Images

Cold weather testing w/snow....in MS

So I decided I was gonna get a chance to do a little cold weather testing (well cold for central MS) and I step out in the backyard and what is falling on my head? A widow maker? NO Bird poop? Nay, thankfully. SNOW!! WT???.

Tenny Tiney pellets of snow (more likely sleet). The wife and kids were shocked. It's only 38* so nothing sticking. I know this has nothing on my new hammock friends to the north but you go with what ya have.

MS snow in March.jpg

Images
    Got to do a legit test of the minimal gear I have. 30* bag, DIY pad. It was a very warm and snug nap. I'm gaining confidence in the gear and the temps. Should be good down to at least the low 30s. Next project is a revision of the DIY pad.

Wife still thinks I'm lying about being so warm on a cold day in the hammock. Final temp...34*

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaddy View Post
    Got to do a legit test of the minimal gear I have. 30* bag, DIY pad. It was a very warm and snug nap. I'm gaining confidence in the gear and the temps. Should be good down to at least the low 30s. Next project is a revision of the DIY pad.

Wife still thinks I'm lying about being so warm on a cold day in the hammock. Final temp...34*
    Way to go, DaddyD! We MS boys have to deal with occasional cold and snow also, and we are not very acclimated like our northern bros! And anyway, it can still be a big challenge if you are using less equipment. So that is a good first try! Way better than my first!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaddy View Post

Hey Daddy - Which DIY quilt type were you using?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing

Snow

Sounds like you had fun. We had flurries here in North Alabama all day yesterday. I thought (I knew if I ever got into the hammock I would probably be there until my nap was over). I like to see the snow no matter how slight it may be. Had to go for a hike around the neighborhood with the dog just to enjoy the flurries.

Hammock
    12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle

Re: Cold weather testing w/snow....in MS

I'm in MS too and I was happy to see a little snow... very little.

We've had a few good cold nights this winter. I a few weeks ago I had a troublesome night in the 20's, good experience tho.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cbamos View Post
    Hey Daddy - Which DIY quilt type were you using?
    Actually not a quilt but a cobbled together pad (actually pads). 1/4 inch closed cell pad with 1" egg crate attached. I disected two pads and put them together for a wider pad to see about size I ultimately wanted.

Next version is 1/2" closed cell in a DIY SPE 30"x48" with 3" wings. All this from a $25 Polyethylene plank purchased online. Should be ordering the 1.1 ripstop nylon this week and sewing (with my sainted mother) this coming weekend (maybe). This plus bags should be good to go into the low 30's. I'll be able to make some pillows from the scraps of the fabric as well (Bonus!).

Working on our first overnight hang for later this month or early next month with the kids. Can hardly wait.

• + New Posts