DIY 1.1 Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Flat Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Down Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Pad vs. Underquilt

So I am new to the forums here. Found the forum through BPL and am very interested in the idea of underquilts. I have used hammocks for as long as I can remember but have never had an underquilt. I live in Utah so my trips have been in the Uintahs where temps are generally cold at night. We always used a CCF pad with a properly rated sleepign bag or top quilt and never had problems with getting to cold. In terms of lightwieght I would think the CCF pad trumps the underquilt so I am wondering what your opinions are on this. What are the benefits of each and which is preferable for lightwieght backpackign and hammock use?

ccf is bulkier but lighter and waterproof. UQ's comfort hard to be rivaled in my own experience. If weight's the only concern ccf is absolutely doable, if you can feel a pea under your mattress I'd go quilt or high quality pad. my .02. Also CCF gives you the option to go-to ground if you're in an area where it's a possibility you might have to.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Flat Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Down Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

RE

The option to go to the ground is always good even though I hate to do it, I have had to do so in order to fish some high mountain lakes above tree line before.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym,USMC Tarp
    Suspension
    Beeners and Rings
    Thats what Im talking about! True fisherman!!!!!!! Very nice indeed. Now the truth, was it for the sport or were you out of food ?!
    Luck is the meeting of Destiny and Hard Work.......................................

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zscott View Post
    The option to go to the ground is always good even though I hate to do it, I have had to do so in order to fish some high mountain lakes above tree line before.
    Go above treeline to fish and then back down to sleep .

In all seriousness - depending on which quilt you choose, the weight difference can actually become negligible. The Warbonnet Yeti is only 13 ounces and brings you down to 20*. All you need is a small (2'x2') pad for your lower legs and feet.

Pros/Cons are the following for me:

UQ pros:
    - More comfortable for most people
    - Do a bit better job at lower temperatures (well below freezing)
    - More comfortable
    - Less possibility for 'sweaty back' or 'cold shoulders'

Pad pros:
    - Cheaper and sometimes lighter (although not always - see above)
    - Allows going to ground in an emergency (hopefully this can be avoided)

Personally, I go with the UQ - I need the comfort - that's why I switched to hammocks to begin with.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Like this?

I currently have both set ups since recently acquiring a 15* 800 fill down sleeping bag. I will be testing the the bag/pad rig for the next 3 nights with temps predicted to be in the high 20's/low 30's. Common for where I"m hiking & fishing this year.
    Picture is of Lightning Lake, which is on my bucket list. Will be coming in from the south over the plateau. Trek is 2 days in, 2 days out with stops at other good lakes a little lower in altitude. Lightning Lake is known for its big golden trout.
    Will post a review of the bag/pad later. The big problems with the high altitude hikes are high winds and storms with lightning along with an occasional blizzard.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Flat Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Down Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

RE:

Always fishing for sport, but I also like to eat them as well. I picked up an old down sleeping bag off the FS forum a while back so once I get around to turning it into an underquilt, I will have a better idea of that world. It seems from the various posts on this topic that it comes down to preference. (Seems to be that way with just about everything in life.)

Lightning lake and Golden Trout..............Sounds like something I should be doing. Have fun!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym,USMC Tarp
    Suspension
    Beeners and Rings
    In my case realistically I cant afford to drop three hundred bucks and dont have time for a DIY. I just spent over $150 on a self inflating pad and by golly I am gonna use that sucker!! Like it or not we are gonna make it work!!!! Until further notice, Pad for me ! Unless, someone is interested in a Summit Self Inflating Pad!
    Luck is the meeting of Destiny and Hard Work.......................................

Anyone using the Hennessy Double Bubble Radiant?

Anyone use one of these? How does it perform in the summer? Too hot? Looking for a pad for low in the 60's w/ a 45 degree bag. Looks like it would also be nice as a second bottom layer.

bubblepad-440px.jpg

Since there are occasions where I am hiking in scrub with no trees I do have to go to ground so I plan on using a pad. What pad is best to dry (I know they are waterproof but some might hold water better on there surface) and would be good to an absolute minimum of 20° farienhiet, whither appropriating rated sleeping bag of course
    Last edited by floridaman; 03-01-2013 at 20:59. Reason: grammar

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast