Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I got qt size bottle at Big Blue store 10%. Any place that sell horse supplies should stock it.

Have also found it at REI (Sawyers), Neuse Sporting Goods Store and Tractor Supply Stores in NC

I hang my gear up in the back yard and spray it on and let gear hang until odor disappears (usually just a few hours)
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I've been using the Bonide Bed Bug Killer. If I remember right it was about $7 for 32oz. Ended up finding it in the gardening isle of the local farm store. I just figured out that the Bonide site has a search function to find a local dealer.

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    I forgot where, but I read a discussion (thread?) that the permethrin sold for animals (horses, etc.) in farm stores has many other chemicals that could be harmful to humans. A point made repeatedly in that thread was that the Sawyer product was the safest.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MamaJamba
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Discovered recently that not all permethrin is the same. Apparently there is a pharmaceutical grade and a pesticide grade, with the pharmaceutical grade being purer and having a slightly different ratio of "bad" stuff to "not so bad stuff", although all grades are labeled as safe for humans. Also, permethrin is insoluable in whichever delivery solution (water or petroleum distilate) is used. I have found that it is the petroleum delivery solution that I don't like the smell of. Pesticide grade will typically have a petroleum base which allows it to "stick" to plants and animals better until the distillate evaporates off and the permethrin bonds itself. I have turned to Bonides as having the least offensive odor because it is water based and I can buy it fairly cheap. But all the above suggestions are valid especially if you don't mind the slight smell.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpiper View Post
    This least offensive smelling product I've found is bedbug killer from Bed, Bath and Beyond. It comes in gallon size and ships free. It was a tip from another member. I paid $20, but it looks like it's on sale right now. I also keep a spray bottle of sawyer in the vehicle...
    Already treated gear/clothing the other day with Sawyers left over from last years big sale at Sawyers. But, just ordered some Bonides from BBB, could not resist 13.93 including tax and shipping for one gallon! I notice it is clearance, hope it is not out of date or something!

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Already treated gear/clothing the other day with Sawyers left over from last years big sale at Sawyers. But, just ordered some Bonides from BBB, could not resist 13.93 including tax and shipping for one gallon! I notice it is clearance, hope it is not out of date or something!
    It's been a while since I've read up on shelf life. But IIRC, it's about 10 years. The concentration decreases by X amount per year. So, over time you might have to be a little more generous with your application.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL - 144" TadPole
    Insulation
    WL -3/4UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbiner
    I use , Repel Permethrin Clothing & Gear Insect Repellent Aerosol 6.5 oz. (0.5%). I like the Aerosol can instead of the spray. Plus it's $5. I have used on clothing, tents, boots. I new to hammocking so I haven't treated my hammock yet but I plan on it. I usually treat a bandanna too which I tie around my neck at camp and mosquitoes never bother me.

South Carolina Mike

Getting Begun is Only Half Done

http://www.youtube.com/user/SouthCarolinaMike

Hammock
    1.9 DL Switchback
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps n Rings
    I went to Tractor Supply for some permethrin and found Gordon's brand 10%. I hesitated to buy it because it contains "petroleum distillates" and I'm concerned that the smell will stay in my clothes and gear. Has anyone used this brand?

Tractor Supply link:
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...-spray-8-fl-oz

Gordon's link:
    http://www.pbigordon.com/pdfs/Permethrin-10-SL.pdf

They also had some 40% made by Y-Tech but I can't find a reference to it on the web. It also contain petroleum distillates.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by LFCRed View Post
    I went to Tractor Supply for some permethrin and found Gordon's brand 10%. I hesitated to buy it because it contains "petroleum distillates" and I'm concerned that the smell will stay in my clothes and gear. Has anyone used this brand?
    Yes, I have used it (still have a little) and you are correct, it leaves an oily smell on fabric.

I have found only one source for "un-smelly" Permethrin (none of it is totally odorless), and it is sold for residential use in the home, which I consider a lot safer than stuff sold for farm livestock. Here's the link--

http://www.bugspraycart.com/insectic.../permethrin-10

Having posted that link, I notice that the photo shows Gordon's product. However, both times I have bought from them, I have received Martin's. Just sent them a note asking what's what.

Here's their 800 number, should you wish to call-
    800-877-7290

Anyway, I've tried the Tractor Supply stuff (Gordon's) and it's smelly. Now I stick to Martin's.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    As Knotty pointed out to me at MAHHA, one thing to consider is that when you dilute the 40% stuff, you'll be adding 79 parts water to it to get a 0.5% mixture. And seeing that it has a higher percentage of Permethrin to start with, it'll have a lower amount of "other stuff" which will also be diluted 79:1.
    I'm curious as to how much smell would be in such a diluted mixture.
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast