Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks for all your insights Acer and krshome,

After considering your thoughts I think I will stop at 33" for the head and 26" for the foot end. I had another superb night at those lengths and at this point I don't see a point in going lower as it will fit under my tarp. Obviously I would have a wreck if I kept going and I believe that I have met my objective so what is the point? I was using the 83% of spreader bar factor as my "absolute low as I would go" cut off point.
    If I do go to trekking poles at some point I may have to rethink these numbers.

Anyway thanks again, without your info I wouldn't have done anything!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I am still at 32" for my amsteel triangle pieces,,or dogbones as everybody calls them and its not bad at all at this length,,going to leave them there and keep on laying in it at this size and enjoy the triangles as they are. Not going any lower.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Wild nite of sleep as was all over the place,,lengthening the amsteel suspension back to 34" and see if its more stable as 32" long is not stable enough for my liking.

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images

Shortening Triangle Suspension Lines on RR?

I've been following this thread with great interest as I'd like to get my RR to fit better under my 12ft tarp.

I'm not trying to go crazy short and I like the current hang. So what length would you recommend shortening the head/foot with almost zero noticeable stability/hang difference?

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I don't have a problem hanging every nite in the house and when it gets warmer outside,,with the dogbones at 35 and now 34" long each. Thats for both ends. Anything below 34", for me,,it gets pretty squirrelie especially when I toss and turn at nite if I am trying to sleep with alot of business on my mind. If on my back,,everything is ok,,but when I wakeup and find myself on my side,,and hammock is tilting pretty radical,,that is what I call squirrellie. Reason I kept both ends the same is to match my 80" wide tieouts on the sides of my cuben tarp for the bridge hammock spreader bars of the BMBH UL of which I had the tarp modified for. Tarp with the tieouts works perfect for the RR too, but you have to keep both ends of the dog bones matching in length. 34-35" and I can almost get my Dutch Buckles to my 1" straps inside the hammock when I am not in it, as it measures 12' 2"..now if I get in the hammock,,it will all fit nicely under the tarp with a couple of inches on each end to spare. Hope this helps a bit. If your wanting to test dogbone sizes,,what I did was put a locked Brummel loop on one end of each dogbone. On the other end, I just measures as perfectly as possible,,and buryied the loop of amsteel about 8 inches or longer in the piece,,so that I could later on pull it out and keep shortening or lengthening each dogbone in testing. Once I find where I like the lengthes,,,after all this testing is done,,then I take a needle and some apostery nylon thread,,and sew a couple of loops thru the amsteel locking the buryied loop end in place to where it will never slide out. If I ever want to change it,,cut the thread and pull it all out and your ready to test again. Hope this helps.

Images
    Wow, you guys are something. I'm not sure I have the ba*ls to mess with it.

You wouldn't believe what I go through with the Vario stand( going to make a Turtlelady someday! ). Once I add the extension bar to get it barely long enough to use with this rascal, it flexes so severely that the center (floor) bar hits the ground and lifts one end off the ground! ( that is even after "pre-flexing" the uprights) That is scary! Took me a while to figure that one out. I have finally solved that one by raising the feet with 2X4s. I've never had any such problem with any other hammock, not even with the HH Safari. This is one long suspension! Mighty comfy once it is going, but long and wide. Was hanging in the woods yesterday, sure was easier with some trees far enough apart!

So, once you shorten these lines, how much shorter is your distance from end to end?

What about pressure on the bars, is that increased enough to cause problems, is this risking breaking anything?

BTW, I finally got my MW3 "short" UQ working superbly today with some creative suspension work!

Is anyone using a ridgeline with this baby yet? If so, what length?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-09-2013 at 20:39.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Wow, you guys are something. I'm not sure I have the ba*ls to mess with it.

You wouldn't believe what I go through with the Vario stand( going to make a Turtlelady someday! ). Once I add the extension bar to get it barely long enough to use with this rascal, it flexes so severely that the center (floor) bar hits the ground and lifts one end off the ground! ( that is even after "pre-flexing" the uprights) That is scary! Took me a while to figure that one out. I have finally solved that one by raising the feet with 2X4s. I've never had any such problem with any other hammock, not even with the HH Safari. This is one long suspension! Mighty comfy once it is going, but long and wide. Was hanging in the woods yesterday, sure was easier with some trees far enough apart!

So, once you shorten these lines, how much shorter is your distance from end to end?

My measurements are 12' 2" without me in the hammock from outside buckle to buckle on the straps,,loops,,dutch beiner,,all dogbones are under the tarp. It will shorten with my laying in the hammock and haven't measured it but then,,everything except the straps themselves is under the tarp. Cuben tarp has a 12' RL.

What about pressure on the bars, is that increased enough to cause problems, is this risking breaking anything?

Everytime I have shortened the dogbones I am taking and feeling the spreader bar on the head end,,and I just haven't noticed any additional flexing or bending or pressure what so ever,,on the head spreader bar. Maybe its just me, but I am not seeing the pressure on the bar at all.

BTW, I finally got my MW3 "short" UQ working superbly today with some creative suspension work!

Is anyone using a ridgeline with this baby yet? If so, what length?
    I am not using a RL and before this hammock have always used one. Just don't feel the need for the RL as using the saddle bags on both sides to throw things in them like my glasses or channel selector when I shut the tv off before falling asleep.

Hammock
    WBRR dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Shopping
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie\SLS
    Images
    Resurrecting this thread because I have just started playing with my RR and would like to know the general consensus about the "dogbone" length. I would like to shorten mine and wondered if any of you guys have long term reports. TheHangMan..Acer...BillyBob.. SpaceWeasel any RR owners that have modified their triangles??
    Last edited by MadRacDad; 07-06-2013 at 03:24.
    I think that I shall never see
    A poem as lovely as a tree.... Joyce Kilmer "Trees"

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    I also have a question in regards to your tarps. You guys are saying that you are having a hard time getting your hammock completely under your 12' tarps. If this is a problem why is Brandon only making tarps at 11'. If you could post pictures to help out with the illustration that would be awesome. I have a RR coming in the next couple of weeks and I would like to know what to look for to change. Right now I have the superfly but will be upgrading in the next couple of months to a 12' CF tarp from HG.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123