Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mine is pretty easy. Set up camp at night while my daughter was asleep. Set the hammock on a hill side over looking lake travis. Lots of hills for miles, we up pretty high and had a great view of the TX hill country. My daughter wakes up and pushes her hair out of her eyes and looks across at the view and say one word. WOW! And we watched the sun finish coming up. I am glad at a young age she is able to see the beauty i see in nature.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY winter
    Insulation
    ATP
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing

Tropical encounters

Right after I graduated high school, my dad took me to Costa Rica to check out the biodiversity (excuse the nerdy-ness, I'm a zoologist). I grew up in the midwest and had only crossed the border once before, into Canada.

Our first day there, we went to a private forest reserve near Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui. We had to cross a footbridge over a river to get there, and halfway across a staircase went down to an island in the river. Down there, we saw lots of pumilio dart frogs.

After lots of pictures and excitement, we climbed the stairs and crossed the rest of the bridge. Right at the end, this huge spectacled owl landed 20 feet away and stared at us. I managed to get a picture...

...before a group of toucans came in and chased him off. I was blown away by the abundance of wildlife. It was about 6 years ago now, but I still remember it plain as day.

That was the same trip that I first tried a hammock too

Hammock
    DIY 11'er
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ all around!
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    About two years ago a group of about 10 of us were camped on top of the ridge on the Buckeye Trail in the Ouachita National Forest. That morning everyone was waking and milling around camp and it was before sunrise. The usual morning greetings were being made and a couple of us had made our way up to an outcrop of rocks that stands above the site. As the sun began to rise I realised the whole camp had fell silent as we were all hypnotized by the beautiful disply in front of us. I dont consider myself a particularly spiritual person but in that moment I felt as though everyone of us were connected to the Universe

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    When I was stationed at Camp Pedleton in the 70's, I got invited to go trout fishing at a remote lake on the base. There was one tree next to the pond and a Bald Eagle hanging out in the tree. I was thinking that was pretty cool as I had never seen one in the wild before. I no sooner landed my first trout and bam the Eagle swooped down and took my fish. After the loosing the second trout to the Eagle I gave up fishing. Found out the Eagle had a name...Jesse James. It became such a problem that it was captured and relocated way up north
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    One stands above others...at the top of Nevada Falls in the Yosemite, looking out at the Valley, where I'd horsed around many year before with my dad, now again with my dad and my kid screwing around (nervous eye on him, he and cousin could go over in a flash), and Dad says, "I guess I'll never see this sight again." He was 78. Could have been talking about the view, or worrying about kids or being with me where we'd been together before, or about all of it. Guess I'm just sentimental...

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Toggles
    Hanson's Point at Red River Gorge in the summer of 2010.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell everything you know.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I was doing a solo at Hoist Lakes in NE Michigan this past fall and it was amazing. Great colors! I set up camp the first night and went down to the small lake to filter water. When I looked up there was a black bear also getting water about 50 yards from me across the lake. Got some dirty video and grainy photos. What an awesome moment!!

Or the group of girls that decided to skinny dip right in front of my at 8AM last spring while I was having my coffee at Nordhouse Dunes.

Let's call it a tie!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Most Amazing Moment in The Woods...

...was when I had the epiphany that I liked living in the woods more than I liked living in a house.

Still holds true. Sadly, so does my reality.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Wow, just one.....Was it with my Dad and older brothers when I was too small to carry a gun or fishing rod? My first fish, first squirrel, or the bear? Camping with fellow teenagers, with my son and the young boys from church? Was it the time my 3 year old daughter climbed with me up the side of Amicalola Falls in North Ga? Or was it yesterday when I went hiking at Raven Rock with that Son, now 40, and that Daughter, now 44, and her Husband and kids, Luke, 15, Susanna, 11, and David, 9.Maybe it will be this summer when I get to introduce all of them to Hammock Camping!

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I think that mine was when I first spent time in the Smokey Mountains. I was raised mostly between West Tennessee and the Midwest. I met my husband when I was living in West TN and we took a trip to the Smokies, where I had never been before. When we arrived I couldn’t believe that I had missed visiting this area. I love the Smokies and Blue Ridge Mountains. They are such old mountains and I much prefer them over the harshness of the Rockies. I love the lushness, the diversity of the flora, the rocks, the springs, the vistas, the azaleas, rhododendrons and all the other wildflowers and the fall colors. They speak to my soul and I find them very healing. I took two rolls of film with me on that first trip—Gene asked if I had enough and I said “Yes, I never take many pictures.” Famous last words! I used both rolls the first day and used five more during the trip. I enlarged and framed several and one is hanging over my stove. See not great pictures of a picture:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast