WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Question What to do with dogs?

Any hangers out there go camping with their dogs? My friend always brings his, (tent sleeper) and it makes me want to bring mine. I don't know with to do with them, mainly to make sure they're warm, dry, and contained from chasing wildlife though the night. They have packs to carry their own food and water, for day hikes, plenty room left in them too. Tent? Bivy sack? Maybe a cottage vendor needs to make packable, down dog house with a bug net zipper door Mine are bull terriers, so both being in the hammock is way too much, much less one.

Hammock
    $20 yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    enLightened UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Why a bug net? Just think wolves are fine sans bugnet. I have a silnylon tarp in case it rains. Get a harness (dogs can slip a collar) and some utility cord and tie the to a tree. Worst case they can hide under you and your hammock. Bugs shouldn't be an issue just rain

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The bug net wasn't really for them as much as for me to look in and check on them. As for tie outs and harnesses, that works most the time, (except when my female chews though her leash and/or harness, for the umpteenth time) but my dogs have very short hair and don't do well in cold conditions, so rain and cold/wind are issues around here. They'll sleep in a big canvas kennel I have but she doesn't do well tied out, and the big kennel its to heavy for any of us to hike with.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    There are dog tents available. Otherwise, a small kid's tent will work.
    Better yet for them:

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Mine always comes with me unless it against the regulations. He sleeps on a pad on the ground in the winter inside my tarp with a custom synth quilt made for him. 3 seasons his sleeps wherever he wants.

S

I put mustard and relish on my dogs...

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Scout The Wonder Dog carries a 20 foot plastic sheilded cable in his pack. I wrap that around one of the trees the hammock is hanging from and then he decides where he will sleep. Usually he's outside the tarp in a little place he's scratched out of the leaves and stands guard through the night. I've heard him growl-woof a couple of times out there. When its cold or raining, he comes inside the tarp with me and sleeps on the welcome mat. He's learned how to get in and out without getting tied up in the tarp lines---most of the time.

We take our dog Max as many places that we can, he loves the outdoors and loves being with his family.

I applaud your question as the time spent with your best friend(s) should be as safe and comfortable as possible.

One thing to consider is making sure that all shots are up to date, flea and tick meds are up to date or applied prior to going out, dogs can get lymes too and ticks are little + hard to see through a dogs fur.

What we have done for Max is Adia (my better half) cut up and sewed together a insulated bog coat out of a wiggys poncho liner. Then I took the leftovers and made a sleeping bag for him. When we go out we bring along a 1/4" pad (gossamer gear pad) cut down to the appropriate size for Max, a tyvek ground sheet (again cut to the appropriate size), his coat and sleeping bag. One thing that we always have is a space blanket, this item has been used many, many, many times for him and has kept him very warm. In some cases too warm and he moves out of his "nest" (so to speak). All this is placed under her tarp (Adia's), and we have weathered some nasty storms like this and he has been perfectly fine. Just make sure that your tarp is hung extremely low on the side where his bed is, so no chance of getting wet from rain, or rain splash.

As far as securing him to our camp for the night, what I did was make two 7/64 amsteel whoopies, two tree straps (with fixed loops on each end), a SMC ring and a biner. The whoopies and straps are all hooked together, it goes: strap---whoopie---whoopie---strap.

All four are permanently attached so nothing can be lost, well except for the ring and biner, but we clip these two together and then to the strap so they can't be lost.

Wrap one strap around the tree and feed the rest through the fixed eye, then wrap the other strap around the other tree and clip the biner, use the whoopies to tension it up. The SMC ring slides along the whoopies with ease and his leash is larksheaded to this then clipped to his collar. This is kept as low to the ground as possible and with enough slack that he can't trip. He has freedom to move as he want's/pleases, and so far every time we have used this system he has never had an issue. Now he doesn't chew on his leash or stuff, just sticks and toys he knows he can destroy, unbelievably smart he is......they all are actually!

Below you can see a couple pic's of what we use for Max, hope they are clear enough for you to see what I try to describe.......

Good luck, having Max (our dog) with us is always a chore but we enjoy his company and love him as though he was one of our kids...and I'm sure you feel the same about your dog's!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

I really want to make a DIY version of the Grand Trunk Mozzy net to camp with my dog. I could set it up and zip him in at night with a pad. He is calm so he wouldnt try to leave through the netting. I think it would be an awesome setup for hiking with the pup.

Hammock
    DangerBird Clark North American
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles/Link
    I have had in mind something similar to the mozzy net myself. I am always worried about the flying creepy crawlies and I don't want my boys to have to deal with them either.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast