Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie

Winter hanging in White Mt. National Forest?

My girlfriend and I are headed on a week-long wandering road trip through Maine and New Hampshire later this month. We'll start the trip with a day in Kittery and Freeport, then start exploring.

I want to end up in North Conway, NH so I can get fitted for a pair of hiking boots at Limmer's. I'd also like to spend a couple of nights in the hammocks, weather permitting (our gear is good down to about 20*F).

I expect to purchase a White Mt. Nat. Forest annual parking permit. I didn't find much information on camping rules on the WMNF website. Anyone from the area or hang there often? Any input from Maine-iacs on good winter hanging spots also appreciated!

Thanks,
    desmobob

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

Linclon Woods

A great flat hike in, many places to hang on side trails. There are some restricted areas which are marked.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/white...74669&actid=50
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Dang.

Is Warren's Lobster place still open on the Maine side of the Memorial bridge? If it is, please go there and have dinner and tell me about it.

I have to do my Warren's vicarioulsy these days.

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
    My girlfriend and I are headed on a week-long wandering road trip through Maine and New Hampshire later this month. We'll start the trip with a day in Kittery and Freeport, then start exploring.

I want to end up in North Conway, NH so I can get fitted for a pair of hiking boots at Limmer's. I'd also like to spend a couple of nights in the hammocks, weather permitting (our gear is good down to about 20*F).

I expect to purchase a White Mt. Nat. Forest annual parking permit. I didn't find much information on camping rules on the WMNF website. Anyone from the area or hang there often? Any input from Maine-iacs on good winter hanging spots also appreciated!

Thanks,
    desmobob
    UPDATE::: OOPS! LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE CLOSED FOR THE WINTER! KEEP THE LINK, THOUGH. GOOD PLACE!

===> Look up the campsite at "The Desert of Maine" in Freeport. It is a real inland desert, created by the ice aged glaciers, and only began revealing itself some years ago. Now, it is a 500 acre attraction. They have a nice campground there, and are hammock friendly - I took my family hammocking there last summer. Good staging place for the outlet shopping close by, close to the highways, and nice folks. Good general store, and "Butterfly Room" as well. Interesting place to hang. Let them know you want to hang - site # 10 was the one we used, and were able to put 3 hammocks up easily.

http://www.desertofmaine.com

Give em a call - great place. I hope they are open in the winter. If so, I highly recommend it!

Good luck!

~ SkyPainter
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    A great flat hike in, many places to hang on side trails. There are some restricted areas which are marked.

Thanks for the tip! I just need to keep my fingers crossed for some warmer-than-normal overnight temperatures while we're on vacation, so we can hang the hammocks.

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Dang.

Is Warren's Lobster place still open on the Maine side of the Memorial bridge? If it is, please go there and have dinner and tell me about it.

I'm already thinking of the lobster feasts we'll be enjoying. I'll check on Warren's after we cross the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPainter View Post
    UPDATE::: OOPS! LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE CLOSED FOR THE WINTER! KEEP THE LINK, THOUGH. GOOD PLACE!

===> Look up the campsite at "The Desert of Maine" in Freeport. It is a real inland desert, created by the ice aged glaciers, and only began revealing itself some years ago. Now, it is a 500 acre attraction. They have a nice campground there, and are hammock friendly - I took my family hammocking there last summer. Good staging place for the outlet shopping close by, close to the highways, and nice folks. Good general store, and "Butterfly Room" as well. Interesting place to hang. Let them know you want to hang - site # 10 was the one we used, and were able to put 3 hammocks up easily.

http://www.desertofmaine.com

Give em a call - great place. I hope they are open in the winter. If so, I highly recommend it!

Good luck!

~ SkyPainter
    I read about the "desert," but from what I read, it was caused by poor land use and subsequent erosion. No matter how it got there, it sure looks interesting. I suspect it will be covered in deep snow at the time I'm there....

Thanks,
    desmobob

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images

I'm already thinking of the lobster feasts we'll be enjoying. I'll check on Warren's after we cross the bridge.

