Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images

Re: Survival weekend?

Yeah sounds like fun. Informal buncha folks honing their outdoors awareness. Have thought alot about getting out to do something like this.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by evilleotter View Post
    My brother-in-law and I discussed having the same kind of weekend this spring/summer. He's up in Indy and I'm in E'ville, but depending on when it is, we might want to join you guys. I always learn better when more heads can share ideas and techniques. Keep us posted on date ranges and I will talk with him about joining your weekend. Thanks for the invite.
    Go to Harrison on 74, take a Left & take a Left. In about 20 minutes you is there.

The directions are a bit more complex than that, but you get the idea.

From Cincinnati: Go to Harrison on 74, go Right then Left. Not the way I go, but do not what any to get lost.

FWIW: I am taking notes on all the tips. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Doctari; 03-04-2013 at 19:05.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Many years ago,,My cousin and myself did the "All American Mountainman" stint,,when we were shooting flintlocks at the Nat. Muzzloading Shoots all over the US and Frendship, Indiana,,,we had to live in the woods, with just our flint/steel, one trader blanket, knife and rifle and ball/black powder for a couple of weeks with no food. Had to literally live off the land, build our shelter, and survive for entire 2 weeks..we made the grade but it was not without difficulites. Cattail can be eaten,,

I also went thru Panama Jungle Warfare School in mid 70 for 2 weeks with just a knife. It was living hell, but I made it,,and needless to say, that school is now shut down.

Have fun doing this as it will teach you alot as well as teach you about some limitations. I think everybody needs to test their abilities and see what their limits are. It will definitely make you think about your surroundings. Let us know how you do on this.
    Last edited by Acer; 03-04-2013 at 19:19.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I just talked to Matt, he has been taking a few survival skills classes since last we talked, so should be able to share what he learned. Cool!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    K, I finally got around to checking on the fishing regulations: I don't need a license, y-all do.

FROG SEASON- Frog season is open from 6 p.m. the second Friday in June through April 30. Only bullfrogs and green frogs may be legally taken. Not more than 15 (singly or in combination) may be taken or possessed at any time. Frogs may not be shot except with a longbow and arrow.

TURTLE SEASON- Turtle season is open from July 1 through April 30. Turtles may not be taken by shooting with a gun or crossbow, or by use of a spring or steel trap. Only snapping and softshell turtles may be legally taken. Snapping turtles and softshell turtles must have a straight-line carapace length of 13 inches or greater to be taken and there is no daily limit on the number that may be taken. A turtle trap with mesh less than 4 inches square must have an opening at least 6 inches in diameter leading from it. Wings and leads are unlawful. The trap must be marked with the name and address of the owner or user in English language.

LIVE RELEASE OF FISH- Any fish not of legal size or not legally caught must be released immediately. Handle it carefully with a wet hand or a wet towel so it can be freed unharmed. If the fish is hooked deeply and the hook can't easily be removed, cut the line to release the fish. Tearing a hook out can harm a fish so badly that it may not live.

Channel Catfish must have a minimum length of 28” & a limit of 1 per day.

Bass must have a minimum length of 12” & a limit of 5.

Licenses are:
    $19.00 for Residents 16 to 65.
    $10.00 Residents 66 & older.
    $11.00 1 Day license for residents & not-residents.
    $19.00 3 day nonresident “tourist’s license”.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Alright!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ever since watching Joe Teti kill that Hawaiian wild pig, I've wanted in on that action!

Oh, wait........is that hunting?

Nevermind.

Sounds fun, Gary. I could use some practice. I'll let my friend Mark know about it, too. Right up his alley, and he's finally come around to the hammock way.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    One of my hiking partners (Matt) has been talking about doing a Survival weekend for a while now. His plan is to do survival stuff, but in comfort. That is: we bring our regular backpacking stuff, but set up to learn & practice survival stuff as if we had minimal stuff....
    This is a great idea for a hang.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    This is a great idea for a hang.
    Yes it is! I wish it was my idea.

Hammock
    Home Made from Acer
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images
    Yo Doc....

I have done 18th Century re-enactng for 0ver 20 years, and before that, I have some military training in this as well.
    I make fire with flint and steel, you can use char cloth, or punk wood, its about the same. gathering food is pretty good, as long as you know what to look for. I would like to go it the timing is right..

See ya at the Hoosier Hang..
    Jerry
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Every trip I go camping with my sons (all adults), I typically set them one or more challenges. They've made improvised shelters using only their "oh sh(oo)t kits", made fires by flint & steel, with one match, and with friction (bow drill). The next time we go out, their fire challenges will be to 1) make a fire about 30 feet out into the lake large enough to signal with, or cook with, and 2) make a fire with tinder/starter that I've thoroughly soaked with water first. We've talked about doing a weekend run with just our kits, but haven't done so yet. But I can say at this point, they understand a lot more about how to use what they carry with them to solve a multitude of problems!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast