Fill up water vessels and filter/treat as neccessary
    11. If having a fire, gather and prep firewood
    12. If first night out tossed foil rolled potato in coals of fire and suspend steak above flames, otherwise boil water to rehydrate dinner
    13. Watch Caveman TV, while eating dinner and listening the sounds of the woods.
    14. Once the fire is out, snuggle into the downy goodness of the hammock
    15. Wake up and wonder where the night went.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images
    What she said

Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    Secure a water source. Set up gravity filtering system. I hate pumping.
    Then I set up my rig right away. I have an OBS system in a compression bag except my tarp is separate. It makes me happy to have a large dry spot around my rig so it goes up first.
    I then change into dry clothes.
    I prefer to set in my hammock and fix dinner/eat/hydrate. Plus have my morning coffee that way before Im even out of the sleeping bag (another thing that makes me happy).
    Tidy up, hang pack/boots on hammock suspension but have experimented with gear lofts, jury is still out on that.
    I usually then go to sleep.
    I rarely have a fire unless I'm in a group but mostly I'm alone or with one other. My Bush Buddy makes up for having a fire. I've even dried socks with it.
    Packing up is quick now that I compress it all in one bag.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks cuben
    Insulation
    WB, JRB, or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing
    1. 5-10-minute SLLS (stop, look, listen and smell) check. I'll just sit there quietly for a while taking it all in to make sure that there's nothing around that might later make me want to relocate.

2. Area walk-around. 50-100-ish yards in all directions. Check for a water source, animal signs, fall hazards (day and night), marijuana grows (true story) , shallow graves....etc.

3. Sunrise and sunset orientation check. I like to look directly out from my WBBB to see the sunrise if at all possible...that can take some finesse with the bug net.

4. Prevalent wide direction check. Don't like my hammock to be a kite or UQ to be a windsock. And on the rare occasion I have a fire I don't want the smoke blowing on my rig if avoidable.

5. Tree selection and widow maker/hazard check.

Then, just like most here...setup, adjust, fine-tune.....chow, pictures, read, write, explore....Jameson.....etc.

Jay

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

You Said it Best

Quote Originally Posted by jayf124 View Post
    1. 5-10-minute SLLS (stop, look, listen and smell) check. I'll just sit there quietly for a while taking it all in to make sure that there's nothing around that might later make me want to relocate.

2. Area walk-around. 50-100-ish yards in all directions. Check for a water source, animal signs, fall hazards (day and night), marijuana grows (true story) , shallow graves....etc.

3. Sunrise and sunset orientation check. I like to look directly out from my WBBB to see the sunrise if at all possible...that can take some finesse with the bug net.

4. Prevalent wide direction check. Don't like my hammock to be a kite or UQ to be a windsock. And on the rare occasion I have a fire I don't want the smoke blowing on my rig if avoidable.

5. Tree selection and widow maker/hazard check.

Then, just like most here...setup, adjust, fine-tune.....chow, pictures, read, write, explore....Jameson.....etc.

Jay
    You said it best there. It's part of my recon after I select a site. I also, plan out a backup site if I have to bug out. If I feel uneasy about a site, or if someone unstable is nearby, I'm out of there. I had a nut job walk into my camp site with a pistol in his hand. Long story, but from that point on, I always had a backup spot planned out. It might be to a shelter, or hike 5 miles.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234