Thanks,
    desmobob
    I'm not sure the Memorial Bridge has been rebuilt yet. Its the one that comes out of downtown Portsmouth, not on the Interstate. I know they were floating in a new section, but not sure if its gotten hooked up yet.

Warren's is a great place, right on the harbor. Its been there since I was a kid. You can look out the windows and see them unloading lobster pots right there.

Be careful of that lobster, though. Its dangerous. If you put a piece on top of your head, your tongue will bore a hole through your brain trying to get to it.

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images

I read about the "desert," but from what I read, it was caused by poor land use and subsequent erosion. No matter how it got there, it sure looks interesting. I suspect it will be covered in deep snow at the time I'm there....

Thanks,
    desmobob
    ===> The desert was actually authenticated by the US Geologic Survey as a 'Glacial Event' - the sand is made up of ground-up rocks and soil created as the Great Ice Sheet slowly ground its way across the planet. Humans put the topsoil over it, but over time it began to reveal itself again. Up over 500 acres at the moment! The campground was fine, and it is close to all the shopping locally in Freeport and other places.

~ Sky
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

I'm not sure the Memorial Bridge has been rebuilt yet. Its the one that comes out of downtown Portsmouth, not on the Interstate. I know they were floating in a new section, but not sure if its gotten hooked up yet.

Warren's is a great place, right on the harbor. Its been there since I was a kid. You can look out the windows and see them unloading lobster pots right there.

Be careful of that lobster, though. Its dangerous. If you put a piece on top of your head, your tongue will bore a hole through your brain trying to get to it.
    Yeah, the bridge is still out, but you can get off at the the exit for 236 and hit Warrens from the Kittery side.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I just got back from spending a week in the White Mountains and every night the low was about 0 degrees +/- a few. Highs were in the teens. Beautiful country, but check the weather carefully.

It was 80 degrees when I landed back in Florida
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post

Thanks for the tip! After arriving in North Conway on Thursday (2/28) and spending some time taking the Snow Coach up Mt. Washington, we headed into Lincoln Woods from Conway Village and parked at the Blackberry Crossing trailhead. We crossed a covered bridge and headed west along the river, then off-trail to the south. There was plenty of snow and the woods were beautiful. Just as we started to set up, it began raining. That rain turned to snow by late evening. We had a nice fire and a couple of bottles of Cabernet to keep us warm and content. We both slept warm and comfy, but hated taking down the frozen snow-and ice-covered set-ups the next morning.

Dang.

It's still open and we stopped for dinner, thanks to your mention of the place. (The bridge is still closed but you can get there easily from the Kittery side.) One part of me wants to tell you it was absolutely awful, but I'm sorry to admit it was wonderful. Neither of us felt like having lobster (we boil 'em at home every once in a while), but the appetizers and entrees we had were very good, as was the salad bar. We had no room for dessert so we hopped in the car and headed for Freeport in a blinding snowstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I just got back from spending a week in the White Mountains and every night the low was about 0 degrees +/- a few. Highs were in the teens. Beautiful country, but check the weather carefully.

It was 80 degrees when I landed back in Florida
    I know the weather is unpredictable there, so we planned our camping nights only after checking the weather forecast. Our week in Maine and New Hampshire was a good one for weather, with daytime highs in the upper 30's and lows in the high 20's or higher most days/nights. (And not a breath of wind up on Mt. Washington while we were up there; 95MPH the previous night!!!)

I'll post some photos from the trip in a few days. The views from the Otter Cliffs Trail on Mt. Desert Island in Maine were spectacular. If you haven't been to Acadia National Park, it's worth a visit, in my opinion. And the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire is equally beautiful. But winter is not the best time for sight-seeing there (lots of fog and clouds block the views), although it does make for some great skiing and snowshoeing!

Photos to follow on Sunday or Monday.

Take it easy,
    desmobob
    Last edited by desmobob; 03-02-2013 at 20:54. Reason: Corrected trailhead name.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast