Hammock
    DangerBird 72, WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Cuben Fiber Tarp - Summer or Winter use?

I've just taken delivery of my new ZPacks CF Tarp, without doors. It seems to have great coverage, great workmanship, spectacular weight and it should serve me well for years to come. I hung it this evening in about 35 deg with a light breeze. It seems to be draftier than my Mamajamba. Is it the way it was hung and the direction of the breeze or is a CF tarp more suited for warmer weather? It looks like such thin material so I'm wondering if I should expect more draft through it. I love the tarp and I'm not regretting my purchase at all. I can't wait to go to the woods with it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I use CF all year round. IMHO it was not the CF material that made things colder but as you mentioned the possible direction of the wind blowing through or under the tarp and not having doors to cover the ends up with as well. Another thing to is that with a CF tarp on a windy day you gotta pitch it pretty low to the ground to insure that wind is not wiping underneath you stealing your UQ heat. Hope this helps.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    More a function of how you hang it ... wind direction, how much space you have between the sides & ground and size of the individual tarp. Those sort of thing.

Same size Cuben vs same size Sil ... no difference in your temperatures other than the clearer Cuben will allow sunlight to warm the inside of the space more ... at least in my experience.

Both are water and wind proof and neither have any insulation properties.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    I don't think it's draftier in the sense that air is passing through it more than silnylon.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    DangerBird 72, WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the fast replies. The sides of this tarp are not as long as the MJ sides are and I know they were probably 12-16" from the ground. I did have a hard time getting it rigged so that the sides would be close to the ground, which would have reduced the draft, but not have the hammock/UQ dragging. I'm sure it was in the way I had everything rigged, I'm going to spend some more time on it this weekend.

Hammock
    DIY 4x9 1.1 oz ripstop (5.3 oz)
    Tarp
    ZPack Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    DG UCRs, Mule Tape
    Images
    I have the zpacks cuban tarp as well. It is half the weight of my silnylon tarp and I appreciate that. I was surprised how fluffy the tarp is. I have gone to carrying it in the netting pocket on the back of my pack, with nothing else.

I was under the hammock during a cold rain a week or so ago, and reached up to touch the inside of the tarp. A silnylon tarp is very cold to the fingers in that situation, but the cuban tarp was warm to the touch... I am guessing that silnylon wets through and I am touching wet cloth. The Cuban does not wet through and I am touching dry cloth.

After a windy night, I was surprised to find that the edge parallel to the ground had become a little floppy as though it had stretched. When I dried the tarp, it retained the floppy edge. If this persists as a problem I may sew a catenary curve in that bottom edge.
    Rick (Risk) Website: http://www.imrisk.com
    I cook. I sew. I walk. I lead. I hang. I write. I play.
    Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.amazon.com/Wildly-Success.../dp/B00COCI5HW

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

years of use? wind passing through? seasons to use?

I would bet that cuben is attacked by UV light (someone please confirm or deny this belief) so years of life might depend on how much you use it=I wouldn't leave it set up unused outside for lengthy amounts of time.
    Wind passing through? There is a test that tells at what p.s.i. water will penetrate a given subrate. Again I'd like a professional answer but cuben by its nature has got to be far better at water (or wind) penetration than nylon even when coated with silicon.
    Seasons to use? I use cuben (in sock form) year around now. It is the go-to fabric; but I used to say that about other materials over the years, materials that are now in the history books.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Couple of reasons I went to cuben,,was in heavy rain,,I found silnylon to mist in a hard rain,,and in a dewy wet even rain,,the inside of the silnylon would be wet when I got up and if I touched it in any way was wet. You won't get this with cuben. I love the transparency of cuben and being able to see thru. Enjoy your tarp as its nothing but cuben goodness from Joe of Zpacks. He makes a mean tarp and enjoy the lightness in packing it as its definitely way much lighter. It stretchs tight when hung and you never have to go back and re-tighten as well. Just take care of it as the big downfall of cuben is its not as abrasiveness as silnylon. Take a small repair kit with you just in case you were to get a hole poked in it sometime. Well worth the money in my book and best material going for tarps. Enjoy!!!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    speaking of cuben repair, best thing you can carry for it is transparent duct tape. and you can easily fix cuben in the field, more so than sil-nyl.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/HHEXUL
    Tarp
    Varies by weather
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    The Z-packs is 8.5 x 11', the Mamajamba is 10' x 11', the larger tarp will usually give you better protection.
    "only the paranoid survive" - Andy Grove, Intel

Search engines are your friend. Use "Site:hammockforums.net" in your search string.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast