Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

We get some spectacular lightning storms, issues with hangin during one?

Ok, we were all told when we were kids not to get near the base of a tree during a lightning storm. This makes sense. I've often been out on a hike when a storm brews up, complete with a lightning light show for our enjoyment. During these, I've always been in a tent on the ground waiting for a tree to land on me when it gets blown over in the wind. I no longer carry a tent, only a hammock. I've weathered a few storms in the hammock, but have wondered how smart that is. (No storm when setup, but during the night it kicked up. I was already warm, dry and comfy by the time the storm kicked up, so I stayed). How safe is the hammock during a storm? I'm thinking it's not a great idea to be hangin in those situations. Thoughts?

Images
    I think this is a great question...one I have pondered from time to time.

I suspect we are at less risk typically if we choose smaller, and thus shorter trees. Usually those trees are more desirable to hang from anyway, because you use less of your suspension up going around a smaller tree. Also, choosing small trees amongst many large trees would probably be smart.

I am interested to hear from those with more experience but here are a few threads about lighning:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ight=lightning

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ight=lightning

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    I think being that your off the ground means you aren't grounded in which case I don't think electric current would goto you as you are not the path of least resistance. Just speculation though.

Images
    From CajunHiker's post: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...7&postcount=13

Dielectric ability is an important quality of polypropylene rope. Should this rope touch a live electrical wire it will not conduct the electric current. Because polypropylene rope acts as an insulator, electricians and tree workers who work around live electrical wires use polypropylene rope.
    Noone seemed to pick up on this quote that CajunHiker posted in that thread. Does this mean polypro webbing could insulate from lightning travling along the suspension?

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Seems like your biggest worry is where it strikes the tree I could see it melting your treehuggers and dropping you on the ground

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
    Seems like your biggest worry is where it strikes the tree I could see it melting your treehuggers and dropping you on the ground
    Good point! LOL...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Path of least resistance. Which in this case is down the tree to the ground. I had the exact same concerns when I started hanging. I was living in the lightning capital (Florida) at the time and had genuine concerns. After it was explained by people much smarter than me on a good day, I never worried about it again.

Spending my teenage years in Wichita, I can sympathize with you Narwhalin. There's no thunderstorm like a Great Plains thunderstorm.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Spending my teenage years in Wichita, I can sympathize with you Narwhalin. There's no thunderstorm like a Great Plains thunderstorm.
    True 'dat!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    Does this mean polypro webbing could insulate from lightning traveling along the suspension?
    Not if it's wet... lightening travels on surfaces for the most part.

I agree that the hammock and suspension are unlikely to be the best circuit to ground, which would necessarily go through another tree.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    I don't think there is any safe place in the outdoors from lightning. There are places that are more dangerous than others and things you can do to improve your chances but lightning is some powerful stuff. Trees can explode, you can get blasted out of caves/rock overhangs like you were in a cannon, it can go from trees to shelters to you, etc. Seems like lightning has killed people from out of clear skies maybe 30 minutes before a storm hit or even 30 minutes after a storm passed.

You don't want lightning hitting any where near you whether you are on the ground or in a hammock, but a hammock or a ground pad when on the ground might help if it does. I was waiting for some friends in a quick rain last spring at Neels Gap on the AT in north Georgia. I heard two thunder claps, one from their direction and another on the other side of me. The one near them scared the crap out of them. Later that day I passed a group of two couples with 2 live dogs and 1 dead dog. That other thunder clap hit a tree at their campsite along an exposed ridge. It traveled along the ground and killed the one dog, the other two dogs where with the couples in same the vicinity... but they where in tents on sleeping mats. Of course having four legs on the ground was a factor.

Oh, I just remembered. There was a guy who died from lightning while hanging in his hammock a few years back. He was out camping but I don't recall where he was at.
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast