Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    >I still like to keep a little hidden just to keep someone from pillaging my gear

That's what happened to me. I had my backpack, cooking gear, stove, food and other stuff stolen. I guess I'm a bit jaded now, I lost a lot of trust and haven't really got it back yet. Most people on the trails are great though.

Agreed, if there are local rules about camping, then I follow them. Not all RV camps are horrible, but I do understand the point. My question here was really with regard to hiking and backcountry camping, and I do not consider an RV campground in that category. My daughter is only 7, and up until recently really didn't have the endurance to do much back woods camping. We've spent a bit of time in these RV grounds, and used them as a basecamp and did day hikes from there. For that, they are fine, but they cannot compare with really being out in the bush. They were a good intro for my daughter though. This spring, we're planning some hikes in NY and Vermont, so she'll get her first taste of real hiking and camping. (I only have small hiking tents, so I think the sleeping arrangements will be Mom/Daughter/Dog in a small tent; myself in a hammock. I suspect along the way, the hammock will be taken over by one of them, that's fine. My daughter wants to stay in the hammock with me, but I'm not sure that'll work really)

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bristolview View Post
    I guess I'm a bit jaded now...
    I don't think so. Lots of bad things happen in the woods, where we are more vulnerable and isolated. Most people are good neighbors, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't watch out for the bad guys!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Yes, , , , and No.

Because I can camp nearly anywhere, I genarally do.
    One of my favorite "Hammock vs Tent" stories: I was hiking with my then work partner & his 17 yo nephew (from Florida) along Osborne bend loop in RRG, ths is a tril along a ridge, minimal tent sites. I decided to take a break, & never caught up with them, , well, I decided they needed Uncle / nephew time, and I was tired. So, I set up right next to the trail, had a GREAT night sleep, as usual. The next AM, I caught up with them, sleeping on the ground on the side of a fairly steep hill. I had to wake them both up, even the 17 year old was moaning & groaning about how bad he had slept on the side of the hill. I laughed & said "I slept great!" My work partner said, and not for the first or last time: "Shut up Gary!".

Poor groundlings.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Yes, , , , and No.

Because I can camp nearly anywhere, I genarally do.
    One of my favorite "Hammock vs Tent" stories: I was hiking with my then work partner & his 17 yo nephew (from Florida) along Osborne bend loop in RRG, ths is a tril along a ridge, minimal tent sites. I decided to take a break, & never caught up with them, , well, I decided they needed Uncle / nephew time, and I was tired. So, I set up right next to the trail, had a GREAT night sleep, as usual. The next AM, I caught up with them, sleeping on the ground on the side of a fairly steep hill. I had to wake them both up, even the 17 year old was moaning & groaning about how bad he had slept on the side of the hill. I laughed & said "I slept great!" My work partner said, and not for the first or last time: "Shut up Gary!".

Poor groundlings.

Now he or I wouldn't say that!
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

My favorite story was camping with a friend. We were on a knoll above the creekbed, but on the downside of a steep hill that was cutting wind for us. I strung up my (lawson) hammock and went to sleep, even though the clouds opened up like pouring buckets. In the morning, I learned that my hiking partner was bailing water from his tent most of the night. The runoff from the hill created a small creek, completely flooded his tent. We're not talking wet, we're talking about 4 inches of standing water. I never noticed, just listened to the raindrops on the fly and swaying gently. Ahhh, nice. Needless to say, his pack was a good bit heavier that day too, as EVERYTHING was soaked. The Lawson sucked (in general), but still better than a tent.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123