Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    I hiked the Rose River Loop Trail Nov 2011 and had a blast. Beautiful trail. Awesome views. Proposed to my wife while sitting atop Rose River Falls. It also backs up to Big Meadows campground so if you want to camp and hike you can. Or you can get a permit to allow you to camp out on the trail. I camped out over top of Rose River Falls. Gets bitter cold in that section at night. All the cold winds kindof funnel though there at night. You can visit to water falls using this loop. Its about 4 miles with alot of elevation change. Here is a Link to the PDF.
    I will check out this loop hike as well for yet another option in the Shenandoah park area
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

The Hiking Upward website is an excellent resource for planning hiking trips in Virginia. I have been on quite a few and personally prefer the hikes in the George Washington National Forest. http://www.hikingupward.com/

One other note... sometimes hikes are marked "0" for camping. Often this means camping is prohibited but sometimes it means there are no suitable camping areas. However, those of us with hammocks don't require that nice flat patch of land. So if you want some evening solitude, you could pick a hike marked "1" for camping.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks!
    I appreciate the insight and info.

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Michigan Man lost in Northern Virginia...
    Hammock
    DIY "Bed Zeppelin", BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole & Dutch
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I'd be interested in meeting up in the latter part of July. Agreed, it is very warm that time of year, but it might limit some of the traffic. I am a regular traveling in the SNP - PATC Map #10 region. Old Rag Mountain, Robertson Mountain, Nicholson Hollow... those are my areas. Old Rag area is very populated daily, but if you get out in the hollow trails, you sometimes never see a soul. Kepp me posted if you settle on a loop or trail, hopefully somewhere in the central to north end of the SNP and I'll tag along for a night or two.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for all the input.
    I substituted a Virginia hike in July with a Laural Highlands hike here in Pa. in August with Yoda on the forums.
    There is a thread started here on the forums for that multi-day 80 mile hike through the Laural Highlands of Pa.
    I am looking again at Virginia for Spring of 2014.

John Denver--1943-1997

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12