Hammock
    DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY cuben tarp
    Insulation
    pad/sleeping bag
    Suspension
    tree-huggers
    Wow. What a cool story! I haven't been blessed with the opportunity to see such a thing yet, but I can't wait until I get my turn.

There are so many to choose from, so Ill just go with Mr Bubbles. It was last summer Me and a friend got time off together we hiked the 13miles from our job at Old Faithful into our campsite at 3 river junction (straight up epic campsite on a peninsula between two rivers, some nice old growth fir, a nice hot pool just across one of the rivers, and close enough to hear the falls) we got there with maybe an hour left of daylight. Hammock camped of course, woke up the next morning broke camp and hiked the mile and a halve back to Mr bubbles, which is the closest thing to a jacuzzi you'll ever find in the world. The hot spring is located at a slight bend in the Ferris fork where the cold water of the river mixes with hot water coming from a central jet of hot water that was running at full force when we got there and frothing up the water real nice in the middle there are also 3 other places where hot water run in, so the water temperature varies depending on where you are, so you can always find a comfortable spot. It was just a perfect trip, nice weather, good company, long enough but not overly exhausting, an awe inspiring place, and because it was the very end of the season we only saw two other people out there.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    "... our job at Old Faithful..."

Dang! Nice job!!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps

Top of Round Mountain

It was day two of my first multi-night backpacking trip (2 nights, three days), up on SHT. It was wet and cold. We were pretty uncomfortable, and making worse time than we expected. We came to the spur trail at Round Mountain, and my friend had to sit down. Maybe I should have rested too. But the top of Round Mountain was calling to me. So I dropped my pack and made my already-tired legs carry me to the top.

This is Minnesota, so breathtaking views aren't part of our everyday lives. This was among the most beautiful views I've ever seen.

The inland view was more impressive in the moment, but the picture can't do it justice.
    IMG_2463.jpg

The view of Lake Superior was also spectacular.
    IMG_6484.jpg

The rest of the day was wet and cold (the rain only got worse). That night was rough, as there were hardly any trees from which to hang at the only campsite we could reach. But dang, it was all worth it for those few minutes on top of Round Mountain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234