WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

Te-Wa Breeze + what = comfy in winter?

I need some veteran advice.

I would test my options out in my backyard, but since Sandy and that freak snow storm all the trees in my yard are broken in some way and it is very dangerous to hang under them at this time. So unfortunately I cant safely test my gear out in my backyard.

I am a cold sleeper (as in I feel warmer than others with colder temperatures) and have a Te-Wa Breeze with 1 ounce over stuff...I believe can get me to around 35. I say believe because I haven't actually tested its limits. I would be doing that now if only my backyard trees were okay

I still have my therm-a-rest pro lite 3 pad and a full thing of ccf. How low do you feel I could get with the combination of the Te-Wa and either the therm-a-rest or the ccf?

I am in the market for an UQ, but waiting for magical money to float in my hands (maybe xmas?). I am also trying to convince my girlfriend to help me sew an UQ....but i scared!

I don't anticipate experiencing temperatures below 10 - 15 F. At least this season.

My top quilt is a 3 year old model Speer that I bought from a member who said they were comfortable at 30 F. I could wear layers to compensate for any cooler temperatures. Plus I bet I could go a bit lower than that in it.

Idk, I just wish I had my backyard trees to test all of this stuff out. Its funny cause I was waiting for so long for cold weather so I can test the lower limits of all this gear and them wham! Sandy and all my trees are now not safe. I know this is all relative and varies from person to person, but I cant keep my mind off my gear and I would love to see what you folks think! I would love it if I can attend the winter hang in the Pine Barrens this year and not be restricted by my gear.

Thanks!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    I can't give any insight, but if you do get a chance to test it or take it out, give us a report because I was eyeballing that uq and would love to hear about your experience.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    let me know what your lowest temps got to.. if you test the quilt alone someday. 35 may be good for you. i once used on w/ overstuff to 31.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Thats awesome, a reply from the man who made my quilt!

Thats right I do remember you saying that during our correspondence pre-order. I will be sure to let you know as soon as I find out. I am waiting on a coghlans digital thermometer to come in so I can record and get some statistics.

Jrprince - I would like to tell you that I have used the under quilt multiple times in temperatures ranging 40's - 60's (I dont see the need for one any warmer than 60's) and it is wonderful! After I got over the learning curve, set up was very easy. I really like the shock cord on the left side that connects to the hammock pull out so it covers my left shoulder better and helps prevent sliding. The craftsmanship is top notch. When I got it I looked it over and found no flaws. Plus, the customer service is excellent, TeWa took the time to answer my noob questions, and this thread. Pretty awesome stuff.

Its very light weight and packs down super small. On my scale the quilt and stuff sack weighed 10.1 ounces. Hek yes. I am also short so the 3/4 covers my shoulders to my ankles (for once I was happy about being so short lol!) My friends all marveled at it and they are getting ready to ditch their pads and get an underquilt - this all after I got them in to hammock camping. Pretty soon their wallets are gonna hate me and they may not want to hang out any more xP

When I get a chance I will be sure to update you folks on it. Thanks for the replies.

I am willing to bet with the breeze and a CCF or therm-a-rest I can get to mid 20's.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    While I'm unable to answer your specific question at this time, it sounds to me like what you need is hammock stand to setup with. Then your trees will be a non-issue.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    While I'm unable to answer your specific question at this time, it sounds to me like what you need is hammock stand to setup with. Then your trees will be a non-issue.
    lol so true! Honestly, one of the trees that is of grave concern is actually my neighbors tree. The top crown of it is hanging over their fence and right over our shed. I was thinking of putting a polite note on their door to hopefully provoke them to take action and cut the top down or something. Cause you know, its been what two - three weeks?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    Any update on this?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Actually its been oddly too warm here in Jersey. But the temps are beginning to drop and I am headed to Maine in two Weeks...an update will be fourth coming. Most likely this weekend, if not, then within the week.

Although the trees in my backyard are still messed up, so I may have to wait till I go to Maine...but I got to say I have been itching to hang and test this gear out, so I may do it if not over night, then a good few hours. (don't think I could get a good nights sleep knowing death looms over head)

Hammock
    Traveler SL 1.1 w/ diy tulle bugnet
    Tarp
    Z-packs cuben
    Insulation
    BurrowTQ &BreezeUQ
    Suspension
    dynaglide whoopie
    I used my te-wa breeze with 1 ounce overstuff to approximately 32 degrees and was VERY cold. In the low 40's to upper 30's i was doing alright with midweight poly pants and shirt (and a wool cap) but as it approached freezing i added a downjacket and i think a few more layers i had on and could not shake the chill. If there was no wind i might have fared better, but it was a fairly gusty night. The prior night was around 45 with decent wind and i slept well.

I love it in the 70's to low 40's but don't think i will try it lower without additional layering such as a uqp or thin pad below my back.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    How about it, Dead?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast