12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle

i got my first thread injector...

i joined this forum about 6 months ago with only an eno dn and now i have 3 hammocks and just got a thread injector. i didn't know this hobby was gonna get me so bad.

anyway, i got an elna su with table from my aunt. she said it was about 30 years old... the same age i am. she also gave me some stitching thingies and some other pieces.

i know absolutely NOTHING about sewing. rtfm, right now i'm on page 7 of the manual. i know there is some thread, then things move up and down, then some magic happens, and you have attached two pieces of fabric.

my aunt said i should get it serviced so that will give me some time to read up on how to work this thing. so until it gets serviced i have 2 questions:
    1) i'm curious on what your opinion of this thread injector is?
    2) any good sites on sewing tutorials for the absolute beginner? i wanna start simple before jumping into trying to make hammock gear. i'd love to replace my sleeping bag with a custom made tq.
    3) [bonus points] whats the difference in a thread injector and a sewing machine? y'all seem to call it a thread injector and i want to call it a sewing machine so i gotta know this.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

Re: i got my first thread injector...

1) I am not sure, I only know the one I have. I am very new to this as well.
    2) start with stuff sacks. I utilized chickenwing you tube channel and backwoodsdaydreamer.com guides to help me out. Chickenwing or cwhammocks has a you tube channel by the name of Eric hudgens.
    3) I believe it has something to do with the "we don't sew, we make gear" motto, as I said thread injector to my gf and her mom and they were both like what? Oh you mean sewing machine? Lol.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    We Don't Sew... We Make Gear is linked in my sig. It was intended for the absolute beginner. Some folks have found it helpful. From there, the sky's the limit. Therde are some mad skillz on this forum. But you are on a slippery slope. BTW it is good you have your won machine. Protect it well.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I agree with Deadphans...start with stuff sacs. I followed the youtube video by chickenwing, and the results were top notch on my first try. Download the excel file he put together, enter your specific dimensions, and it will make the project so much easier.

Start with scrap, and get the feel for the rate of feed and don't get in a hurry.

I also was going to attach the video set put together by Ramblinrev, but as I scrolled down, I saw he had referenced them himself.

I've read it here before, but if your lines are perfectly straight, it just means your putting an artistic flare to your gear.
    Leonard Outdoors Youtube.com/drleonar

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

Re: i got my first thread injector...

I agree, following chickenwings stuff sack instructions my first stuff sack was amazing. I couldn't believe it and was so happy! Then I started making pillows which is also very easy. I made a stuff sack and a pillow for all my hanging buddies.

I recently tried making down booties out of a jcp jacket. I had ideas in mind to make it 3D so to speak, but it didn't work out as I hoped and turned them in to down socks. Still fits on my feet and toasty! Basically with patience and a good eye you can make 1D stuff fairly easy.

I am currently waiting for supplies to make my first down top quilt and a grizz beak.

Slippery slope is an understatement!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    thanks guys. i've been watching Ramblinrev's video's some today and i'll check out the other ones later. y'all have given me a good starting point.

i'm going to check out a place by work tomorrow to service my thread injector. my aunt said it probably needed it, so i thought i should do that first.

I've read it here before, but if your lines are perfectly straight, it just means your putting an artistic flare to your gear.
    i was an art student for 8 years, my lines are never straight!

oh yeah. i just wanted to add that my family thought i was crazy asking if we had an extra sewing machine. when i told them what it was ultimately for then they knew i was crazy.

• + New Posts