nano hammock w/ridge
    Tarp
    wb spinn edge
    Insulation
    yeti & jrb torso
    Suspension
    whoopie

HH Overcover/JRB underquilt on non-HH trial

Well, I just got back from a couple of 5 to10 degree precipitation-free nights in PA experimenting with a bunch of things… here’s what I used:

Ultralight travel hammock (6” shorter than most HH hammocks) with added structural ridge line
    Standard HH silnylon tarp
    HH Super Shelter overcover (OC)
    Jacks ‘r Better torso length underquilt (TUQ)
    1/4 ” gg foam pad – the really wide one, tapered a bit
    3/8” torso gg foam pad, placed over the ¼” pad
    15 degree mountain hardware phantom down sleeping bag

…and I wore a lot of clothing, too…

So, the rationale for this crazy mix is that I want to go as light as I can each of four seasons, while being fairly comfortable, and to use (or abuse!) stock equipment. Since I only section hike, I can always comfortably predict a temperature range and bring only what I need. I even use the HH tree hugger suspension approach to save weight. I also want to be able to use the same equipment in different combos, from the hammock with bug headnet, to just the underquilt , to the underquilt and the torso pad, to the underquilt with both pads, then finally, everything with the super shelter overcover. And the torso UQ is nice and light and was perfect as a down parka…

Now, about that overcover. I’ve been hinting about wanting to try it, and now that I have, I think it may be really helpful. There’s no doubt that an overcover helps a tremendous amount -- it must be the lightest way to make a heatable space around a hammock – I’d really liked using it when I was using my HH. So, I threaded the overcover through the hammock suspension lines,and laid it over my structural ridge line. I then used the OC shock chord loops to fasten the OC to my suspension line. Then I tied a 1’ long piece of shock chord to each of the overcover side pull out points. I ran the OC shoulder piece of shock chord through the TUQ side pull out carabineer location, and the OC foot piece of shock chord through the lower TUQ carabineer. The first night I hung my (wet from snow) trail shoes from the shock chord, and they were close to the right weight… but they were sooooooooooo frozen solid in the morning I short of regretted that move. Anyway, the one foot of shock chord to the shoe allows the OC to be lifted up when you get into the hammock on the head side. Once inside, if you lay on the “HH” typical diagonal, the OC gets pulled into place and provides really nice coverage… and you can lift it up on either side to see outside – which helps a lot with the claustrophobia of the OC on a standard HH. You can also take both “weights” and put them on one side or the other to provide partial protection, or to just get the OC out of the way… and if you lie slightly off the diagonal, you can get increased ventilation along the edges of the OC. I need to think more about the weight thing, though… something a little bit lighter than my trail shoe would work better – my guess is that next time if everything isn't frozen to the ground I’d find some rock to use.

I think this system would work best with one of JRB’s heavier UQ’s, since that would just be simpler -- but I do love my new torso length, and plan to use it all the time... and I think that a silnylon OC like the one manufactured by HH has lots of advantages… on any hammock.

Comments?

Images
    That OC, unlike the UC, is not sil-nylon, right? Isn't it something breathable? I think I am going to order one.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The Hennessey overcover is indicated on the website to be untreated nylon (uncoated 30 D nylon).
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    There’s no doubt that an overcover helps a tremendous amount -- it must be the lightest way to make a heatable space around a hammock...
    Comments?
    I concur. I bought my OC many months before I started using it, and now I wouldn't hang without it except in summer. Its amazing what a difference it makes when both settling down at night, and again when trying to pry myself out of the sack in the morning.

Your weight technique is interesting. I don't have the zipper mod on my HH, so I can't reach out to lift up, but I find the "crack" along the seam with the UC is enough to prevent ventilation and claustrophobia problems. I can just push out a little bit with my hand and see out around my campsite.

Its not only very light, but very compact as well. It tucks into a corner of a pack, consuming almost no space at all.

I haven't had condensation problems with it at +0 temperatures, but when the thermometer drops well below zero it can get pretty frosty.

--Kurt

Hammock
    nano hammock w/ridge
    Tarp
    wb spinn edge
    Insulation
    yeti & jrb torso
    Suspension
    whoopie
    ...i'd swear mine is silnylon. it is a couple of years old. have they changed it or am i mistaken?

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    ...i'd swear mine is silnylon. it is a couple of years old. have they changed it or am i mistaken?
    Mine is not siliconized, but I dunno if they changed it. Try holding a section of it over your mouth and seeing if you can blow air through it.

--Kurt

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The undercover IS silnylon from what I understand. Might you have them confused?
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts