WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I would consider,,with a 3 piece head spreader bar,,as you shorten your lengths,,and the reason for taking out the 4" extension is to make the head spreader bar a 2 piece and much stronger. At 3 piece,,there is a ton of stress put on it by shortening the dogbones and more percentages of failure over time. Just my 2 cents and I know of one newbie user that already bent his head spreader bar. Good luck and post your testings.

Now you have me digging out my shortened pieces of amsteel and testing again,,,darn!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    For the past couple of hours been playing with shortening the triangle. I was at 37.5 inches on the amsteel that makes up the triangle. In past testing, for me, If I shortened the foot end more than the head end, it became very unstable, with myself laying a 30-45 degree angle when I would wake up. But in keeping both ends equal the stablity was perfect at 37.5. This afternoon, I tried 35" for both ends,,then 33" at both ends for the length of the amsteel to my Dutch Beiners,,and will sleep on it tonite and see how it handles. Its not too bad with both ends the same as I fell asleep laying in the hammock to stretch out the amsteel after making the loops at each end for a total of 33". At this shortness...will take it one day at a time and see how low I can go again, before being unstable. Couple of weeks back, after trying several diff. suspensions, I went back to Warbonnets Straps, but put on the Stanless Steel Dutch Buckles and made my own loops for them at 3" long to attach to a Dutch Beiner that connects the triangles of amsteel that are now 33" long. Will sleep on it tonite and see how it goes at this shortness and report back. If I were measuring a RL,,from Dutch Buckle to Dutch Buckle,,RL measures exactly 12" without me in the hammock and will decrease a bunch more under my 12' RL of my Cuben Tarps...perfect! Hope I like the stablitiy of this measurement.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHangMan View Post
    My first test report:
    Last night I reduced all the dog bones to 35". (I do use the full spreader bar at the head end.) The overall length apex to apex was 11'3", down from I believe it was 13'. ..........
    Thanks, I needed that info. Course, I could have measured mine, but that would be to hard if I can get you guys to do it.

I knew the RR was a lot longer on the suspension, but did not know the numbers. sounds like over 3 feet longer. That's a lot. My original BMBH has a recommended 9'6" between outer rings. My BMBH UL has even less.

I now understand better why JRB was always so resistant to widening the bars, despite lot's of folks wanting it, and despite the obvious ( to most folks ) comfort boost from widening. I always figured it was just tarp issues with the bars. But now I see that length was also an issue, trying not to need both longer tree distances and keeping lines covered by a tarp and maybe stability was an issue.

Trade offs, pros and cons. BTW, if you guys had a RL, what would the length be?

I just shorten mine to 37" on both ends and it feels great. I am thinking of shortening the foot end to 35" or even 33" and the head end to 35" or 36".

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I slept good at 33" with the amsteel triangle pieces at 33". And no wild swinging angles,,but when you get in and out,,you just have to take a little care as it will swing more getting in and out. Question I have in my mind over last testing, was the wilder swinging and wild angles I was finding myself in because I had shortened the foot end more? Or is it because I am now using straps over whoopies? Would the 1" straps make it more stable over the thin whoopies of 7/64th amsteel to tree straps? Have no idea,,but its stable when I make both ends the same length. RL from outside Dutch buckles to outside of other end Dutch buckle is 12' 2" without getting into the hammock. If I get into the hammock its going to be alot less with the weight in it, getting all hardware under my 12' cuben tarp (leaving the straps out in the elements) for rain and weather protection. Remember,,original amsteel triangles were 43.5 long, and RL was 13.3' from WB buckel to buckle attaching triangles of amsteel. And on a strap suspension that is also getting the loop of amsteel that attaches to the Dutch Beiner that is attached to the amsteel triangle. Think I will keep it here for a couple more days as I see no need for me to go any shorter. This would work for hanging on a couple of trees that were 12.5 or 13' min. distance apart,,need to try that for sure.

Hey, its nice seeing others testing the suspensions out on the RR. Keep on posting your results and lets see how far we can take this testing.
    Last edited by Acer; 03-03-2013 at 08:53.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images

For BillyBob58

Here is a few pics of checking out the width of trees I can hang this RR from with the modified suspension of 33" on the amsteel triangles. I first slapped it up on a set of trees that were 13.5' apart and found I had 8 inches of webbing left at each end, then went to a set a trees that were 12' 2" apart measuring with tape measure at the base of the trees and it still fit nicely and level enough to sleep in. This really gives me a choice of spots to hang the RR when I am looking for a place to crash in. Reason I didn't get into the hammock for a pic was because it was thawing this morning and muddy as all get out where I took the pics. This was a hasty hang as well just to take the pics without really adjusting anything either but will work without any problems as I see it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Test two:

I shortened the head end dog bones to 33" and the foot end to 26". I slept all night and it was fine for me. Maybe a little less stable, but for me it is perfectly fine. YMMV.

Overall length apex to apex is 10'3". I am happy with head end length of 33" but will reduce the foot end to 24" and stop there.

I have to say that the RR gives the best sleep I can get. I really like it.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The head bar on the Ridgeline is 39.5"/35.5", foot spreader is 28.5" By going shorter on the dog bones than the bar measurement your putting more stress on the bars. I would not use hiking poles!!! Good luck

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Professor Hammock measurements for the dogbones were always 80% or 83% of the length of the spreader bar for proper measurements on the spreader bars he used. My thinking is WB's spreader bars are a dash lighter, and more smaller diameter in size,,thus maybe not as strong as you decrease your dogbones increasing stress on each header bar. My hiking poles are stronger than a spreader bar in my opinon. But,,its just my opinion. I think TheHangMan is definitely testing the limits. What I didn't like was the squirrlieness as I went lower down to 80% of the foot end spreader bar with my head end at 35",,and he is definitely alot lower than me,,so good luck, and keep us posted on how you fare in your hanging. I might decrease my dogbones a 1 or so, but no more than 2" as I am fine where I am at with the coverage of my cuben tarps.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Ok,,,shortened the dogbones to 32" each on both ends and am not sure if I like laying on my side in the RR so will sleep on it a couple of nites and check it out if I like it or not. I really think I have reached my limit on shortening them any more than this and might just go back to 33" length, but will try it out and see how it works out. Will report later on my preferences. What I do really like tho is the fact,,I can get the Dutch Buckles on my straps under my tarp as the measurement without me in the hammock is 11'10" and will shorten when I lay in it with the straps only in the elements of rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast