Hammock
    WB Blackbird SL 1.1
    Tarp
    Mamajamba, Diamond
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Amsteel SRS

Smallest size for the diamond asym tarp?

Hi,

I have WB Blackbird, and want to try diamond asym tarp. I have a choice between two (smaller is much cheaper because made of spinn, not cuben):
    1) 126", 102", 98", 59" (spinn, 4.7 oz)
    2) 132", 102", 66", 103" (cuben, 4.4 oz)

Are this 6" critical or that's fine?

Blackbird has 100" ridgeline (here is a picture, if somebody forgot :-)). I love to pitch my tarp 1 feet above the ridgeline, but I understand that small tarp needs to be closer.

Also I can have stuff sack as a head end protector and raincoat at the foot end.
    Last edited by Roma; 03-03-2013 at 08:55.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    The problem I have with most asym tarps is one side is usually a little short on windy rain conditions. I'd go for the larger of the two as it most likely a little better at this than the other, plus the larger cuben tarp is probably lighter than the smaller spinn tarp.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    The Blackbird is kinda a beefy hammock (wider than average) due to the shelf area. If you're not staking the shelf area out, you should be okay with the smaller tarp--but I've got to say that that's an awfully small tarp.

I use an asym tarp made to DIY Gear Supply's dimensions, with 6" added to the ends (I have an 11' hammock before whipping, rather than a 10'6", like their hammock plans suggest), and I still need an undercover in blowing wind and rain. I dual-use a poncho for that; it's shown off in this post.

I've stayed dry in the edge of a tropical storm with this set-up; the only issue I had was with water intrusion at the whipping knobs--the tarp didn't want to stay centered over them. Since then, at Black Wolf's suggestion, I've added a pair of mini 'biners to the tarp suspension to keep it in line with the hammock suspension. No problems since.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WB Blackbird SL 1.1
    Tarp
    Mamajamba, Diamond
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Amsteel SRS
    plus the larger cuben tarp is probably lighter than the smaller spinn tarp
    4.7 for spinn and 4.4 for cuben, but huge difference in price (spinn is on sale).

If you're not staking the shelf area out, you should be okay with the smaller tarp
    Yes, I understand, that I shouldn't stake the shelf area.

I still need an undercover in blowing wind and rain.
    I plan to use 3/4 or even 2/3 UQ with water resistant down and DWR, it might help with some splashes. Don't have any poncho, I use jacket and pants instead (but now I see great advantage of poncho :-)).

But maybe I should think about some peace of cuben (or even any lightweight material, even not waterproof) to use it like undercover..

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roma View Post
    4.7 for spinn and 4.4 for cuben, but huge difference in price (spinn is on sale).

Yes, I understand, that I shouldn't stake the shelf area.

I plan to use 3/4 or even 2/3 UQ with water resistant down and DWR, it might help with some splashes. Don't have any poncho, I use jacket and pants instead (but now I see great advantage of poncho :-)).

But maybe I should think about some peace of cuben (or even any lightweight material, even not waterproof) to use it like undercover..
    Well, if you go the poncho route, there're several different methods of suspending it; the most popular is shock cord. Matter of fact, Jacks 'R' Better sells a kit to change a DriDucks poncho into an undercover.

But...if you get a good DWR breathable undercover (2QZQ sells 'em, among others), it should shed enough rain for your underquilt to stay dry. Buuut...it will still be soaked with water, negating some of the weight savings of using a tiny tarp. Trade-offs...
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WB Blackbird SL 1.1
    Tarp
    Mamajamba, Diamond
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Amsteel SRS
    And what about of dual use of space blanket? It might be useful as emergency kit and also double as undercover for rain storms (not on daily basis)?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird SL 1.1
    Tarp
    Mamajamba, Diamond
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Amsteel SRS
    I've decided that there is no big difference (both tarps are small but just enough) and bought MLD UL Hammock Tarp for $70 + $5 shipping. For the price of syl diamond I will play with twice as light. Will try it in May. :-)

Friend of mine used an ENO FF with his WBTraveller on a night when they let us know they may have to evacuate the campground because of flash flooding and he stayed perfectly dry all night. That's a 112" Ridgeline roughly. Pitch low in bad weather

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I Have the MLD asym tarp. It seems to be adequate and you can use your poncho, rain skirt, a garbage bag or whatever else you have in your pack in a pinch to cover your gear.
    I mostly use mine for "fair weather" hikes where the chance of storms is nil, but I would use it in the run of the mill showers. There is no room to spare though. In steadier rain, you are pretty much pinned down in your hammock (not necessarily a bad thing though).

Here are a few pics of this tarp that I found in my picture. In the first picture, notice the "ridgeline" under the tarp. This is a ridge line that is separate from the end ridgelines. I use it to give the tarp some sharpness at the ridgeline area, as the tarp is one piece with no seams, and it is a good clothes line too:

The tarp had good coverage over the end. The side coverage was decent. I did have the tarp in "porch mode". There was some light rain during the evening, but I was set up in a very protected area and had no wind. These were the only 2 pictures I could turn up in my files.

I almost forgot, BearChaser might have some photos of his Cuben Asym. He used it in some pretty good rain in October last year and had to use his rain skirt and rain jacket, but pretty much stayed dry.
    Last edited by Country Roads; 03-03-2013 at 17:50. Reason: Add additional info

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roma View Post
    And what about of dual use of space blanket? It might be useful as emergency kit and also double as undercover for rain storms (not on daily basis)?
    Definitely. I use a space blanket as part of that system I showed in the earlier post, as a semi-Garlington insulator. It's good down to about 50* F for me (I'd say 55* to 60* for most folks) as under insulation when crumpled into the undercover.

It also lives in my ditty bag as part of my emergency kit. With that, I have an high-visibility area for SAR to find me, part of an emergency quilt (between that and my poncho, I can stuff forest duff to make an E-quilt), and an emergency tarp that can be coupled with my poncho to make a bivy big enough to sleep under and stay dry(ish).

Great multi-use item, for sure.
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast